Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 5 weeks out of WLS now.

I crave Hot Drinks nowadays.

Don't want to drink milky drinks or tea with milk as it adds up to calories intake.

So my question is if I can drink green tea and how many cups a day?

Sent from my SM-N960F using BariatricPal mobile app

Green tea contains caffeine. Does your post op guidelines allow caffeine?

I drink Decaf green tea, maybe that is an option for you...or one of the naturally caffeine low/free teas like rooibos.

Green tea contains caffeine. Does your post op guidelines allow caffeine?
I drink Decaf green tea, maybe that is an option for you...or one of the naturally caffeine low/free teas like rooibos.

I'm not sure about the guideline. It doesn't mention anything about green tea.
I will check with the team and try alternative teas maybe.
Thank you [emoji4]

I’ve been drinking green tea for about 17 years because the caffeine in coffee was just killing me. It has about a quarter the caffeine of black tea & yes you can purchase decaffeinated green tea but it still has a small amount of caffeine.

My surgeon was very happy for me to continue drinking green tea from right after my surgery probably because it’s lower in caffeine & I don’t drink multiple cups each day. I drink about 300-350mls a day around mid morning. Adds to my Fluid intake too.

But check with your surgical team.

Yes, and it counts as Water. Others here are talking about caffeine as the only issue. My surgeon didn't restrict me from caffeine, so it would be no problem. Of course I drink Decaf coffee when I drink it, but I always have, even pre-op. So drink away and enjoy your green tea.

I drink green tea very often (but usually Matcha) without issue. Definitely consult with your team first. If you are not allowed caffeine, look for Decaf versions.

1390353817_d9a80683f47ef5d272223156b796cbf92.thumb.png.05611843b303aee631f0208bac75e875.png

(Infographic on the comparison of caffeine levels)

But according to the MayoClinic, there are limitations on safe intake levels (keep in mind these figures are based on adults that may not have altered anatomy)

2031529120_Screenshot_20201228-0836032.thumb.png.36c463a172d08a912fad141d6fb2f3c7.png

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678#:~:text=Up to 400 milligrams (mg,two "energy shot" drinks.< /a>

Edited by GreenTealael

I am an avid hot tea drinker. I drink mostly green teas, oolong teas, herbal teas, etc. I have been drinking tea since day 1. I took chrysanthemum puehr tea bags with me to the hospital and had a few sips. The hospital staff didn't want me to drink it HOT HOT, but I could have it.

Thank you all for your replies.
Honestly I can't remember anything suggested by the team about caffeine.
So why is caffeine bad after surgery?
I'm just having one cup of tea with milk a day atm.
But as I mentioned before I really want more hot drinks during the day, thought Green tea would be safe.
As many of you still have green tea, i think it should be fine.
Better than other hot drinks like coffee etc..
Isn't it?

6 minutes ago, sach1 said:

Thank you all for your replies.
Honestly I can't remember anything suggested by the team about caffeine.
So why is caffeine bad after surgery?
I'm just having one cup of tea with milk a day atm.
But as I mentioned before I really want more Hot Drinks during the day, thought Green tea would be safe.
As many of you still have green tea, i think it should be fine.
Better than other hot drinks like coffee etc..
Isn't it?

Please ask your team first. That's going to be the best advice given when it comes to uncertainty.

What a great post, GreenTealael! Thank you!

I weaned from caffeine in anticipation of my surgery on January 5th. I treated myself to some specialty teas from Harney and Sons. They have several caffeine-free tea flavors, both loose tea and bags.

I have suffered from reflux in the past and caffeine relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter making my reflux much worse. I'm not sure if that is the only reason my practices wants patients to discontinue caffeine, but that's why I weaned off.

3 hours ago, Whitetank&denim said:

reason my practices wants patients to discontinue caffeine,

Each practice will have varying guidelines so ask your surgeon their rules and why

But a quick search on the internet and I found this site which outlines a few reasons

https://www.vidawellnessandbeauty.com/caffeine-alcohol-after-bariatric-surgery-what-you-need-to-know/

My former Gastric Band surgeon recommended to his patients to drink 3-8oz cups of green tea a day for added fat burning. My VSG surgeon's dietitian says it should be Decaf. I just began Phase 4 as I am 29 days out.

Sent from my SM-J337V using BariatricPal mobile app

I have bought some decaff green tea.
Will start with one cup a day and see how it goes.
Thank you all for your relies.
It helps alot.
[emoji4]

7 hours ago, LindasBlu said:

My former Gastric Band surgeon recommended to his patients to drink 3-8oz cups of green tea a day for added fat burning.

I know green tea is promoted as an aide for weight loss but the reality has not been true for me. Believe me 17 odd years of drinking it did nothing for my weight. Lol! Maybe it does if you drink green tea instead of ice coffee or hot chocolate or carbonated drinks, etc.

I started drinking it for the anti oxidants & low caffeine.