Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Day Post Op - Vomiting Bad

I’ve been using phenegren and Zoltan, as well as a scoplaomine patch (probably spelled that wrong). I still cannot keep anything down.

and the viscous cycle just repeats because then my stomach hurts so bad. 😭😭

I’ve had several surgeries and 2 c sections and this is worse! I haven’t even drank anything but a sip of Water here and there since my surgery yesterday. Tell me I’m not alone, or crazy. I hope it gets better soon.

Are you in hospital or at home? If at home, have you spoken to your surgeon's office? What did they suggest?

If you are in hospital do they have you on iv fluids? What do they think is causing the vomiting?

This was my reaction, too. It does get better! It felt like the top of my stomach was spasming, followed by vomiting or dry heaves. I couldn’t keep anything down. At day 3 or 4 I returned to the doctors office. I got IV fluids for dehydration and a CT scan to make sure there wasn’t anything physically amiss. The spasm feeling slowly got better day by day, and by day 6 or 7 I was no longer vomiting.

Use a pillow against your stomach when you throw up. I placed a bowl on a counter at about mid-torso height so I didn’t have to bend over. The whole thing was scary and miserable, and I was full of regret. After I got the IV fluids I started to feel a little better, and having the reassurance from the nurses and doctor that my surgery was fine helped too.

I never could keep the zofran down. The scopolamine patch is what helped me.

I am now 5 months post-op, and that miserable feeling has faded from memory. All is going well and I’m glad I did it. Just make sure you let the doctor know so they can help you.

It's just the anesthesia and the major surgery you just had. Give it another 10 hours and the nausea will stop.

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. I did talk to the surgeon and he said it’s from anesthesia and it’s normal. He is going to give me the Emend pill to take today to help.

im just worried about being dehydrated because all I swallow comes back up, but they don’t seem concerned at the office.

I went through this too. I agree with everyone else, it should pass pretty quickly. Feel better. Hugs! 🤗

I vomited all day the day after surgery and then have felt fine since then. Don't worry this will pass!