Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FWIW, I'm Bi and coming out in the 90s was a b***h. I've never examined particularly how this has affected my weight/ body issues throughout my life, but then my ACE score is pretty high. I'd be happy to have a LGBTQIA-specific forum, similar to "the Gals' room" or The Guys' room," I think it could only help more people have a place to ask questions or rant on topics particular to us. Generally this page is more of a "everyone in the same boat of WLS" place, all are welcome though. I'm sorry that this has been a chilly reception for you, I haven't found it to be so, generally. Most everyone here is pretty nice.

Yeah, I guess some people get what I meant and some don’t. To each their own. I gained weight over the last ten years, as I was coming to terms with my sexuality and a host of other things that were very related. I thought it might be nice to explore in a safe space, but to be honest, this hasn’t felt like an especially safe place.

In any case, I wish you the very best with your weight loss; I’m down another pound today and seeing the doctor tomorrow for my two week check up.

On 12/27/2020 at 3:12 PM, Maryuumah said:

Is there not an LGBTQ community here? Seems like there should be one....

I'm so glad you made this post! I agree, it'd be great to have some community here. I'm thankful to know who that community is so that I can follow y'all on here.

On 12/27/2020 at 9:33 PM, bufbills said:

I thought I found a forum without these kinds of discussions. I'm a gun guy. I don't want a gun group here. Obviously, just an example. We are all here because we have had, are contemplating, or are in the process of of a weight loss surgery. Thats it. I love this forum because we are all different, but the same. In this age of political everything, I for one, enjoy the rare unity that seems to prevail here. I just think the idea is counterproductive. I love reading everybodys advice, experiences, stories, and opinions. For me, it brings all of us together, without any labels. I personally need a place like this. We all do right now.

Your choice to support gun rights is just that. A choice. My being genderqueer and asexual is not a choice. It's who I am. And those two factors of my core being affect the way health care providers treat me and therefore my bariatric surgery journey.

That's why LGBTQIA+ is relevant here.

Wrong. It's my right and my responsibility as an American. As it's your right to be whoever you are. I support, and would die for both of our rights.

On 04/16/2021 at 07:06, bufbills said:

Wrong. It's my right and my responsibility as an American. As it's your right to be whoever you are. I support, and would die for both of our rights.

Respectfully, I suggest when you see a topic you aren’t interested in just move along. This is clearly a topic that has great meaning to many of the members of our group. We come here for support. The LGBTQIA+ community has been discriminated against, targeted, and hated by much of society. Here they should experience nothing but love and support as they work through many of the same, but some unique to just them, issues related to their weight and health.

No one forced you to reply to this post. There was no reason for your two cents because it does not apply to you. I still dont get the relevance of guns and someones sexuality and there weight lost journey.

This is the problem with Americans like you these days. I mean absolutely no disrespect, but i feel like you group of Americans are Always discrediting those the don't show the same values are you guys. Always trying to group everything under one umbrella because you guys are uncomfortable to deal with the issue on the plate. I'm all for gun rights, but why assult rifles and military grade weapons. There's no need for all that.

This lady was trying to create a space with ppl like her and myself count talk about things that bother us during our journey. We did not force you to answer this post. Again I don't mean to sound disrespectful but I just can't see why you had to answer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am in support of affinity forums. Why not?! There are plenty of forums here. I personally saw the girls room and thought that was great! As a poc, I wouldn't mind exchanging thoughts with other people who might have a better understanding of what I am going through. Creating affinity groups does not erase public forums nor do they exclude others. It's just a way to hopefully ensure that the people who post in them care about that specific thing.

I will agree that sometimes, when I learn a person has a particular political view, it can be hard not to see that in everything they say. So this forum may not be the best place to discuss the happenings of the world. But that's not what an affinity group is. The girls group for example, doesn't post about unequal wages and gender discrimination. Although imo, a post about the dismissive nature of doctors towards women (Particularly women of color) and how that affects your journey could be more interesting then the standard "stalling" thread.

I am in support of affinity forums. Why not?! There are plenty of forums here. I personally saw the girls room and thought that was great! As a poc, I wouldn't mind exchanging thoughts with other people who might have a better understanding of what I am going through. Creating affinity groups does not erase public forums nor do they exclude others. It's just a way to hopefully ensure that the people who post in them care about that specific thing.

I will agree that sometimes, when I learn a person has a particular political view, it can be hard not to see that in everything they say. So this forum may not be the best place to discuss the happenings of the world. But that's not what an affinity group is. The girls group for example, doesn't post about unequal wages and gender discrimination. Although imo, a post about the dismissive nature of doctors towards women (Particularly women of color) and how that affects your journey could be more interesting then the standard "stalling" thread.

EDIT to add: I'd also like to add that unfortunately people in underrepresented and marginalized communities can often be afraid to share their stories. Affinity groups allow a safe space to do that. Im sure everyone feels a little insecure when posting but some people have the added pressure of hoping not to be discriminated against, judged or isolated when engaging with larger groups.

I made a request for an LGBTQIA Room in a "contact us" email. I suggest others do so as well.

On 12/27/2020 at 8:24 PM, Darktowerdream said:

I've not posted in a while but

People on the Autism spectrum also have higher rates of issues with food and weight and metabolism and digestive disorders. But I don't think I'd be on a forum specific to Autism even though I am on the spectrum. I also live with lifelong chronic illness and disability, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, many medical conditions including pcos, adult onset congenital adrenal hyperplasia ...

is it necessary to have a forum specific to these or to just focus the weight loss journey itself? Men and women might have some different caloric and Protein needs and also based on age and current weight (example calculating Protein intake based on weight)

but otherwise the weight loss journey itself is similar for everyone. Unless it's specific medical conditions for example I literally am unable to exercise without causing physical symptoms and damage. So I have to adapt how I do things. But we all still share a similar path.

I answer only because you seem to think that if someone says why, that somehow means they feel threatened or upset by your question.

In the grand scheme of things it's just not a big part of the weight loss journey. The subject isn't taboo it can be discussed any time. But doesn't play much of a role in why we are here.

hi, I don't know if you will see this but I also have adult congenital adrenal hyperplasia and I was wondering how your surgery went and how/if the condition affected you after surgery. if they did anything specific for it etc. i know its different for everyone but do you think it made you weaker then you should've been? thanks in advance

On 6/25/2021 at 11:50 PM, lindseylovesdogs said:

hi, I don't know if you will see this but I also have adult congenital adrenal hyperplasia and I was wondering how your surgery went and how/if the condition affected you after surgery. if they did anything specific for it etc. i know its different for everyone but do you think it made you weaker then you should've been? thanks in advance

I meant to answer this but have been exhausted. I don't know exactly what it was that impacted my post op recovery most. I had my gallbladder removed alongside the gastric bypass. besides Adult onset congenital adrenal hyperplasia I have lifelong Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. And quite a few medical conditions. I am now finding out it is likely I also have Ehlers Danlos. I am trying to find a definitive diagnosis. My post op recovery took a little longer, I was bedbound after surgery. I ended up back in hospital shortly after going home due to an undiagnosed pre-existing condition (likely tied to Ehlers Danlos) that caused Aspiration pneumonia (a form of dysphasia) I dont think the Adrenal Hyperplasia itself affected my recovery. Even with all my medical conditions and even with the challenges I have had over the course of my surgery and the recovery and the challenges now - I do not regret having had Gastric Bypass surgery. I would never have reached the weight I have now which is a normal healthy weight for my height that I never could reach even as a pre-teen. Well I cannot remember being this weight. I have to find ways to work around different barriers and challenges I guess. I was extremely weak but now I think it was both due to M.E. and possible Ehlers Danlos. I just would do it again as well as the skin removal and body lift procedures I had despite the challenge that was ... especially because of the roadblocks that Adrenal hyperplasia, PCOS, and the inability to exercise due to M.E imposed on me. caused.

Did you make a LGBTQ community here?👀😍🥰  I would love to be part of it. My weight gain was partially due to challenges I faced in my sexual orientation journey in my early 20s for sure.

I haven’t but I would be interested in coordinating to do that. Nice to know that it would be helpful! Welcome to to the forum - I would love to discuss the intersection of sexuality and weight gain.