Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loose Skin? Lap Band Success Stories?

Hi, I'm located in NYC. I'm 25 years old and considering lap band surgery at NYU. I am 5'4 and 260 pounds. While about 75% of me is for the surgery i still do have concerns that hopefully some of you can inform me on. I was wondering how many of you have had the surgery and had loose skin afterwards? I've read that the younger you are the less likely you are to have loose skin . I've also read that because the lap band doesn't make you loose weight as fast as the sleeve or bypass, another reason why i many not have loose skin. But i wanted to know how common it is with the lapband. Secondly, how many people have had this surgery within the last 2-3 years and have complications? I've been told that the newer lapbands are causing less complications in comparison to the older ones.

I'd rethink the lapband. A lot of people have had those removed, and most surgeons won't do them anymore. They've largely been replaced by the sleeve.

you may or may not have a lot of loose skin. A lot depends on how much you have to lose and how long you've been overweight. If you're talking 100+ lbs, then yes - you'll probably have loose skin no matter how fast or slow you take the weight off.

I want to add that most of us are worried about loose skin when we're pre-ops or early post-ops, but for those of us a ways out from surgery, most wonder why we worried about it. It's such a minor thing in the grand scheme of things. It's really easy to hide for most of us, and I would say most if not all of us would take the loose skin any day over being morbidly obese again. ANY DAY!

also wanted to add that I did eventually have my loose skin removed, but this is a picture of me BEFORE I had it removed. I lost over 200 lbs, so I had a TON of it. See it? Nope. The right clothes will hide it well!prepscrop.thumb.JPG.f3029553f1eb737a36bcf131cc49c744.JPG

Edited by catwoman7

I’m going to second what catwoman said. I was very worried about loose skin pre op. Boy, do I have it! Belly, breasts, thighs and arms. However, I wouldn’t change my decision to proceed with my VSG. I’m so much healthier, have so much more energy, look better in clothes (and can choose clothes that I actually like rather than just what fits). I’m scheduled for plastic surgery next week and the loose skin will be gone. This surgery is by far the best decision I ever made.

I had my 4cc Lapband surgery in September 2007 and currently have 1cc of Fluid in the band

Most of my loose skin is around my mid section and thighs and upper legs so it is easily hidden.

I may at sometime in the future have plastics

Best decision for me was to have the Lapband

I echo the advice of those above: do your research on a different type of WLS other than the lapband. Even if you find a surgeon to place yours, there are fewer and fewer surgeons and fill/unfill facilities so if you have issues down the line, you may not find someone with the background and experience to help you out. Lapbands were a big trend years ago but are seen as arcane now. Today's trend is the Sleeve...this also may one day go the way of the band. The Gold Standard is the Bypass which has decades of data supporting its efficacy. (It is also reversible if needed.)

With that said, I have had a band in place for almost 8 years. I'm one of its rare success stories with no issues. While I never made it to goal (my starting weight was similar to yours), I'm at a weight that is fine for me. No significant regains really, but when I do start climbing back up the scale, I know what to cut out. Not sure if I still have restriction/hunger dimmed by my band....I do a lot of the maintenance work myself.

I had loose skin but I'm much older than you. It wasn't due to "quick" weight loss---my weight came off at the same rate as a traditional diet such as WW. It was just from having been obese. So two years ago, at age 60, I had a Tummy Tuck. It was absolutely life-changing. Best thing I ever did for myself. Not only do I love my tummy for the first time in my life, but having had plastics ensures that I keep my weight off and keep exercising....I would never want to ruin the results of the tummy tuck.

Here's a photo of my tummy now---90% of this is the tummy tuck, 10% of it is my core work that I do every day to keep everything strong and toned. Sorry this photo is so large....something happens when I upload photos to this site. Normally it is much smaller!

Good luck as you move forward but please: do your research, talk to other WLS patients to see their experience with the different surgeries out there.

1053680327_yogatummy.thumb.jpg.9a42d8dd073f11cf3a338f55b8491e4b.jpg

My stats were close to yours...i have a lil pooch but not much saggy skin. My weight loss was slow and i took care of myself. I also work out everyday.

I didnt have many complications. Really not being hungry was a thing for quite a while...and having to force myself to eat. I also had a short bout with finding foods that worked for me. She still has her days where she is hard to figure out! But its much more predictable!

Edited by funky_monkey800

You may want to consider different surgery and even a different center. I had my lap band put in at NYU Langone and it was a drive through process (same for husband, sister in law and brother in law). They didn't really care - they just needed to check the boxes. When my band slipped, the Dr that did my surgery couldn't have cared less. She just left me in the hospital not being able to even swallow Water. I went ot a different surgeon for removal. Good luck but please do your homework first.

I should add that the loose skin is from weight loss and not a particular surgery. You are young and that is on your side with the elasticity of your skin

Edited by LoveSimcha

Hi, I am also new to this forum and live in NJ. I am much older than 25 🙂 and I am scheduled for lap band surgery next week. I don't have 100 pounds to lose, my goal is 60-70 pounds - I am not so concerned about loose skin, I am more concerned about my hair. I have seen people who have had gastric surgery and their hair always looks dead with no life. I am hoping the Vitamins will help - has anyone had any hair issues? Vanity lives deep within:-)

On 2/13/2021 at 12:32 AM, LoveSimcha said:

You may want to consider different surgery and even a different center. I had my lap band put in at NYU Langone and it was a drive through process (same for husband, sister in law and brother in law). They didn't really care - they just needed to check the boxes. When my band slipped, the Dr that did my surgery couldn't have cared less. She just left me in the hospital not being able to even swallow Water. I went ot a different surgeon for removal. Good luck but please do your homework first.

I should add that the loose skin is from weight loss and not a particular surgery. You are young and that is on your side with the elasticity of your skin

OMG, I am scheduled to have lap band surgery next week at NYU Langone - Now, I am petrified!! You said the doctor was a "she" and there is only one "female" doctor at that location. How long before you had the band removed? Can I ask with the other doctor said? Did he say she did a horrible job?

17 minutes ago, CynthiaLuc said:

OMG, I am scheduled to have lap band surgery next week at NYU Langone - Now, I am petrified!! You said the doctor was a "she" and there is only one "female" doctor at that location. How long before you had the band removed? Can I ask with the other doctor said? Did he say she did a horrible job?

The "she" that is there now did my husbands band and he is good with it. The dr that did mine is no longer there. My dr didn't do a horrible job with the surgery, she just should have never done a lap band on me due to the angle of my stomach.