Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have 2nd thoughts/Do you regret having sleeve surgery?

Hi! I’m scheduled to have sleeve surgery on 12/29, & I’m having serious 2nd thoughts!
Has anyone who has had sleeve surgery regretted it?

How long until you can eat “regular” food?

Was the 7 days of liquid diet terrible?

I have clear, unflavored Protein Powder - what do I mix it with to make a Protein Shake?

is it worth it in the end?

Your responses will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Edited by Lulu’s Mom

Hi there!

I had my surgery in March 2019 and I've never regretted it for a second.

Your post-op eating plan will be up to your surgeon but almost everyone is back to a regular diet by the six week mark. For me, it was one week of Clear Liquids, one week of full liquids, then two weeks of soft food and then to regular food, as tolerated. "Regular" is relative though, my surgeon's eating plan is moderately low carb, so no bread, rice, Pasta or sweets.

I can't lie, the pre-op liquid diet sucked. It was tough but I powered through it (with one slip along the way). The post-op liquid diet wasn't hard for me at all because I had no hunger. I didn't even want food in those first few days.

I'm not sure about the Protein Shake, I buy ready-to-drink, LOL.

I've lost 124 pounds, my health is much better, I have my mobility back, I can shop anywhere, I was able to have the knee replacement I needed, my overall quality of life is improved in every way. For me, it's more than worth it.

Only you can weigh the pros and cons to decide if it's worth it for you, but it's rare to hear anyone say they regret having the surgery. I wish you well in making the best decision. Hugs. 🤗

My only regret was that I didn't have this surgery years ago.

43 minutes ago, Jaelzion said:

Hi there!

I had my surgery in March 2019 and I've never regretted it for a second.

Your post-op eating plan will be up to your surgeon but almost everyone is back to a regular diet by the six week mark. For me, it was one week of Clear Liquids, one week of full liquids, then two weeks of soft food and then to regular food, as tolerated. "Regular" is relative though, my surgeon's eating plan is moderately low carb, so no bread, rice, Pasta or sweets.

I can't lie, the pre-op liquid diet sucked. It was tough but I powered through it (with one slip along the way). The post-op liquid diet wasn't hard for me at all because I had no hunger. I didn't even want food in those first few days.

I'm not sure about the Protein Shake, I buy ready-to-drink, LOL.

I've lost 124 pounds, my health is much better, I have my mobility back, I can shop anywhere, I was able to have the knee replacement I needed, my overall quality of life is improved in every way. For me, it's more than worth it.

Only you can weigh the pros and cons to decide if it's worth it for you, but it's rare to hear anyone say they regret having the surgery. I wish you well in making the best decision. Hugs. 🤗

Surgery August 2019 - Like others have said - Only major regret is not doing this years ago.

liquid diet sucked for a few days - Once I got to purees, life was great. I also did ready to drink shakes for the most part. Flavorless Protein mainly in the puree phase in eggs and such. I also use it in some recipes.

Holidays and food are HUGE in my family (and I'm the primary cook and location for gatherings). This Christmas was filet mignon and lots of sides. I was able to enjoy a very small bit of things that I wanted most and never felt deprived.

11 hours ago, Lulu’s Mom said:

Hi! I’m scheduled to have sleeve surgery on 12/29, & I’m having serious 2nd thoughts!
Has anyone who has had sleeve surgery regretted it?

How long until you can eat “regular” food?

Was the 7 days of liquid diet terrible?

I have clear, unflavored Protein Powder - what do I mix it with to make a Protein Shake?

is it worth it in the end?

Your responses will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Takes about a month to heal then you are on regular food

I had no problem with the 7 Day liqud made some bad ass broths and tropical smoothies and was no big deal

Ok you need to watch Youtube videos on making shakes - There are a ton of post here about it

Was it worth it? Yes i prefer to be 215 and healthy then 377 and near death.

My key Phrase (You will be given a tool to help you get healthy, but you need to make sure you can run the workshop)

I think it's kind of normal to have fears/second-thoughts as you approach surgery. I know that I did. I thought I'd dealt with them, but honestly, I started crying as they placed me on the surgical table and started strapping me in. The surgical staff tried to comfort me, but really the only thing that stopped the crying was the anesthesia. Today, I have NO REGRETS. I had a sort of "grieving" period in my first year as my relationship with food changed, but regret...no.

Question 2: You can eat "regular" food usually in about 4-6 weeks. It goes by faster than you'd think and isn't as much of a burden as you'd think. For me, I had no interest in food and really only ate because I knew that I had to get some nutrition in.

Question 3: The pre-op liquid diet is hard, but not undoable. I just kept myself focused on the goal. It was much easier afterward (see above).

Question 4: Any unflavored Protein powder can be mixed in nearly anything. The options are limited only to your imagination. To my knowledge, the only limitation has to do with temperature. Some powders don't mix well or "curdle" in Water over 140°. When I first started out, I mixed mine with Fairlife Milk for shakes. I also did protein puddings and Jello. Bonus: Early on, one of the best decisions I made was to purchase a chicken Soup flavored protein. It was a life-saver because after a while I got REALLY tired of the sweet varieties.

Question 5: For me...It was definitely worth it. I feel so much better and am not sure why I waited so long. BUT, as others have said, remember that it's only a tool.