Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stall, hair loss and other changes (warning, TMI)

On 12/21/2020 at 5:28 AM, LAJ23 said:

Secondly (sorry to the men in the group), I'm 48 and suddenly started getting my period again. I'm on a medication that is supposed to stop it completely due to a previous medical issue, but obviously, something has changed so much with my body, that the medication, which has been effective for several years, is no longer working. I emailed my dr. and she started me on estrogen for 10 days but isn't sure why the previous medication stopped working. Have any of you ladies had this issue?

You betcha. I'm 56 and get this, I had a partial hysterectomy 10 years ago! But about 6 months post-bariatric surgery, I started having a "pseudo-period" - cramps and spotting on the same cycle my period would have been. No one can figure out what's going on, not my bariatric team, not my GYN and not my primary doctor. I don't even have the anatomy anymore for a true period, but my body is obviously trying to do *something* period-like. I think this is an effect of drastic weight loss that hasn't been studied and isn't well-understood. Fortunately, it's just light spotting, so it's not a huge issue (even if it is a huge mystery).

2 hours ago, Jaelzion said:

You betcha. I'm 56 and get this, I had a partial hysterectomy 10 years ago! But about 6 months post-bariatric surgery, I started having a "pseudo-period" - cramps and spotting on the same cycle my period would have been. No one can figure out what's going on, not my bariatric team, not my GYN and not my primary doctor. I don't even have the anatomy anymore for a true period, but my body is obviously trying to do *something* period-like. I think this is an effect of drastic weight loss that hasn't been studied and isn't well-understood. Fortunately, it's just light spotting, so it's not a huge issue (even if it is a huge mystery).

Wow! That really is a mystery! How crazy! Thankfully, the estrogen has kicked in and seems to be working for me, but I worried that once I'm off it, it'll come back. I hope you find some resolution soon as well.

I'm not a doctor. I'm wondering if you might have endometriosis.... small areas of uterine tissue that grows in areas other than the uterus but still responds to hormonal changes as if it lived in a uterus. So if you still have ovaries that signal a period, that tissue gets the signal and sheds.
Sorry if tmi....hth.

20 minutes ago, Penny1966 said:

I'm not a doctor. I'm wondering if you might have endometriosis.... small areas of uterine tissue that grows in areas other than the uterus but still responds to hormonal changes as if it lived in a uterus. So if you still have ovaries that signal a period, that tissue gets the signal and sheds.
Sorry if tmi....hth.

That's a good thought, but I've been checked for endometriosis and there's no sign of it. My GYN is as mystified as all my other doctors, LOL. They're kind of looking at her like "What's going on?" and she's like "Darned if I know!" It's really weird. The GYN is looking at the hematologist saying "You're giving her Lovenox (an anticoagulant), couldn't that be causing it?" and my hematologist is like "Not that I've ever heard of..." They really can't figure it out.

Edit to add: I do have one ovary and last we checked, I was still pumping out hormones.

Edited by Jaelzion

Ugh.....I was hoping I was on to something. Not that I'd wish endometriosis on anyone BUT I know the greatest doc for that. Well, I hope someone comes along with the right answer. Wishing you well.

Ask them to prescribe the ppi and if it goes away, you have your answer. OTC type too.

I got so tired of this battle. I was having an issue with drinking that Protein and the Unjury taste terrible. Have you tried fairlife shakes they are not thick and they taste good. They make some that are high protein and I have purchased at walmart..you should try they really are good and have high protein. Of course choc flavor is best. These are great for people with regular milk products, never had any issues until after surgery.

As you lose weight a lot of the oestrogen stored in your fat is released into your body. It’s why a lot of women suddenly start having heavier, more frequent or more uncomfortable periods after surgery. In my case it made my life easier as all my menopausal symptoms disappeared. Once I hit my goal & lost more, my symptoms returned because I wasn’t releasing oestrogen any more. I’m wondering if this is why you have been experiencing something like a period & I have to admit I thought you might have small amounts of endometriosis too. If your periods are being caused by the release of oestrogen, I would think adding more oestrogen would make it worse. But I’m not a doctor. Just throwing thoughts about.