Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days post-op, sharp stabbing pains. Is this normal?

I had RNY bypass surgery and hiatal hernia repair on 12/22. I'm worried I over did it with walking. I've been having sharp pain on the left side of my abdomen and up under my ribs when I take deep breaths (the last 3-4 days). The pain is constant, but only becomes sharp/stabbing when I try to breathe deep or twist my torso.

I'm still doing all Clear Liquids, getting my 60+ oz of Water a day & added protien shakes today without issue.

Wondering if this is normal and/or if anyone else experienced this.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Of course you'll need to contact your Surgeon and discuss with them- it could be any number of things. In my circumstances, I was in a lot of pain after surgery (expected) but it didn't let up after a few weeks. I was thinking I was just a wimp but ended up in the hospital with an infection on Thanksgiving Day. I didn't realize how painful an infection could be.

Hope you're pain free soon!

Of course you'll need to contact your Surgeon and discuss with them- it could be any number of things. In my circumstances, I was in a lot of pain after surgery (expected) but it didn't let up after a few weeks. I was thinking I was just a wimp but ended up in the hospital with an infection on Thanksgiving Day. I didn't realize how painful an infection could be.
Hope you're pain free soon!

Thanks. Definitely reached out, just wanted to see if others have had this experience too.

My pain in the largest incision was greatest during the first 4 days post op. It lasted 2 weeks.

Thanks, everyone. It seems like this is really common (based on several forums and fb groups I've searched) yet, nothing was mentioned before surgery.

Hoping this ends soon.

I had a sleeve, but get those pains, you need to remember that your muscles were ripped through to get to your organs and you need to be resting and not walking too much, let your body heal and only walk 20mins aday

Sent from my VOG-L29 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 12/28/2020 at 10:52 PM, ArcticFox said:

I had RNY bypass surgery and hiatal hernia repair on 12/22. I'm worried I over did it with walking. I've been having sharp pain on the left side of my abdomen and up under my ribs when I take deep breaths (the last 3-4 days). The pain is constant, but only becomes sharp/stabbing when I try to breathe deep or twist my torso.

I'm still doing all Clear Liquids, getting my 60+ oz of Water a day & added protien shakes today without issue.

Wondering if this is normal and/or if anyone else experienced this.

Thanks!

I had my surgery done 12/28. I had no gas pain and I was surprised. On January 5th, after my post-op appointment, I started having sharp stabbing pains on my right side abdomen. I went to the ER on the 7th thinking I had torn something when I laid down on my side. They did X-rays and a CT scan. Everything looked normal. When they took the X-ray you could see all the gas I had built up. I’m now thinking that these pains are gas that is just now making an appearance. I’ve been miserable for three days and counting. I’m doing my best to stay hydrated and I’ve been drinking doses of Miralax to try and get all of this gas out of me. I hope you feel better!

24 minutes ago, NewlySleeved12282020 said:

I had my surgery done 12/28. I had no gas pain and I was surprised. On January 5th, after my post-op appointment, I started having sharp stabbing pains on my right side abdomen. I went to the ER on the 7th thinking I had torn something when I laid down on my side. They did X-rays and a CT scan. Everything looked normal. When they took the X-ray you could see all the gas I had built up. I’m now thinking that these pains are gas that is just now making an appearance. I’ve been miserable for three days and counting. I’m doing my best to stay hydrated and I’ve been drinking doses of Miralax to try and get all of this gas out of me. I hope you feel better!

That is really helpful, thank you for sharing your experience. Over about a week my pains subsided and kind of moved around. After talking with a nurse and a few other bariatric patients I assumed it must be gas since it moved slowly. Now it's mostly gone, but im having a really hard time getting enough Water every day. Different day, different challenge 😄

I hope you get comfortable and your gas pains fade quickly!

23 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

That is really helpful, thank you for sharing your experience. Over about a week my pains subsided and kind of moved around. After talking with a nurse and a few other bariatric patients I assumed it must be gas since it moved slowly. Now it's mostly gone, but im having a really hard time getting enough Water every day. Different day, different challenge 😄

I hope you get comfortable and your gas pains fade quickly!

You’re welcome!! I’m kinda mad I went to the ER and it ended up being gas pains.. That was an expensive way for me to find out I just need to toot more! Lol! they didn’t tell me it was gas, but when I saw my X-ray I was like.... 🥴 Water is definitely hard, but I bought a water bottle that has times on it and little tic marks of how much you should drink. I also add strawberry Lemonade crystal light to it and it’s made it so much easier. And thank you! Still have pains today, but I think it’s getting a little better! 💜

Same here. It's odd; I was sore and worn out when I left the hospital, but was able to go for a short walk outside for the next couple of days. Then the next night--bam!-- felt like I had barbed wire under my largest incision. Any time I have to engage my abs--getting up, sitting down, bending over, turning to the side, even just standing in place--I experience sharp pains.

I guess those first three days were too good to be true. Wearing Shapewear helps; they kind of keep my belly from flopping around and my midsection feels more stable. But man, every time I have to take them off . . .

Hoping this passes soon.