Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 minutes ago, Samym said:

I just called and Ontario still has not opened up Bariatric surgery. The waiting game is killing me.

Ugh. It was killing me too.
I ended up messaging my case manager last week (just to let them know I’m ready and anxious because I haven’t heard anything) . That was Friday. And I got a call this afternoon.
I was trying to not be pushy but I know they have been open since mid February. perhaps if I had called earlier I would have been scheduled sooner but at least this step is done. Next step surgery

On 3/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, Orinskye said:

Got my date: my date is March 24th

Yay! I am 5 days out and feeling great the first 2 days were more uncomfortable than painful walking it definitely your best friend you literally have to walk through the gas...and there is a lot of gas... i didnt need to take any of the pain meds they prescribed .. i used liquid tylenol twice and that was good enough.. i also reccomed Isopure for the liquid protien ... it has twice the Protein then premier... Good Luck

15 minutes ago, baritheri said:

Yay! I am 5 days out and feeling great the first 2 days were more uncomfortable than painful walking it definitely your best friend you literally have to walk through the gas...and there is a lot of gas... i didnt need to take any of the pain meds they prescribed .. i used liquid tylenol twice and that was good enough.. i also reccomed Isopure for the liquid protien ... it has twice the Protein then premier... Good Luck

I was looking into those but I saw on the ingredients list that it has phosphoric acid in it. That is a big nono for me. My dietary requirements are a tad more strict than most. I tried looking at a variety to see if they have one that doesn’t have phosphoric acid and I couldn’t find one.
salt- big nono.
sugar- nope
phosphoric acid- big nono.

my food is so bland lol.

Bari did you have to do a class prior to surgery?

they just scheduled me a pre op appointment on the 19th and then a “class” that I have to take on the 17th (virtual). We just did three months of classes..... not gunna lie, I was a little irritated that I had to do more 😑

a nurse appointment yet to be scheduled prior to surgery.
plus a covid test also yet to be scheduled

29 minutes ago, Orinskye said:

Bari did you have to do a class prior to surgery?

they just scheduled me a pre op appointment on the 19th and then a “class” that I have to take on the 17th (virtual). We just did three months of classes..... not gunna lie, I was a little irritated that I had to do more 😑

a nurse appointment yet to be scheduled prior to surgery.
plus a covid test also yet to be scheduled

I did not... the week prior to the surgery... i had a phone apt with the dr. He basically told me not to eat solids 2 days before surgery and asked if i had questions... and a phone apt with the nurse the scheduled a pregnancy and a covid test for me...i just had to walk in to any kaiser lab 3 days before surgery...I also never had a psych eval 🤷🏻‍♀️

Damn. How come I got the doc who lights his hoops you have to jump through on fire? Lol

i have to actually go up to SEE him (no phone appointment- and let me tell you..., that’s a drive). Another class. A nurse phone appointment. And covid test. 😒

1 hour ago, Orinskye said:

Damn. How come I got the doc who lights his hoops you have to jump through on fire? Lol

i have to actually go up to SEE him (no phone appointment- and let me tell you..., that’s a drive). Another class. A nurse phone appointment. And covid test. 😒

When i was being discharged i heard the nurse saying to another person " you got the strict doctor make sure you take all your liquids on these medicine caps" she pointed at me and said you got lucky.. but it will all be worth it... the nurses there are awesome, the anesthesiologist everyone make sure not to take cash on surgery day just and id and ur kaiser card even waiting for the surgery is chill you get a blanket and tv...

Yup. I’ve heard that dr Kim is the strict one. That’s good to know for sure going in though. He was nice enough on the phone and sounded like he had great bedside manner (I’ve had some “great” drs that are jerks).

Did they do an epidural at all or just knock you out through the IV?

I’m getting super excited and counting down the days. My last day of work is Monday next week (have to do all those pre op things that week) and I’m in the process of trying to offload my duties (my kids, their school runs, easter that following week, etc).
no one knows that I’m doing this beside my parents and my husband. Everyone else is under the impression I’m doing surgery to help my knees/ankles (not entirely a lie since the weight loss is intended to help with that purpose in mind).

54 minutes ago, Orinskye said:

Yup. I’ve heard that dr Kim is the strict one. That’s good to know for sure going in though. He was nice enough on the phone and sounded like he had great bedside manner (I’ve had some “great” drs that are jerks).

Did they do an epidural at all or just knock you out through the IV?

I’m getting super excited and counting down the days. My last day of work is Monday next week (have to do all those pre op things that week) and I’m in the process of trying to offload my duties (my kids, their school runs, easter that following week, etc).
no one knows that I’m doing this beside my parents and my husband. Everyone else is under the impression I’m doing surgery to help my knees/ankles (not entirely a lie since the weight loss is intended to help with that purpose in mind).

Oh no no epidural.. honestly it was painless... more of an uncomfort feeling but nothing really caused pain... and my tolerance for pain is very low... the gas pains like i said ...u just have to walk through.... i never took the pain meds that they gave me at discharge...my sister is an rn and told me they might do more harm then good... she said they might cause me to throw up and that would hurt...they gave me hydromorphone... she said it was stronger than morphine...I literally told my immediate family a week before surgery... i didnt want my parents and husband to worry for too long... i told my friends immediately after ... i wasnt ashamed i just wanted to prevent anyone trying to talk me out of it...BE EXCITED!!!! Oh I did take tylenol liquid the first day but i think i did it to prevent future pain 🤷🏻‍♀️

How are the food cravings? Do you have any? Is the liquid only thing rough going?
I already know the no drinking around meals is going to be tough for me.

it’s not shame really..... more like “protection”. Lol

my in laws are super nosy and wield knowledge like a weapon. For some strange reason they think they have a right to be privy to my private medical information. In order to keep things easy we just don’t discuss that info. It’s a very odd situation. I’ve never been so blatantly disrespected by someone who shows absolutely zero remorse for crossing boundaries (repeatedly) . 🤷🏼‍♀️

46 minutes ago, Orinskye said:

How are the food cravings? Do you have any? Is the liquid only thing rough going?
I already know the no drinking around meals is going to be tough for me.

it’s not shame really..... more like “protection”. Lol

my in laws are super nosy and wield knowledge like a weapon. For some strange reason they think they have a right to be privy to my private medical information. In order to keep things easy we just don’t discuss that info. It’s a very odd situation. I’ve never been so blatantly disrespected by someone who shows absolutely zero remorse for crossing boundaries (repeatedly) . 🤷🏼‍♀️

Oh im sorry to hear that support is nice.. the day after i told my friends i had 3 flower arrangements sent ... I had not told my in-laws but when my husband told them they came also brought some flower its a little different i known my husband since kindergarten we attended a little catholic school so all the families are pretty close my mother in law took care of me as a kid.. and the cravings are all a mind thing.. when i see food i crave it for a second then think about how full i get from a sip of Water and cant even imagine eating... i tell my friends from here on out im just going to lick everything lol... well keep strong 💪 this is a huge positive step for your self 👏

How are you feeling any side effects? Are you able to take in your Protein?

My husband over the weekend told me that after the 24tth I will be “cheating” to lose weight. Super angry about that. he has never been supportive of this and noticed my weight loss over the weekend as I was putting on leggings (he noted my legs were super skinny- aka- ankles NOT swollen twice their normal size). So many eye rolls here it’s a miracle I can still see straight.

BUT: I am getting excited. It’s getting real! I have my class on Wednesday and pre op on Friday. And today is my last day of work until Mid/end April!!!!! (I’m a sub teacher and following surgery I will take two weeks, then the following week is spring break.... people don’t usually call in sick right after vacation so I will likely not get called until May).

I am thanking my lucky stars I got in because they are doing another round of shut downs in Europe due to covid. The trend with the covid surges has typically been to hit Europe first then the USA. 😬

I’m so excited for you. I hope all goes well.

I’m still waiting for my call. 🤔 Wonder if they will reopen soon and get some surgeries out of the way.

I did my pre- pre - op class lol (so many hoops !)

It was like the online classes only they went over stuff that you need to bring to the hospital, pick up and drop off instructions, things that may happen after surgery, food basics for the first serveral weeks, they showed pics of the facility, they talked about cross addiction, the incisions and wound care, etc.

oh they also mentioned that you should take a picture of your Kaiser card and then have your person who is picking you up stop by the pharmacy and grab your meds while you are getting released. (Great tip!)

So ....relevant info..... it wasn’t too bad.
I also returned my wheelchair since I am walking better with the weight loss I’ve already had and don’t need it anymore.
I have my pre op appointment with the surgeon on Friday (in person). I plan to make some Protein sugar free Jell-O shots this weekend. I buckled and ordered some of the clear Isopure drinks online because the Premier Protein isn’t good for Clear Liquids stage. (Isopure has phosphoric acid in it which I’m not supposed to have, but my phosphorus levels are lowered since May last year and a little bit just during the clear stage won’t kill me).

in discussion during the online meeting I also realized that I might be too ambitious. I am getting surgery on Wednesday. My kids are spending the night elsewhere Tuesday-Friday. My plan was to pick them up on Friday but that only gives me a two day recovery before I’m in mom mode. Not to mention I’m not supposed to drive for a week. I don’t think that plan is realistic. So I made arrangements to have them stay with family until mid week the week after surgery. That will give me 1 week of recovery before I have to play referee between my 10 and 4 year old boys.