Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 mths post op- can’t eat More than 2 bites

I had my surgery in August, I’ve lost a ton of weight but never been able to drink or eat as much as recommended.

It can take me nearly 6/7 hours to consume 16 ounces of clear liquid if I don’t eat any food

If I eat food it’s typically 4 hours before I can consume liquids again

When I do eat I can only get down 2/3 bites max. Usually after the first bite I feel deathly I’ll sick and close to puking.

After 2/3 bites if I push further then I throw up

I’m consuming 200-400 calories a day max

I tried going back to purred food but even puréed potatoes I can only do 1/2 bites of.

I can’t finish a Protein Shake or a bowl of soup

I feel horrible for hours after eating even when I eat only 2 bites worth

I’ve tried all types of foods. Protein/meat makes me the most sick. I absolutely cannot eat bread/grains/rice/pasta at all. I absolutely cannot drink Water or juice without throwing it up.

I’m basically living off Gatorade zero’s, some chicken broth, and maybe 4 bites a day of food (eggs, chicken, ground turkey/beef)

The food that feels easiest for me to consume is potatoes but I think that’s only because I can purée them so easily to a very easy to consume consistency

It hurts so bad to eat that I hate eating, and I thought I would be more healed by now being 5 months out

I’m losing weight rapidly with no signs of stopping but I feel weak and am not as mentally sharp. I also feel faint often. And I know I’m not getting the nutrition my body needs.

Any advice on how to get my body to accept more food/liquids?

I’ve talked to my nutritionist and doctor to no avail. Besides telling me just to eat more and drink more which just leads to puking.

I'm not sure what to tell you...However, I've found that certain foods agree with me more than others: hummus, chicken, shrimp, and salmon, Core Power Protein Shakes, Almond crackers (eaten with hummus). I can't tolerate ground beef or steak, and most Protein Bars make me feel nauseated. It came down to trial and error for me.

As for getting Water in---I sip, sip, sip---little by little all day. I hope you are able to find a solution that works for you.

At the 5 month mark I also had difficulty eating more than a couple bites. For me it was less nausea and more of a strangled feeling. It seemed to be almost a mechanical blockage. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice because I didn't do anything to resolve it, it just eased up over time. My surgeon did say that if it didn't get better in a month or two he would scope me to make sure there was no stricture or other problem, but I improved in the next couple of months so we didn't have to do that. No advice, but I do know what you're going through. I drank clear Protein Drinks so that I could get both hydration and Protein at the same time (it was the only way I could get close to either goal). If it doesn't get better, I'd go back to your surgeon and emphasize that you CAN'T eat more, that's the problem. They should be able to help you figure this out. Hugs. 🤗

That sounds like an awfully long time to only be able to eat that amount. Have you talked to your doctor? Certain foods will disagree with your new pouch (I still can't eat steak or potatoes or pasta) but you should be able to eat more than a couple of bites at this point.

that's not normal - you said you talked to your doctor - was it your PCP or your bariatric surgeon? Something doesn't sound right..

I just got the sleeve on 3/10/21 and I have been miserable because I can’t keep anything down. I’m currently sipping sugar free pedialyte and I can’t keep it down. This has been a nightmare. I’m vomiting everything 15 minutes. I’m so sorry for your pain and I hope you and I are both soon healed.

Oh goodness you poor thing that must be extremely hard to deal with! I would be demanding the doc do some further investigating as I don’t think that’s normal five months post op you could have a structure or some form of dysmotility. I would definitely be wanting some hours. Hope things get better for you soon!

& i have the opposite problem. I am 4 weeks after the sleeve & i can eat everything. Lost 25 lbs initially & thats it!

17 hours ago, Time4achangeMD said:

I just got the sleeve on 3/10/21 and I have been miserable because I can’t keep anything down. I’m currently sipping sugar free pedialyte and I can’t keep it down. This has been a nightmare. I’m vomiting everything 15 minutes. I’m so sorry for your pain and I hope you and I are both soon healed.

I just had my sleeve done on 3/15. I’m so sorry your recovery isn’t going very well, however, my surgeon urged me to call him immediately if I display anything like vomiting and inability to keep liquids down because of dehydration . It sounds like you maybe need to talk to your surgeon.

On 3/17/2021 at 5:12 PM, Jnfinney said:

I just had my sleeve done on 3/15. I’m so sorry your recovery isn’t going very well, however, my surgeon urged me to call him immediately if I display anything like vomiting and inability to keep liquids down because of dehydration . It sounds like you maybe need to talk to your surgeon.

Thank you 😊 I was hospitalized for a week. The surgeon attempted an endoscopy and couldn’t even fit the scope down my throat. They ended up stretching my esophagus with balloons. I finally have relief. I have had the procedure done 2xs and things are much better.

I'm only on my second week and I can eat 2oz at a time usually and also, for some reason liquids for me goes down a lot smoother. I am able to drink a 16oz water bottle within an hour to an hour and a half. But thats just me I guess....I would suggest to talk to your doctor

Im having exactly the same problem. I had my bypass in August and haven't been able to eat more than 2 bites of food or sips of liquid. I've lost 110lbs most of my hair and basically have become a hermit. My doctor insists it's my fault that im just eating to fast or the "wrong foods" and not following the nutritionists recommended diet and is now suggesting putting me on a feeding tube. I don't want to go on the feeding tube but I'm afraid it may be my only option to avoid complete malnutrition.

I feel so sorry for you what is struggling Aldi do a yoghurt in a pouch and it is 25grms of protien in it I also drink loads of milk at first I never tried anything till I was told to but couldn't tolerate much but now I'm fine I eat loads of tuna and light Mayonnaise there 25 grams of protien in a tin of tuna or cottage cheese hope you all feel better soon x

I was told that if I can't drink freely to come see my surgeon asap as it might be a stricture.

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app