Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

College Student - Gastric Bypass during semester?

Hi,

I've been preparing to have laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery for a few months now. My plan has been to go to school part time (only taking two classes; Linear Algebra and Data Structures) this coming spring semester (starting in a couple weeks) , and have the surgery during the semester, probably in February. With Covid-19, being in school after the surgery won't require much physical activity on my part; just sitting in my apartment at a computer desk, writing math problems or doing work on a computer. But it occurred to me recently that I really have no idea how I'm going to feel after the surgery. If I'm always going to be tired and unable to focus, that could be a problem, because I can't just not study and do homework for two weeks straight. Would any of you be able to tell me how you felt after your surgeries? Do you think you could handle beginning to study at home again a few days after surgery?

Thanks,

Dan

I think you will be fine! The biggest issue is fatigue, but you should be able to find a little time each day to take a nap to recharge your batteries!!

I did it during grad school.

I thought I’d be able to zoom into one of my classes the day of surgery, though... and, uh... that didn’t happen. I ended up with a lot of nausea and vomiting and they knocked me out for several hours.

I didn’t have any trouble academically as a result, though.

I just had my bypass last Tuesday and honestly I think you'll be ok. Yes, there is more fatigue, but you only sleep constantly for the first few days. You still sleep more (or at least I do) thereafter, but I'm up and able to focus etc. Your mileage will vary of course. Good luck!

I worked remote prior to the "pandemic" breaking out. I had surgery on a Thursday. Was out of the hospital on Saturday. Took the next week off and returned to work on the following Monday. I was tired all the time and went to bed about 8 pm every day for a couple of weeks. I think you shouldn't have much of a problem with your plans. Good luck!

I did mine during grad school also. Thankfully though I’ve been on break. I think if I didn’t have kids, I would have only needed a couple days and could lay/sit in the bed and do homework/class. Especially since grad school is like 3944782 papers and 4848272 discussion boards. Lol.

Thanks so much for all the helpful feed. It's given me some more to think about. Working ahead could be a possibility, at least in one of the classes. We shall see. I could also do it over Spring Break in March. It's later than I want, but wouldn't be the worst idea.

Oh, that's not very nice. I had an operation on my shoulder, but I more or less endured it, although I could not cope without help. I couldn't move my arm, so I only went to lectures. A service where I pay someone to write my research paper helped me with my homework, I used https://paperell.com/pay-for-research-papers for this. It helped me a lot. Because I couldn't write anything myself. I couldn't move my arm for a month and then worked on my arm for 2 more months. It was a long and not pleasant process. But I have even less compared to your problem.

Edited by tomhanks22

If everything goes as expected you should be fine. For peace of mind You could ask about the incomplete process. If you were to have any complications and couldn’t keep up with classes or catch up you most likely could get a note from the doctor and take an incomplete which allows you to finish the classes the next semester.

On 1/5/2021 at 4:51 PM, Overt28 said:

Thanks so much for all the helpful feed. It's given me some more to think about. Working ahead could be a possibility, at least in one of the classes. We shall see. I could also do it over Spring Break in March. It's later than I want, but wouldn't be the worst idea.

I would say do it during the spring break. You need time to recuperate. Some folks may have it easy but sometimes you may need more time and you don't want the extra stress of school at the same time.

I was in school and my term was hectic, a semester of work squeezed in 2.5 months. So I had postponed my surgery by 2 months and got it done during the break between terms. And I was so glad I did that. First week more or less you're knocked out and don't have the energy to do anything (I was on 1 week clear fluids diet post-Op). After that full fluids for 3 weeks. Fatigue and lack of energy persisted at least for 2 to 3 weeks. So I was grateful for the break time.

I would recommend if you can, do it during your break time and you'll thank yourself. It a huge change for your body and also your eating and drinking habits. It takes time to gradually move over.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:32 PM, Overt28 said:

Hi,

I've been preparing to have laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery for a few months now. My plan has been to go to school part time (only taking two classes; Linear Algebra and Data Structures) this coming spring semester (starting in a couple weeks) , and have the surgery during the semester, probably in February. With Covid-19, being in school after the surgery won't require much physical activity on my part; just sitting in my apartment at a computer desk, writing math problems or doing work on a computer. But it occurred to me recently that I really have no idea how I'm going to feel after the surgery. If I'm always going to be tired and unable to focus, that could be a problem, because I can't just not study and do homework for two weeks straight. Would any of you be able to tell me how you felt after your surgeries? Perhaps learning will be somewhat easier if you use to write an essay, but how satisfied can a student be with this. Do you think you could handle beginning to study at home again a few days after surgery?

Thanks,

Dan

It depends on how important education is to you right now. More precisely academic performance and how you will learn new material. In the first week, in any case, you will not be able to study full time and your performance will be reduced. When I was at school and had an operation, the semester in terms of academic performance was much worse.

Edited by NickFW

I can't comment on the operation, but I can comment on the morning sickness. I'm not much of a puker. I've always had a strong stomach and never had problems vomiting unless I got the illness. Morning sickness is unconcerned to federal university is still selling post utme form. I had HG during both pregnancies, with the first starting around 8 weeks (it took 7.5 months before I could eat more than Snacks and 1 small meal a day) and the second at 5 weeks. That's how I found out I was pregnant. I puked so hard that I peed myself. And the medications they provided me didn't always work.

Edited by Liroychic