Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost 21lbs in almost 2 months...is this good?

I’ve lost 21 lbs post op and I am very happy about that but I feel like I should be losing more. For the past month weight loss is every other week. I know that losing slow can be better for saggy skin and I also know that I don’t exercise enough, but I feel like I’m failing. I’m so afraid that I will stop losing and become a failed surgery. I follow the eating plan and fluid/protein intake requirements....maybe I’m just overthinking.

I lost 16 lbs the first month. By the end of the second month I was down 27 lbs, so I wasn't that far ahead of you. And I ended up losing every ounce of my excess weight. Just stick to your plan - the weight will come off, whether fast or slow. In the end it has everything to do with your level of commitment and very little to do with your rate of weight loss.

since you have over 100 lbs to lose, you're going to have excess skin - I don't think it makes any difference if you lose the weight slowly or quickly. It's damaged from being overstretched, and it's not going to bounce back. If you were talking 20 or 30 lbs, then yes, maybe - but at 100 or more lbs, probably not. So I'd really just focus on getting the weight off while it's relatively easy. It just gets harder and harder the further out you go. Most of us are able to hide our loose skin in clothes, so no one will know it's there but you - and if it really bothers you, there's always plastic surgery.

2 hours ago, Bobbifaces said:

I’ve lost 21 lbs post op and I am very happy about that but I feel like I should be losing more. For the past month weight loss is every other week. I know that losing slow can be better for saggy skin and I also know that I don’t exercise enough, but I feel like I’m failing. I’m so afraid that I will stop losing and become a failed surgery. I follow the eating plan and fluid/protein intake requirements....maybe I’m just overthinking.

I think you are doing wonderful..I had surgery 11.6.2020 and I have lost about 25..so it sounds like you are right on track. I too often wonder if I'm doing as well as others..

1 minute ago, Kleah73 said:

I think you are doing wonderful..I had surgery 11.6.2020 and I have lost about 25..so it sounds like you are right on track. I too often wonder if I'm doing as well as others..

one thing I learned early on is to not compare myself to others. There are so many things that factor into your rate of weight loss, and several of them you really have no control over. Age, gender, metabolic rate, activity level, starting BMI, whether or not you lost weight prior to surgery, your level of commitment to your program - these all play a role in your rate of weight loss. The only things you really have any control over is how closely you follow your surgeon's eating plan and your activity level. If you do a good job with these, then the weight will come off - whether fast or slow

I was a slow loser from the get-go, but I was very committed - rarely strayed from my plan - and lost all of my excess weight. I think in the end, commitment to your plan makes the most difference in your success.

Thank you all so much for the input! It's very helpful!

If you had not had surgery and started this journey - you would not have lost 21 pounds in two months - so heck yes ! You are doing great. Cheer yourself every ounce you lose !!!!

Edited by BriarRose

Have you ever lost 21 lbs in 2 months before surgery? Probably not. So yes, it's a GREAT loss! Don't compare yourself to others. Just do what you can do. You're ROCKING it!

21 pounds is great for two months! I think everyone experiences that self doubt that you're feeling and whether they'll be the one the surgery fails. I know this month in particular has been hard on me as I've only lost 3 pounds (which is the smallest amount I've lost in a month since surgery, but hey, I got six more days to lose a pound to tie what I lost in October which was only 4 pounds but I lost 7 in November and I think that's why this is a slow month) but I try to look at the good things that have happened... being able to buy clothes off the rack, fitting into a large in shirts and 14 in pants (I was a 6xl at the start of this year and 32 in pants, to put things into perspective), fitting into the regular sized hospital gown when I go to the ER or have to have test done instead of having to have them hunt down a plus sized gown, having the blood pressure cuff on my upper arm again since they used to have to take it on the lower part of my arm, being able to fit into the back seat of a car (the seat belts never used to fit), etc. Sometimes you just need to remind yourself of the small victories to make yourself feel better when you feel like you're in a slump.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you should try not to be discouraged or compare yourself to others. We all lose a different rate, and you are doing great!

1 hour ago, NovaLuna said:

21 pounds is great for two months! I think everyone experiences that self doubt that you're feeling and whether they'll be the one the surgery fails. I know this month in particular has been hard on me as I've only lost 3 pounds (which is the smallest amount I've lost in a month since surgery, but hey, I got six more days to lose a pound to tie what I lost in October which was only 4 pounds but I lost 7 in November and I think that's why this is a slow month) but I try to look at the good things that have happened... being able to buy clothes off the rack, fitting into a large in shirts and 14 in pants (I was a 6xl at the start of this year and 32 in pants, to put things into perspective), fitting into the regular sized hospital gown when I go to the ER or have to have test done instead of having to have them hunt down a plus sized gown, having the blood pressure cuff on my upper arm again since they used to have to take it on the lower part of my arm, being able to fit into the back seat of a car (the seat belts never used to fit), etc. Sometimes you just need to remind yourself of the small victories to make yourself feel better when you feel like you're in a slump.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you should try not to be discouraged or compare yourself to others. We all lose a different rate, and you are doing great!

How great! You have done a fantastic job! Always good to hear someone with a positive story.