Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Does My Nose Run When I Eat?

I never noticed this before having WLS two years ago, but now no matter what I eat, whether it's spicy or bland or a little or a lot my nose runs constantly while I eat.

When I stop eating the nose stops running.

Now that I think about it, it doesn't seem to happen when I eat cold food, just hot food.

And I'm not over-eating and am sticking to proper portion sizes. For instance, I just ate 5 microwaved pieces of pepperoni and my nose ran constantly. I'm done eating now and my nose isn't running anymore.

I searched online and it says allergic rhinitis is a possible culprit. Has anybody else experienced this after having weight loss surgery that they didn't have before?

Why does your nose run Everytime you eat?
A person's nose might run after eating if they have allergic Rhinitis

Inflammation and irritation of the mucous membrane of the nose.

caused by a food allergy. A person may experience a runny nose and other symptoms either after eating a particular kind of food or, in some cases, after eating any food. A runny nose may be accompanied by the following symptoms: a stuffy, congested feeling in the nose

I never noticed this before having WLS two years ago, but now no matter what I eat, whether it's spicy or bland or a little or a lot my nose runs constantly while I eat.
When I stop eating the nose stops running.
Now that I think about it, it doesn't seem to happen when I eat cold food, just hot food.< br> And I'm not over-eating and am sticking to proper portion sizes. For instance, I just ate 5 microwaved pieces of pepperoni and my nose ran constantly. I'm done eating now and my nose isn't running anymore.
I searched online and it says allergic rhinitis is a possible culprit. Has anybody else experienced this after having weight loss surgery that they didn't have before?
Why does your nose run Everytime you eat? A person's nose might run after eating if they have allergic Rhinitis

Inflammation and irritation of the mucous membrane of the nose.

caused by a food allergy. A person may experience a runny nose and other symptoms either after eating a particular kind of food or, in some cases, after eating any food. A runny nose may be accompanied by the following symptoms: a stuffy, congested feeling in the nose
Me onthe other hand constantly sneeze whilst eating. I dontknow why but it's so annoying and alittle embarrassing

Sent from my VOG-L29 using BariatricPal mobile app

@GradyCat The condition is called gustatory rhinitis and is common in bariatric patients. It is linked to "snatiation" or sneezing after eating and is a reflex.

I read somewhere that it has to do with stimulating a nerve in the upper stomach, now more sensitive or exposed due to the surgery. However, I cannot find the specific article or reference anymore.

Years ago, when I had a lap band, a runny nose for me was my "signal" that I was full or getting full and needed to stop eating. Since being sleeved, I still get the runny nose, but it's not as "free-flowing" whereas the sneezing really gets my attention. In my first 6 months, I would sneeze and sneeze and sneeze to the point where my co-workers would come to my office to make sure I was alright! These days, it's pretty common for me to sneeze once or twice after a meal (more if I've overindulged).

I had it before wls.. Someone already correctly said its gustatory rhinitis. I have had it for about 20 years and it's very annoying. I also have allergies so my nose runs a lot. [emoji849]I'm on Flonase and Astelin nasal spray and they help.
It happens to me with cold or hot food; any chewing whatsoever.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

My non wls husband has this happen to him every time he eats dairy. Some sort of slight allergy.

It is def related to eating too much and means you ate more than three or your ounces ... I am 100 sure this is the cause and I feel it every time I go over 3 ounces