Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regaining weight, help!!

I'm almost 2 years post surgery and never hit my goal weight. I didn't have that much to lose, weight before surgery - 190, 5"4 but I only got down to 140.

Covid has hit, I'm a bit blue and I'm up 15 pounds. I'm disgusted with myself. I'm going back to Protein Shakes in morning, any suggestions?

I've continued to take bariatric Multivitamins, do I need to continue for the rest of my life?

What kind of Protein do you eat on a daily basis? I can only eat so much chicken and eggs. I need some variety.

I have no energy and probably down due to the pandemic. What are you doing to stay motivated?

Thanks!

140 pounds at 5'4" gives you a BMI of 24.0 which is in the normal range, so I wouldn't say you did badly with the surgery. It's good that you're trying to turn your regain around before it's gotten too large. Why not go back to eating the way you did soon after surgery? For me that was Protein first, then veggies, no carby foods like rice, potatoes or bread and of course no sweets. My doctor's eating plan is moderately low carb, so I limited starchy veggies like sweet potatoes, carrots and corn.

Although I can eat more than I could in year 1, I still don't eat nearly as much as I did before surgery (either in amount or variety), so I do still take a bariatric Multivitamin.

As far as types of protein, I eat lots of different things: yogurt, chicken, beef, a pork chop, Italian sausage, firm cheese like cheddar or jack, soft cheese like Ricotta, cottage cheese (I like large curd), lunch meat if I'm on the go and can't get anything else, turkey (whatever parts you like), Beans of various kinds and on and on. I used to eat Protein Bars but they slowed my weightloss so I stopped, but you might not have that issue. When eating out I usually order a Cobb salad or Chef salad and focus on the protein (I generally can't eat much of the greens).

Because you've lost 50 pounds, you might need to track your calories closely. I've lost 120 and I definitely eat fewer calories to maintain that than I did at my top weight. It's kind of trial and error to find the sweet spot where you don't gain or lose.

As far as motivation, everyone has different ways of coping with the COVID-19 blues. I'm high risk for COVID-19 so I'm pretty much stuck in the house. It helps me to go for a walk every day. I get fresh air, exercise and sunlight that way and it's helped me keep my mood stable. I've also bought a few new clothing items that I really like. I'd hate to get too big for them so that motivates me to weigh myself regularly and adjust as necessary. I inherited a BEAUTIFUL dress from my Mom and if I gain any significant weight I won't be able to fit in it. Sometimes I just take it out and try it on again to remind myself of how awesome it is that I can wear it now. Maintaining the habit of weighing helps because you'll see any gain early on. I've set myself a "break the glass" weight of 135 and if I get to that weight, I will cut back immediately. At one point I did get to 133 so I cut back and lost 5 pounds to get to 128. I just find it so much easier to deal with a few pounds rather than a lot. You're in good shape since you've only gained 15.

Go back to basics, get your protein, stay hydrated, try to find a physical activity you can do regularly and those pounds will be gone in no time. Hugs. 🤗

Thank you for the informative and encouraging reply! You're right, I did lose 50 pounds and can go back to what I did to to lose the first time. I've been hung up on not making it to my goal weight of 125 but that doesn't define what I can do now.

What worked after the surgery was drinking Protein Shakes for bfast and lunch, then grilled chicken with veg's for dinner. I started to drink unsweetened tea mixed with 1/4 lemonade. Though I was cutting the lemonade with Water, its still sugar and high calories. I've also been drinking a couple glasses of wine each night. It's so easy to let the old bad habits creep back!

I continue to avoid carbonated beverages but I chew sugarless gum because of dry mouth. Is sugarless gum still a no-no?

Thanks again for reaching out, it really helps!

Yes, you need the Vitamins for the rest of your life. I too had a Holiday food Party, specifically Cookies these past several days and have gained weight. Gonna stop the day after Christmas and get back on track. Luckily my sleeve WLS prepared me and provided me the tool to do it. Ashamed of myself for gaining weight but gotta get over it and get it off again.

Vitamins are good and a bit of self compassion. 140.is good - pre WLS we would have loved aBMI off 24. I do not know about gum but I lways return.to Water and Protein. Fish is my go o! Best to you.

You should be able to eat any Protein. I eat beef, lamb, pork, chicken, seafood as well as yoghurt, milk, cheese & eggs. You could try some plant based Proteins as an alternative.

Over the last fortnight I’ve been eating small slices of Christmas cake & drinking champagne. I dropped 1 or 2 Snacks a day to compensate a little (though I was low on my protein as a result ☹️) & kept to my routine with everything else. I’m completely back on track now. For me, I find comfort in routines: knowing what I can eat, how much I can eat & when I eat. It’s dependable. (Makes grocery shopping a breeze too.)

Hate to say it but it’s time to break those bad habits again. Get rid of the lemonade & the alcohol. Avoid sugars including the artificial ones as they still feed any sugar cravings. They’re all empty calories & offering no nutritional value.

Chewing gum stimulates your stomach making you think you’re hungry. Try some of the dry mouth drops available at pharmacies instead of the gum.

Start taking advantage of your tool again, remember portion size, monitor your calories, eat slowly & meet your protein & fluid goals. What was working for you to get to 140? It will work again.

Good luck.

On 12/19/2020 at 5:56 PM, Booscout said:

I've continued to take bariatric Multivitamins, do I need to continue for the rest of my life?

That depends on what surgery you had, which I don't see you have listed. With my BPD-DS I am supposed to, but I haven't been all that good about doing so and haven't had any ill effects.

I believe its suggested that bypass patients take Vitamins regularly. I didn't think it was as important for the gastric sleeve since that is not a malabsorption procedure. Did you doctor ever advise you about Vitamin supplements?

I had my surgery in Aug 2018 and lost over 100% of my excess weight, but I regained about 30 pounds from a (too low) 133 pounds in 2020. Even with that was still below 25 BMI. My fault, too many sweets and high carb processed junk food. Still have good restriction, and I've lost 10 of that 30 pounds so far in less than a month eating mostly salads with custom no-oil vinaigrettes, and lean meat and veg dinners.

My preferred Proteins have been tilapia and Premier Protein shakes.

If I get hungry between meals I'll have an apple, which fills me pretty well.

My doc wasn't too fussed about Multivitamins after VSG. Basically said as long as bloodwork remains good, there's no need. I don't have a very restricted diet, so everything seems to be coming through via food just fine. I do know that others have been advised differently be their docs - may be a case-by-case basis.

Hey SideEye. I want to chime in here. My VSG doctor also said I would have to take Vitamins the rest of my life. After about 3 years I stopped them except for my Vitamin D because all my labs were fine. I get regular physicals and I am on top of that. I just had a bone density test last year and my primary doctor said I have osteoporosis, not osteopenia, OSTEOPOROSIS! He thinks that my stopping my Calcium and other vitamins contributed to this condition. I am now on medication for this because osteoporosis increases the risk of fractures, not just if you fall down. You've probably heard about people that sneeze and fracture a rib, probably osteoporosis!

I am 5 years post VSG. I never got down to my goal weight, but the lowest I did get down to (148 lbs) was too low for me. I have gained about 23 lbs in the past year. This Monday I started the 10 day pouch reset diet. I have lost 4 lbs so far. YEAH!

I have not felt motivated or felt as if I had the will power to do what I needed to do until this past Sunday. I was reading a book for book club (nothing to do with diet or exercise), but there was a passage that just hit me. I felt like dang, this girl had so gone through so much and had so many strikes against her and she could turn her life around, I can do it too!

O.P. We know what we need to do. We've done it before. We just have to be focused, patient, and persistent. My realistic goal for myself is 1/2 to 1 lb/week and to increase my physical activity. I know with the support and encouragement of people on this forum and your desire to do better, you WILL succeed.