Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Always hungry...

Hi.

I'm 5 weeks post wls now.

I feel really hungry all the time.

No matter how much Water I drink.

I won't say I can eat alot at one but I'm always hungry after few hours.

Try to keep it to 3 meals and 2 Snacks maximum.

I'm afraid I am stretching my pouch already and will never loose weight.

Anyone else had the same problem?

Plus what about carbs?

Do they make you more hungry?

Sent from my SM-N960F using BariatricPal mobile app

I guess the first question is is it really hunger? There’s lots of things that make us think we’re hungry but we’re not: head hunger, emotional hunger, habit eating hunger, etc. Even when acid builds in your tummy you can think you’re hungry.

A lot of the part of your tummy that produces the hunger hormone was removed in your surgery. But, all that other stuff that drove us to eat, mentioned above, that are often more powerful, are still there. That’s why doing the head work is important. There’s a lot of learning as we go through this process about why we eat, when we eat, what we eat, etc. Ask yourself do you need to eat something or just want to eat something.

I still often just don’t feel hungry & my real hunger feels different now. I feel restless, hallow & I often don’t realise that’s what’s wrong for a while.

I was told to avoid carbs because they slow weight loss, fill you up more quickly & many aren’t nutritionally rich. I don’t know about whether they make you more hungry.

Portion Control is very important. If your meals are 2-3ozs or quarter to a third of a cup & predominantly Protein you’re on the right track & you won’t be stretching anything.

You’ll work it out & there’s a lot of people on this forum willing to share their experiences & offer advice. Good luck.

Edited by Arabesque

You sure your hungry? Or head hungry? You are at the time of Head games. Spread out your meals over 5 instead of 3 same quantity but split 5 ways

I was also hungry, especially with the Protein Shakes. I could never drink enough of it to satisfy me for more than hour or two. Now that I am on soft foods it’s so much better. One scrambled egg keeps me going for 4 or 5 hours. I also found that carbs don’t fill me for long, for example Cereal soaked in milk only satisfied for a couple of hours.

Thank you all for your experiences and suggestions.
It is real hunger.. my tummy rumbles, I feel low and acidity rising up.
As soon as I eat something I feel much better.
I will try and monitor it further.
Proteins like egg keep me fuller too for longer but carbs don't.
I will try and avoid carbs and eat more Proteins.< br>Maybe this will make a difference.

13 minutes ago, sach1 said:

I will try and avoid carbs and eat more Proteins.< br>Maybe this will make a difference.

This may just be stomach acid overproduction which can mimic hunger prompts/pains especially if carbs (like cracker & bread) stops it.

Are you taking a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) ?

You could also be facing real or head hunger. But if it a a physical feeling in the digestive system, speak to your Team and get their opinion on what to do next since you are still early post op

there's a chance it could be real hunger - but it's more likely stomach acid or head hunger, like others have said.

and yes - carbs do have that effect on some people. I'm not particularly carb sensitive, but a lot of people are - they seem to stimulate hunger for a lot of people..

This may just be stomach acid overproduction which can mimic hunger prompts/pains especially if carbs (like cracker & bread) stops it.
Are you taking a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) ?
You could also be facing real or head hunger. But if it a a physical feeling in the digestive system, speak to your Team and get their opinion on what to do next since you are still early post op
No I'm not taking PPI.

I will speak to my team. Maybe I should start some PPI to calm the acid down and then see how it works out.
I had to throw up last few days but it was just acid no proper vomit.
I feel too that carbs make me feel more hungry and Protein keeps me fuller for longer.
Going to experiment more with the routine to know what suits me best.
Really appreciate all your comments.
Thank you

I had real, legitimate hunger because I was getting hypoglycemic. I’m not diabetic, but I have PCOS so my insulin levels were too high, which would make me hypoglycemic and feel weak, shaky, and starving until I ate again. I had the same problem pre-op and naively thought the surgery would help fix it. I was started on medication which helped immensely. They gave me an appetite suppressant (phentermine), and Saxenda and metformin for the crazy insulin levels, and it made a difference in my hunger level within a day or two.

I had real, legitimate hunger because I was getting hypoglycemic. I’m not diabetic, but I have PCOS so my insulin levels were too high, which would make me hypoglycemic and feel weak, shaky, and starving until I ate again. I had the same problem pre-op and naively thought the surgery would help fix it. I was started on medication which helped immensely. They gave me an appetite suppressant (phentermine), and Saxenda and metformin for the crazy insulin levels, and it made a difference in my hunger level within a day or two.

Oh my... I suffer from PCOS too.
Now having same issues you described. Might be because of the insulin levels.
I used to take inositol before the surgery but wasn't sure if I should continue with it after the surgery.
I will ask my doctor tomorrow.
How often do you take metformin?
Did it help you with further weightloss?

10 hours ago, sach1 said:

Oh my... I suffer from PCOS too.
Now having same issues you described. Might be because of the insulin levels.
I used to take inositol before the surgery but wasn't sure if I should continue with it after the surgery.
I will ask my doctor tomorrow.
How often do you take metformin?
Did it help you with further weightloss?

I did the metformin and Saxenda for a couple months and I do think it helped me lose weight faster. I then stopped all my meds due to other issues and have been off of everything for like 4 months. I restarted the metformin a couple days ago and have been super nauseated so I’m going to stop again.

if you have PCOS, it wouldn’t hurt to see if they can check your insulin levels. It’s not a lab that is typically done. Mine was checked for an infertility work up, or I would have had no idea.

Edited by stacer12

I did the metformin and Saxenda for a couple months and I do think it helped me lose weight faster. I then stopped all my meds due to other issues and have been off of everything for like 4 months. I restarted the metformin a couple days ago and have been super nauseated so I’m going to stop again.
if you have PCOS, it wouldn’t hurt to see if they can check your insulin levels. It’s not a lab that is typically done. Mine was checked for an infertility work up, or I would have had no idea.
My pcos was diagnosed bt the GP. He prescribed me metformin but I felt very nauseous and uncomfortable.
Then I fell pregnant and stopped taking all kind of medicine. My baby is 10 months old now. I did not have a single period for the first 7 months after birth.
Once they started i had continues spotting. After 3 weeks the doctor prescribed me hormone tablets to stop it. After a week or two the proper heavy bleeding. The weight went up and I looked like if someone has pumped air in me.
Now a days its difficult to go to the gp. All they do is attend on call. I will ask them to make a full blood test but don't think it will be possible before next year.
I have messaged me surgeon and his team asking about inositol and if I can continue taking that, as it doesn't make me sick like metformin.
How long did you take the appetite suppressant?
My weightloss has slowed down.
I will start the inositol and see how it goes.
I'm just afraid of expanding my pouch. Don't want to waste all my effort and courage to get the surgery done.

On 12/21/2020 at 9:24 AM, sach1 said:

I feel you, and same, real hunger. One day at a time!