Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein and Starting Soft Foods

Just wondering how long people where still having to take Protein Shakes after starting the soft food diet? I have had a brutal time finding a Protein Powder or drink that isn't too sweet or doesn't make me nauseous. I had a super hard time with Protein shakes before surgery too but it has become way worse. Hoping to be able to hit my protein goals with real food sooner vs later.

I tried a new Protein Shake the past two days and instead of loosing weight, I actually gained 6lbs in bloating. As well, I felt like my throat thickened and I had a hard time swallowing for both the days. I think I am counting that a mild allergic reaction?

8 minutes ago, CapK said:

Just wondering how long people where still having to take Protein Shakes after starting the soft food diet? I have had a brutal time finding a Protein Powder or drink that isn't too sweet or doesn't make me nauseous. I had a super hard time with Protein shakes before surgery too but it has become way worse. Hoping to be able to hit my Protein goals with real food sooner vs later.

I tried a new Protein Shake the past two days and instead of loosing weight, I actually gained 6lbs in bloating. As well, I felt like my throat thickened and I had a hard time swallowing for both the days. I think I am counting that a mild allergic reaction?

Yes - sounds like you have an allergy or intolerance to some ingredient in that shake. I couldn't stand the sweetness earlier on (I was OK with it once I was a month or two out), so I used mostly the Unjury chicken broth flavored one. Although that has whey protein isolate, so if you've become lactose intolerant, that probably wouldn't work. You may have to experiment with different brands - or ask your dietitian if you can get off them early. If you can meet your protein goals through other food, you should be able to give them up...

6 minutes ago, CapK said:

Just wondering how long people where still having to take Protein Shakes after starting the soft food diet? I have had a brutal time finding a Protein Powder or drink that isn't too sweet or doesn't make me nauseous. I had a super hard time with Protein shakes before surgery too but it has become way worse. Hoping to be able to hit my Protein goals with real food sooner vs later.

Everyone is going to respond differently to this as it's so different with each person to what they can be ready for, Dr and NUT orders, etc. I've learned after much research to go with what you can handle. After the surgery, all Protein Shakes just made me nauseous or food come back up (not quite vomit but definitely some coming back out). I was pureeing turkey meatballs (ONLY the Wegmans turkey meatballs-can't handle anything else) right at the soft food stage but mixing with some sauce or fat free gravy.

I still can't handle chicken-even soft. eggs are by the day after I started just learning to chew until pureed in my mouth. I could handle mashed potatoes that were plain at that stage and I still live on sugar free popsicles at 4 months out. cheese is good for me; ice cream KILLS me. Most of my calories comes from the turkey meatballs and mixing cheese with them as I can handle the cheese that is shredded. This is really just a thing of trying what you can handle off of the list you are given. I had some complications after the surgery so the recovery was longer but after about 4-6 weeks, I could get a bit more daring with trying things. I still keep nausea pills with me just in case but try not to use them unless really vomiting.

I'm almost 6 months out and still relying on Protein Powder to meet my requirements. I don't think I could get all my Protein from food even if I ate nothing but meat, unless I started eating between meals, which I'm trying not to do because I don't want to fall back into old bad habits.

I got tired of Protein Shakes between the pre-op diet and the post-surgery liquid stage, so I mainly mix protein powder into my food. My go-to Breakfast is half a container of Greek yogurt plus half a scoop of protein powder (my favorite is birthday cake flavor, but I also use chocolate sometimes). That's 19 grams of protein. You can also mix protein powder into applesauce, protein oatmeal, or pudding, and unflavored protein powder into things like refried Beans, Soups, and other purees. A lot of people like to add protein shakes to their coffee instead of Creamer for a protein boost. I like protein hot cocoa and find it much easier to drink than cold shakes.

What brand of Protein Shake were you drinking when you had the allergic reaction? You'll have to avoid whatever caused that, which could limit the kinds of protein you can have (although it is possible that your reaction was to a different ingredient and not the protein itself). If it was whey protein (which is generally the recommended type), you may have to use plant-based protein. There are some recommendations on a recent thread here:

10 minutes ago, BigSue said:

I got tired of Protein Shakes between the pre-op diet and the post-surgery liquid stage, so I mainly mix Protein powder into my food. My go-to Breakfast is half a container of Greek yogurt plus half a scoop of protein powder (my favorite is birthday cake flavor, but I also use chocolate sometimes). That's 19 grams of protein. You can also mix protein powder into applesauce, protein oatmeal, or pudding, and unflavored protein powder into things like refried Beans, Soups, and other purees. A lot of people like to add protein shakes to their coffee instead of Creamer for a protein boost. I like protein hot cocoa and find it much easier to drink than cold shakes.

What brand of Protein Shake were you drinking when you had the allergic reaction? You'll have to avoid whatever caused that, which could limit the kinds of protein you can have (although it is possible that your reaction was to a different ingredient and not the protein itself).

Thank you for the ideas!

I was trying Protein2o out. I have narrowed it down to the whey or the stevia. I have a hard time with some of those alt sweetners. I can't do xylitol or erytherol for sure.

I'm two years post-op and I still drink one Protein Shake every day for Breakfast. It's just too early for me to eat real food like eggs or something and I like the chocolate taste. I use GNC Lean shakes, premade.

14 minutes ago, CapK said:

I was trying Protein2o out. I have narrowed it down to the whey or the stevia. I have a hard time with some of those alt sweetners. I can't do xylitol or erytherol for sure.

Have you been able to tolerate other Protein Drinks without issues? If it's the sweetener, you can always stick to unflavored Protein powder.

I couldn’t handle shakes either & don’t get me started on Protein powders. Shudder! I was so glad to get to soft foods when I put those shakes & powders away.

I set myself a goal that I would get all my protein, Vitamins & minerals from what I ate not from supplements. It was slow to start. In the soft food stage I made slow cooked meals - stews, casseroles, bolognese, etc. I also made Soup which I’d simmer for ages so any meats or Beans were really soft. Yoghurt was my friend as were scrambled eggs & rolled oats.

Good luck.

Edited by Arabesque

Got my Protein from food sources yesterday! Was so excited, until I wound up in the ER all night dehydrated from dumping syndrome. They still haven't let me out, but hopefully I am out today. Back to the shakes for a few days I think. Now I am scared to try solids again.

Oh no! Do you know what you ate that caused the dumping? I have not experienced it (yet?) because I am very cautious about what I eat, out of fear of dumping. You are only two weeks out, so you have to take it easy on the stomach for a while longer, but I’m sure you will eventually get back to the point of being able to eat solid foods all day. Hope you’re feeling better!

At 2 weeks post gastric bypass I was on the puree stage but having at least 1 Protein Shake and 1 Protein Water to keep up the protein. Even now at 9 weeks post op I have to add 1 protein shake in a day to keep at over 60g protein. Most of the shakes taste either too sweet or just disgusting to me and the only one I can drink is an iced latte shake which I have in the morning. It's a Ufit brand but I'm in the UK - don't know if it's available in the US?

7 hours ago, BigSue said:

Oh no! Do you know what you ate that caused the dumping? I have not experienced it (yet?) because I am very cautious about what I eat, out of fear of dumping. You are only two weeks out, so you have to take it easy on the stomach for a while longer, but I’m sure you will eventually get back to the point of being able to eat solid foods all day. Hope you’re feeling better!

I am thinking it was venison. It was 1oz of meat and it was cooked in a way that was very moist. I thought it would be ok, but I definitely won't be trying that again. As it is, the surgeon has told me to go back onto clear fluids until they can talk to me or see me in person next week. I live over an hour away so the ambulance wouldn't take me back to that hospital last night. Couldn't believe how little the local ER knew about gastric bypass! They where great but I had to remind them of a lot of things such as no NSAID's, not throwing up acid because that part of my stomach wasn't attached to my esophagus, etc.

I thought I was being very careful too but that was too heavy/rich I guess. 24 hours later, I am still feeling brutal but not in immense pain so I think it is just my muscles still hurting from the dry heaving.

4 hours ago, Deb9386 said:

At 2 weeks post gastric bypass I was on the puree stage but having at least 1 Protein Shake and 1 Protein Water to keep up the Protein. Even now at 9 weeks post op I have to add 1 protein shake in a day to keep at over 60g protein. Most of the shakes taste either too sweet or just disgusting to me and the only one I can drink is an iced latte shake which I have in the morning. It's a Ufit brand but I'm in the UK - don't know if it's available in the US?

I haven't heard of Ufit. I am in Canada and a lot of the shakes I can't find here either. But, I will definitely look for that one. Iced Latte doesn't sound horribly sweet. Thanks

12 hours ago, Lisa LoVuolo said:

I do Protein 2o Bariatric unflavored Protein powder

Sent from my U693CL using BariatricPal mobile app

So glad it works for you! I had an allergic reaction to trying that brand sadly. 😥