Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Date set for 1/28/20

My twin brother and I have just gotten our surgery date for Gastric Bypass surgery. We are scheduled for 1/28/20. We will go in together on the same day with the same surgeon. We are excited to go through the process together. It will be nice to have each other as a support system but still a little nervous about what to expect the first few weeks after surgery. So happy to have found this app. Does anyone have any pointers?

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I agree! So glad to finally be able to get the help we need. We would love any feedback or pointers. There seems to be a lot to learn, both before and after the surgery. I'm also glad to have found this app!

That’s awesome! Especially because you have each other to immediately support one another! Biggest challenge for me is getting the headspace right. I deal with this by doing a lot of prep. Planning out meals for me vs meals for family, Vitamins, Water.< /p>

Hello Qianmij,

Thanks for your message. We are very excited about having the surgery and beginning our weight loss journey. I am little nervous about the Post Op recovery but know that is part of the journey. I know preparing ahead of times with Vitamins and such will be key. How much have you lost so far?

They say males lose quicker than females. My surgery was 9-17-20 - it’ll be (4) months on 1-17-21. Just 55 lbs so far. Recording each meal helped, too.

They say males lose quicker than females. My surgery was 9-17-20 - it’ll be (4) months on 1-17-21. Just 55 lbs so far. Recording each meal helped, too.
That's AMAZING [emoji122]! CONGRATULATIONS!

Not sure whether you will see this before you go into surgery tomorrow, but good luck!

As quianmij said, you are very fortunate to have each other for support during the recovery process. The first few weeks are really tough, both emotionally and physically, and you may have some regrets about having done the surgery. You will also inevitably have periods when your weight loss stalls, which is normal. This board was invaluable for me to hear what other people had been through so I knew what to expect. It was so inspiring to see how much people had lost after a year or so--and nearly all of them say their only regret was not having surgery sooner (myself included).

Throughout the process, just follow the program set by your doctor and nutritionist and you will do well, in spite of occasional setbacks. You won't be hungry for months, so take advantage of that time to maximize your weight loss--because your hunger will return. Try not to compare your progress to others, because everyone's journey is different.

Listen to your bodies and go easy on yourself after surgery. You will have very little energy and will want to sleep a lot--and that's okay!

See you on the other side in a few days!

Thank you so much for the well wishes. I am here at the hospital. My procedure will begin soon.

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

Not sure whether you will see this before you go into surgery tomorrow, but good luck!

As quianmij said, you are very fortunate to have each other for support during the recovery process. The first few weeks are really tough, both emotionally and physically, and you may have some regrets about having done the surgery. You will also inevitably have periods when your weight loss stalls, which is normal. This board was invaluable for me to hear what other people had been through so I knew what to expect. It was so inspiring to see how much people had lost after a year or so--and nearly all of them say their only regret was not having surgery sooner (myself included).

Throughout the process, just follow the program set by your doctor and nutritionist and you will do well, in spite of occasional setbacks. You won't be hungry for months, so take advantage of that time to maximize your weight loss--because your hunger will return. Try not to compare your progress to others, because everyone's journey is different.

Listen to your bodies and go easy on yourself after surgery. You will have very little energy and will want to sleep a lot--and that's okay!

See you on the other side in a few days!

Thank you! On my way to the hospital for surgery right after my brother. Looking forward to seeing ya'll on the other side.