Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Eating Enough

Hello. I’m 5 months post op of gastric bypass. The past month or so I have pretty much stopped eating. I didn’t realize it at first (became less mindful of eating). I was busy and so stressed with school and work and I have yet to get back a feeling of hunger since surgery. So not feeling hungry, being super busy and stressed made me completely forget. Last week it hit me that I was not taking care of myself and I had to get back into it. I made two ounces of grilled chicken to try and I couldn’t do it. I didn’t want to. I had half of it and then felt guilty for eating. I keep trying to remind myself that I have to eat, but it feels like my mind is telling me not to. I’ve stalled in my weight loss for 3 weeks and I know it’s because I’m not eating. Exercising has become almost impossible because I’m feeling weak. Has anyone else gone from using food to cope, to using restricting food to cope? I feel like that’s what is happening to me and I don’t want to fall into that. How can I stop these thoughts and get back on track? Any suggestions would be much appreciated ♥️

Honestly most of the time I view eating as a chore. I started tracking my food intake with Baritastic so I could make sure I meat my goals. Try setting a timer a few times a day to eat. Do like 4 or 5smaller meals a day instead of 3 “big” ones. It might be easier on you.

Same here just do not eat much and it is a pain for me to eat. I have chosen to go with strong shakes with tons of Vitamins and minerals and all kinds of stuff. More like smoothies.

Honestly I feel like it could easily become a whole different type of eating disorder for some of us. It is so easy to replace eating with obsessing over losing weight/obsessing over the scale/calories, etc.

1 hour ago, skyewolfe said:

Honestly most of the time I view eating as a chore. I started tracking my food intake with Baritastic so I could make sure I meat my goals. Try setting a timer a few times a day to eat. Do like 4 or 5smaller meals a day instead of 3 “big” ones. It might be easier on you.

A timer is a great idea, hadn’t thought of that. And more smaller meals don’t seem so overwhelming. Thank you for this!

8 minutes ago, G994 said:

A timer is a great idea, hadn’t thought of that. And more smaller meals don’t seem so overwhelming. Thank you for this!

No prob :) it’s what my nutritionist suggested to me when I saw her a couple of weeks ago. I’m going through the same thing as you with eating. I try not to graze because it’s a bad habit but sometimes I just can’t eat an actual meal. Just like one or two bites here then an hour later another bite lol

I know I don't eat enough either. I'm trying to be more mindful and eat slower, I tend to just have 2 or 3 quick bites and then be over it, I also have teeth aligners in and have to take them out to eat so I've turned that into an excuse not too a lot, especially when I'm out with people. shakes and smoothies are better so I've been adding Protein and greens to them to get the intake up, this has helped me a lot!

2 hours ago, Sassafras1 said:

I know I don't eat enough either. I'm trying to be more mindful and eat slower, I tend to just have 2 or 3 quick bites and then be over it, I also have teeth aligners in and have to take them out to eat so I've turned that into an excuse not too a lot, especially when I'm out with people. shakes and smoothies are better so I've been adding Protein and greens to them to get the intake up, this has helped me a lot!

Just wanted to say HI, sleeve twin (we had our surgeries 1 day apart).. Looks like you are doing really good on the weight loss!! Congrats.

I eat very much to routine most of the time i.e. to time. I also don’t mind if I take an hour to eat a meal. It’s how I ensure I meet my goals & get in enough food during the day.

There’s no rule to say you have to eat all of your meal in one sitting. As long as your meeting your goals each day. Skyewolfe’s suggestion to eat 4 or 5 smaller meals is a good one as is Mr Alley Gator’s of trying nutritionally boosted shakes to sip during the day. Give them a go. Different things work for different people. You just have to find what works for you.

Have a chat with your medical team about your reluctance to eat. They may suggest you speak with a therapist to work through why you’re feeling this way.

Good luck.