Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regular Foods after Bypass- Pizza, Sugar, Bread..Tell me

For those of your who have had RNY Bypass... who here experiences dumping syndrome and who has been lucky enough to avoid it? Months or years out, who can enjoy a regular sandwich with cheese and mayo, pizza, ice cream, Cookies, charcuterie plate, sweet cocktail (all in moderation) and who here suffers anytime they don't adhere to a strict post-op clean diet? How much could you eat before compared to what you can eat now. Do you feel "normal" at some point after surgery, or is there always an odd feeling as you go about your day and when you eat once you have surgery? I want your deets - the victories and the miseries!

Edited by AJSassyPants
TYPO

Did not do the bypass but was sleeved. I can eat anything I want. No problem with a cookie, drink, pizza etc. However Slow and Low is my plan - Two x mas Cookies and I am done for a hour or so, Overload the sugar and it passes right thru. For example in the past could eat the King Cut about a 3/4 lb of prime rib, yesterday about the size of a playing card. Past 15 Shrimp Now 3 .... So times have changed for sure but someone posted it here a long time ago

Its about Quaility of food ............. Not quantitiy!

I already answered most of this on your other thread, but I can eat anything now except for really high-fat meals. I've never dumped. The statistic that gets thrown around a lot on forums is that about 30% of us dump. I don't know if there's any hardcore medical research behind that number, although I've seen enough non-dumpers on this and other forums that I wouldn't doubt that number.

I can eat 1500-1700 calories a day and maintain my weight (I'm 5'6"). I'm active but not a gym rat. That range is going to vary a lot individually, though. Some women can eat 2000 kcal a day - some can only eat 1200. I would say I eat about as much as my never-been-obese women friends who are always watching their weight. If I go to a restaurant, I'll usually order a salad or an appetizer - or else I'll get an entree and bring half of it home (or maybe 2/3 of it if it's really big). That's about what my normie women friends eat.

btw - dumping can be controlled by limiting or avoiding sugar (or fat - some people dump on fat).

and lastly, yes - I do feel normal (actually more normal now than I did when I was morbidly obese!)

I'm almost a year out. I have had a couple of dumping instances when I've had too much sugar - one time a small amount of a margarita and one time some cake. I can have small amount --- a couple of bites of cake v. a whole piece or a glass of wine and I'm fine. I don't push it because its unpleasant (although I seem to have pretty mild dumping, I just get a really bad stomach ache and extreme fatigue) and I think it's a good thing since I really don't need that much sugar anyway.

Other than that I can eat pretty much anything. I have found that carb heavy meals make me really sleepy. Since they are also generally calorie dense I don't do that very often. In fact, the vast majority of time I eat on plan.

In terms of volume, most meals I measure and I only need 5-6 oz to feel full. However, I can eat more. If I'm eating out I don't weigh my meals so I'm not sure how much. I just try to listen and stop when full. I've never gotten sick from eating too much .

I am almost 6 months out, and I don’t appear to be a “dumper” as I have eaten sugar and fatty foods. With that said, I have not tried any fried foods other than a couple of my husband’s French fries twice. I feel crappy (not dumping) if I eat too much sugar, so a very small portion of sweets is all I will do, if I am going to indulge. Same goes with high fat foods. I generally don’t eat much bread (former bread-aholic), but have had very small pieces of pizza twice. The couple of times I have had a sandwich, I take one or two bites with bread and the just eat the stuff inside. I feel like I can eat anything, but just need to watch the portions and listen to my body.

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I already answered most of this on your other thread, but I can eat anything now except for really high-fat meals. I've never dumped. The statistic that gets thrown around a lot on forums is that about 30% of us dump. I don't know if there's any hardcore medical research behind that number, although I've seen enough non-dumpers on this and other forums that I wouldn't doubt that number.

I can eat 1500-1700 calories a day and maintain my weight (I'm 5'6"). I'm active but not a gym rat. That range is going to vary a lot individually, though. Some women can eat 2000 kcal a day - some can only eat 1200. I would say I eat about as much as my never-been-obese women friends who are always watching their weight. If I go to a restaurant, I'll usually order a salad or an appetizer - or else I'll get an entree and bring half of it home (or maybe 2/3 of it if it's really big). That's about what my normie women friends eat.

btw - dumping can be controlled by limiting or avoiding sugar (or fat - some people dump on fat).

and lastly, yes - I do feel normal (actually more normal now than I did when I was morbidly obese!)

I forgot to mention (in case you didn't notice by my profile) that I'm 5.5 years out. I've been in maintenance for about four years.

2 hours ago, WishMeSmaller said:

I am almost 6 months out, and I don’t appear to be a “dumper” as I have eaten sugar and fatty foods. With that said, I have not tried any fried foods other than a couple of my husband’s French fries twice. I feel crappy (not dumping) if I eat too much sugar, so a very small portion of sweets is all I will do, if I am going to indulge. Same goes with high fat foods. I generally don’t eat much bread (former bread-aholic), but have had very small pieces of pizza twice. The couple of times I have had a sandwich, I take one or two bites with bread and the just eat the stuff inside. I feel like I can eat anything, but just need to watch the portions and listen to my body.

Thank you for this! I'm noticing your starting stats are very similar to mine. I'm 5'8 and 250. Are you willing to share about how many pounds came off each month ? You're only like 20 pounds from your goal weigh (my goal weight too) and it's only been 6 months.... go YOU!

Almost 2 years out. Never dumped. Can eat anything I like, but my portions are dramatically smaller. However............I have changed my lifestyle and do not WANT to eat the junk that made me fat in the first place. I make my own gluten free Pizza Crust with sweet potatoes and almond flour, and top with veggies. I avoid processed grains and sugars, alcohol, Cookies, and soda. Did I have candy today? Yup. Sure did. In fact, I ate a whole BIG HUNK candy bar!!!! But it's back to to Soup and salad tonight and right back on track tomorrow with my sautéed veggies and tofu scramble for Breakfast.

In short, I can eat sugar, but it makes me feel tired and achy. It is so inflammatory for me, that the sweetness really isn't worth the end result. Once you are off sugar, stuff like raisins or a piece of fruit are incredible sweet and delicious all by themselves.

On 12/25/2020 at 8:31 AM, AJSassyPants said:

For those of your who have had RNY Bypass... who here experiences dumping syndrome and who has been lucky enough to avoid it?

I can't have dairy but that's about it. I've lived vegan for a while in the past and with so many substitutes available these days I don't mind it that much.

A combo that sets me up for late dumping is the combination of sugar and alcohol, otherwise I'm fine.

Do you feel "normal" at some point after surgery, or is there always an odd feeling as you go about your day and when you eat once you have surgery?

Pretty much. There are so many people with intolerances, e. g. gluten or lactose, nut allergies etc. - it kind of feels normal or at least like nothing unusual or special.

19 hours ago, AJSassyPants said:

Thank you for this! I'm noticing your starting stats are very similar to mine. I'm 5'8 and 250. Are you willing to share about how many pounds came off each month ? You're only like 20 pounds from your goal weigh (my goal weight too) and it's only been 6 months.... go YOU!

Thanks! I lost 15 pounds on the two week liquid pre-op diet. I actually lost about 15-18 pounds each month for the first four months. My weight loss started to slow month 4-5 and has been very slow the last couple of weeks. I think it is normal for weight loss to slow as we get close to goal, but I’m not going to lie...it is annoying. My immediate goal is 164, which will be a normal BMI, and 100 pounds lost. So close!

BTW, I chose bypass due to pre-existing GERD.

Good luck to you!

6 months post Bypass here and I remember asking this question before surgery. I had what my surgeon calls a "short" bypass. Around 100 cm bypassed when 150 is the norm and I'm told 200 is typical on larger men. Anyway, my surgeon said "less bowel bypassed less chance of dumping and mal nutrition but also slower weight loss." I was ok with that. I didn't want to dump. Some people appreciate it because it helps them cure their sugar/carb addiction. But I wanted to be able to still have those things. Which really isn't the best frame of mind before WLS.

I can have a few bites of a sugary dessert. Anything more and I feel nauseated. It's intense. But I've never thrown up. Nausea lasts about 30 miserable minutes. Then passes. Problem with this is it doesn't help you overcome your addiction. And the nausea is a reminder that you don't seem to have control over your desire for carbs even tho it makes you feel sick. Anyway... you might ask your surgeon about their thoughts on Bypass length. I think it's interesting it isn't addressed more on this site and many people have no idea now much of their bowel had been bypassed.

17 minutes ago, MaybeMeow2 said:

I think it's interesting it isn't addressed more on this site and many people have no idea now much of their bowel had been bypassed.

you're right - i don't think this ever comes up with most people. I have no idea how much was bypassed on me..