Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction: it arrived!

Hi fellow MGB'ers (all 3ish of you, lol)

I was a little worried post-op during the liquid week and the puréed week that I wouldn't feel any restriction in my stomach. I can pretty much drink fluids as I wish, and thought what if they made my stomach or the outlet to the intestines too big?

So in case anyone else is wondering the same after MGB surgery, I just wanted to say restriction very much arrived in Week 3. It's a good amount, and I'm really happy with the amount I can eat (not too much, not too little).

I read we're apparently in a pretty golden spot when it comes to stretching, btw. I really hope that's true. So what they say is our lower-set pouch is almost like a sleeve (just smaller), and there's the least risk of stretching happening along the lesser curvature where our pouch is located. The sleevers battle with stretching due to still having the pyloric valve going, but we don't have to worry about that.

Any veteran MGB'ers out there with thoughts on stomach volume, restriction and stretching?

I just celebrated 4 years post MGB. I will say that I can eat more now at one time than I did right after surgery. But it is different depending on what I eat. I would not say that there has been that much stretching, and I'm in the process of losing my 'pandemic weight' (yes, I allowed myself to compromise and did some grazing of empty calories-chips mostly). But I'm back on track, and because I still don't get hungry, and know that I never will, I have gone back to tracking everything I eat on myfitnesspal.com. It's made me accountable, and I have ceased eating more than I track. If I don't want to track it, I don't eat it.

I was lucky or blessed in that I felt restriction with my first 'meal' after surgery. Two to three spoon-fuls of Jello and I could definitely feel the restriction. As I continued with the post op diet, I would get hiccups when I ate too much. Right now, I can eat roughly around a cup of food at a time, depending on what I eat. My tool pretty much reacts the same to food. Because I rely on real food to get to my Protein goals, except for a shake for dinner, it's made it harder to get the protein I need without the carbs I don't need. But I'm tweaking my diet as I go. And it's working. Between working out 5 days a week and picking foods that have a lot of protein with low calories and low carbs, I will get back to losing up to 5 lbs a week until I get back to my goal weight. My tool still works . I just need to use it.

I hope this helps. 😀👍

18 hours ago, GBLady41 said:

I just celebrated 4 years post MGB. I will say that I can eat more now at one time than I did right after surgery. But it is different depending on what I eat. I would not say that there has been that much stretching, and I'm in the process of losing my 'pandemic weight' (yes, I allowed myself to compromise and did some grazing of empty calories-chips mostly). But I'm back on track, and because I still don't get hungry, and know that I never will, I have gone back to tracking everything I eat on myfitnesspal.com. It's made me accountable, and I have ceased eating more than I track. If I don't want to track it, I don't eat it.

I was lucky or blessed in that I felt restriction with my first 'meal' after surgery. Two to three spoon-fuls of Jello and I could definitely feel the restriction. As I continued with the post op diet, I would get hiccups when I ate too much. Right now, I can eat roughly around a cup of food at a time, depending on what I eat. My tool pretty much reacts the same to food. Because I rely on real food to get to my Protein goals, except for a shake for dinner, it's made it harder to get the Protein I need without the carbs I don't need. But I'm tweaking my diet as I go. And it's working. Between working out 5 days a week and picking foods that have a lot of protein with low calories and low carbs, I will get back to losing up to 5 lbs a week until I get back to my goal weight. My tool still works . I just need to use it.

I hope this helps. 😀👍

Thank you so much for your encouraging answer! Ha, the hiccups, I've already met them :) From 1 oz. of chicken. It's really great to hear you still feel it's working, and to see that you're at goal weight. I chose the MGB specifically for the higher chance of a higher EWL, and for the seeming longevity of it. I wanted something between RNY and DS, and maybe that's exactly what I got.

Anyway, thanks so much for responding. I'm sure a lot of us newbie-MGBers (again, all 3ish of us) like to hear from the veterans!