Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Gross & Gassy (Warning: I describe in detail)



Recommended Posts

I don't mean to get graphic here, but I'm having a rather embarrassing problem.

I'm a few weeks shy of my 1 year post-op anniversary, and have just recently been able to tolerate more solid foods like certain fruits, vegetables and grains after several months of difficulty. While this is a great relief, I can't help but notice I've been dealing with the ABSOLUTE WORST GAS of my entire life. I mean, we're talking really loud and smelly farts (again, sorry to get graphic) that are probably capable of killing a nest of rodents (which would save on extermination, but ya know...).

So the question I have is, has anyone else ever experienced this, and if so, what helped alleviate it?

I've been trying to get a hold of my surgeon but haven't been able to get through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

those are all complex carbs. And have Fiber. My system is a mess if I eat too much fiber, but for me too much means at least 30 grams a day. My experience is more bloating and abdominal cramps, though (although that's probably due to trapped gas). I just have to watch my fiber intake. I have to eat enough to keep things moving, but not enough to rile up my G/I tract. It's a continuous balancing act...at least for me..

Have you researched SIBO? Someone on another bariatric site I'm on has that. If so, supposedly low-FODMAP diets help.

anyway, good idea to check with your surgeon. I'm just throwing things out here - your issues may be due to something else.

Edited by catwoman7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's only natural when you eat cruciferous vegetables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

That's only natural when you eat cruciferous vegetables.

well yes - and then there's that!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these foods that were in your normal diet and tolerated well before surgery? It sounds like it may be a matter of adaptation of your gut biome (all those little buggers that live in your intestines that help digest your food.) A probiotic may help repopulate your gut with the bacterial species appropriate for digesting what you are now eating.

This is an adaptive thing, and our gut adapts to what we eat; make big changes to our diet and the gut needs to adapt to the new diet. Vegetarians can eat a lot of legumes and cruciferous veg that would have most of us farting to the moon are hardly bothered by them because their gut has adapted.

Just having WLS and the major dietary changes (along with the anti-biotics that can kill of some of the gut bacteria) that typically go along with it can cause digestive problems owing to the biome no longer being compatible with the diet; a malabsorptive procedure such as the RNY or DS compounds this as it also changes the way digestion is done, but we adapt over time. Now you are adding in a new phase of changes that the gut needs to adapt to. It will pass in time (so to speak) but a broad spectrum probiotic can help speed the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following this- I’m having the same problem right now and backtracking on what I’ve changed. Today my abdomen was so painful and distended I couldn’t work out and that makes me super cranky. I did try this new Keto Cereal called Catalina crunch that I’m in love with but I can’t take the gas and change in BMs. I’ve not had issue with anything I eat since surgery- bah humbug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, DenverGirl88 said:

Following this- I’m having the same problem right now and backtracking on what I’ve changed. Today my abdomen was so painful and distended I couldn’t work out and that makes me super cranky. I did try this new Keto Cereal called Catalina crunch that I’m in love with but I can’t take the gas and change in BMs. I’ve not had issue with anything I eat since surgery- bah humbug

it may have plugged you up. Then when gas starts backing up behind that and can't get through - OUCH! Been there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2021 at 1:28 AM, catwoman7 said:

those are all complex carbs. And have Fiber. My system is a mess if I eat too much Fiber, but for me too much means at least 30 grams a day. My experience is more bloating and abdominal cramps, though (although that's probably due to trapped gas). I just have to watch my fiber intake. I have to eat enough to keep things moving, but not enough to rile up my G/I tract. It's a continuous balancing act...at least for me..

Have you researched SIBO? Someone on another bariatric site I'm on has that. If so, supposedly low-FODMAP diets help.

anyway, good idea to check with your surgeon. I'm just throwing things out here - your issues may be due to something else.

I spoke to the bariatric nurse and It's looking like it's my body getting used to complex carbs and fiber again. I meet with my surgeon this week and I'll know more, but based on what she said, it looks like that's the issue. She told me to try a probiotic and it has provided with some relief. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, these were. and you're right, that's just what the bariatric nurse said. My body is basically trying to readjust to complex carbs and Fiber. The good news is that taking a probiotic seems to be helping some. :)

On 1/4/2021 at 7:42 PM, RickM said:

Are these foods that were in your normal diet and tolerated well before surgery? It sounds like it may be a matter of adaptation of your gut biome (all those little buggers that live in your intestines that help digest your food.) A probiotic may help repopulate your gut with the bacterial species appropriate for digesting what you are now eating.

This is an adaptive thing, and our gut adapts to what we eat; make big changes to our diet and the gut needs to adapt to the new diet. Vegetarians can eat a lot of legumes and cruciferous veg that would have most of us farting to the moon are hardly bothered by them because their gut has adapted.

Just having WLS and the major dietary changes (along with the anti-biotics that can kill of some of the gut bacteria) that typically go along with it can cause digestive problems owing to the biome no longer being compatible with the diet; a malabsorptive procedure such as the RNY or DS compounds this as it also changes the way digestion is done, but we adapt over time. Now you are adding in a new phase of changes that the gut needs to adapt to. It will pass in time (so to speak) but a broad spectrum probiotic can help speed the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×