Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had a zoom appointment with my dietitian and I need to vent. I am taking my Vitamins, hitting my 80 grams of Protein, getting my 90 ounces of Water and my labs are coming back good. I am no longer needing my blood pressure meds and my diabetic medications. I thought this was going to be a good job all is well kind of meeting and go about my day. I was just bumped up to regular foods with no restrictions.

Well that didn't go as planned.

I was instead given a type of menu that looks like trouble to me. There is no way I can eat 800 calories a day right now much less some of the things on this.

800 calories a day just seems pretty high to me??? Anyone else think that a month out when your sleeve is still super restrictive and weight is falling off that 800 calories is a lot?? Am I being a little psycho about this???

My app tells me that I will almost be doubling my intake, right now I am averaging between 400 and 425 a day? I was actually getting more calories in when I was doing just liquids in when I was drinking Protein Shakes, now I am low on protein I am drinking an extra Bone Broth for 50 calories instead of the 150 calories in a shake>

Anyway, I will do what they tell me I guess since its worked so far but I am freaking out a bit and I really do not know how I will be able to bump up that much without feeling miserable most of the day :(

I'm sure I was eating more than 400 a day when I was a month out, but I doubt I was at 800 at that point. I know I ate in the 600-800 range most of that first year, but I can't remember when I started that - maybe after about two months? Maybe just go up by 100 or so calories at a time? You'll almost certainly lose weight at 800 kcal (as I said, a lot of us eat that for much of the first year), but going from 400 to 800 practically overnight would be pretty drastic.

27 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I'm sure I was eating more than 400 a day when I was a month out, but I doubt I was at 800 at that point. I know I ate in the 600-800 range most of that first year, but I can't remember when I started that - maybe after about two months? Maybe just go up by 100 or so calories at a time? You'll almost certainly lose weight at 800 kcal (as I said, a lot of us eat that for much of the first year), but going from 400 to 800 practically overnight would be pretty drastic.

my calorie count went down when I went from full liquid to soft because I quit the Protein Shakes, and now to go up to 800 just seems like a big jump.

I will slowly climb and get there but its going to be a gradual climb!!! LOL

I'm 6 months post procedure and still have at least one Protein Shake a day. Just met with the dietician and she told me to increase to two Protein Shakes a day to increase both calories and Protein. So why did you quit the protein shakes?

1 minute ago, km13118 said:

I'm 6 months post procedure and still have at least one Protein Shake a day. Just met with the dietician and she told me to increase to two Protein Shakes a day to increase both calories and Protein. So why did you quit the Protein shakes?

I was getting my protein in with my meals and Bone Broth and really felt that the shakes were just adding extra calories. She agreed that my protein needs are being met with my current diet but she would like to see more calories as well.

At a month out, I was consuming 500 to 550 calories a day. I needed the 150 calories the Protein Shake provided to reach that amount.

Just now, km13118 said:

At a month out, I was consuming 500 to 550 calories a day. I needed the 150 calories the Protein Shake provided to reach that amount.

I am close to that 500 calories now. I guess a shake isn't going to kill me, I just keep thinking that if it isn't broke dont fix it!! LOL

I know your shock. I just had my 6 month consult and was to to increase my daily calorie intake to 1200. I about fell off the stool I was sitting on.

There is no way I could eat 800 calories one month out. I would have been in bed sick all day. Just do the best you can do. Make sure to get your Protein in and take your Vitamins and listen to your body. Most of those dieticians have never even been through the surgery, so they have no idea what it is like.

Fortunely my dietician has so I consider that a big plus.

2 hours ago, Betty1971 said:

I just had a zoom appointment with my dietitian and I need to vent. I am taking my Vitamins, hitting my 80 grams of Protein, getting my 90 ounces of Water and my labs are coming back good. I am no longer needing my blood pressure meds and my diabetic medications. I thought this was going to be a good job all is well kind of meeting and go about my day. I was just bumped up to regular foods with no restrictions.

Well that didn't go as planned.

I was instead given a type of menu that looks like trouble to me. There is no way I can eat 800 calories a day right now much less some of the things on this.

800 calories a day just seems pretty high to me??? Anyone else think that a month out when your sleeve is still super restrictive and weight is falling off that 800 calories is a lot?? Am I being a little psycho about this???

My app tells me that I will almost be doubling my intake, right now I am averaging between 400 and 425 a day? I was actually getting more calories in when I was doing just liquids in when I was drinking Protein Shakes, now I am low on Protein I am drinking an extra Bone Broth for 50 calories instead of the 150 calories in a shake>

Anyway, I will do what they tell me I guess since its worked so far but I am freaking out a bit and I really do not know how I will be able to bump up that much without feeling miserable most of the day :(

If you think 800 is too much for your body, right now then you should not do it. I get that she is the nutritionist but it's your body and no two bodies are alike. I wasn't anywhere near 800 calories one month out. I am almost at a year and some days still only hit 800. On days I have longer workouts I do hit 900-1,000 calories but I am almost at a year now. Most importantly how do you feel, I don't think you should feed yourself or force more on yourself than you need. Also no stretching your stomach, you need to really stop and listen to your body.

Gosh I don't know how you get in 90 ounces of Water, I struggle with that every day. Keep up the good work.

6 minutes ago, Ostflicka said:

If you think 800 is too much for your body, right now then you should not do it. I get that she is the nutritionist but it's your body and no two bodies are alike. I wasn't anywhere near 800 calories one month out. I am almost at a year and some days still only hit 800. On days I have longer workouts I do hit 900-1,000 calories but I am almost at a year now. Most importantly how do you feel, I don't think you should feed yourself or force more on yourself than you need. Also no stretching your stomach, you need to really stop and listen to your body.

Gosh I don't know how you get in 90 ounces of Water, I struggle with that every day. Keep up the good work.

I drink a lot Bone Broth three times a day and I am lucky that I love water! I drink Water all day and even in the night. I have the cirkul bottle and set it low and can suck on water all day and night long!!! I am like a baby with a binky!!! LOL

Edited by Betty1971

You should listen to your body.... and if 800 is too much... it's too much. Me, personally, I wouldn't go up that much. I think someone else suggested 100 cal increase. I'm a year + out and I like to stay at 600-800 a day. But i'm also in maintenance. I like being at 120ish. I know that if i wanted to lose more all i have to do is go back to 500cal a day.

Do what your body tells you to do. My doctor's office doesn't do calories, they just do portion sizes and macros like grams of Protein.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional.

I often think that nutritionists/dietitians give calorie goals to patients to ensure they are legally covered should something arise. I mean, advising a patient to eat less than 300 calories a day is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Further, to this, I often find that all these "goals" are some very generalized numbers given to all patients with little consideration of the individual's needs & physical make up. I am female, 5"2", was 235lbs. If I remember correctly, I was told to get in 75G of Protein and aim to be at 1000-1200 cals before my 3 month follow up. These same instructions were given to men who were twice my original size. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Do what you can. Let your team know what you are doing, and keep up with your labs.

Good Luck! ❤️

P.S. At two months I was at about 300-400 a day. I didn't get to 800+ until AFTER I was done with weight loss phase. Now (at 2+ years out) I can do 1500-2000, depending on how much exercise I get in.

Edited by ms.sss