Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happened? Please help!!!

Before surgery I was working in a warehouse working 12hr shift with all the extra weight with no problems. Now that I've had surgery and lost 55lbs I can not do it. Last night was my first night back on a job. My feet and back were paining but that's expected because I'm getting back into standing for long periods of time. Around the 8th hour I started to get weak dizzy and my ears started ringing. I tried drinking Water and body armour lite to see if it would help but it didnt so I got sent home to avoid passing out or hurting myself or someone else. I'm not even sure if I should go back. Im so hurt, mad and frustrated that I had the surgery to have a better quality of life and now I feel weak. I've cried for hours wondering why? I had surgery September 23. Why do I still feel this way?

Sent from my SM-A102U using BariatricPal mobile app

5 minutes ago, only1m3 said:

Before surgery I was working in a warehouse working 12hr shift with all the extra weight with no problems. Now that I've had surgery and lost 55lbs I can not do it. Last night was my first night back on a job. My feet and back were paining but that's expected because I'm getting back into standing for long periods of time. Around the 8th hour I started to get weak dizzy and my ears started ringing. I tried drinking Water and body armour lite to see if it would help but it didnt so I got sent home to avoid passing out or hurting myself or someone else. I'm not even sure if I should go back. Im so hurt, mad and frustrated that I had the surgery to have a better quality of life and now I feel weak. I've cried for hours wondering why? I had surgery September 23. Why do I still feel this way?

Did you try adding in a Protein snack like nuts or something there towards the end of the shift? I would definitely reach out your dietician to see if there's some kind of snack that fits your plan that can help with the issue

You may be pushing it to hard - That first year was a b***h for me also. I had to get my self back in shape and adjust to the weight and body changes. I think your out of fuel. You need eat protien every hour to keep you fuel up also you need liquids and I mean a ton. I snack on nuts and beef Jerky almost every day to keep my engine fueled

I also keep cold shrimp in my fridge to grab throughout the day. I feel for you it was tough but I think you diet is off balance and you are low on Vitamins and Minerals

You probably need to increase your calories and carbs. This is what my dietician told me when I started working out.

Please don’t be too hard on yourself!

I had surgery 7/23, and I still have occasional moments of lightheadedness when I’m exercising. The first time it happened it was much more like you described. I definitely thought I was seconds away from fainting. I stopped walking immediately and eventually made it to a bench. It took me a while ( hour or two) to feel back to normal. I started carrying lifesavers around with me in case it was my blood sugar dropping, but I actually think the issue was my that my blood pressure meds needed to be adjusted. My PCP has reduced my blood pressure meds, and that has helped. So that bit of near-fainting weirdness wasn’t actually an indication of something terrible.

As I said, I still will occasionally get the lightheaded feeling, but I notice that feeling much sooner. It has never been as bad as it was that first time. I will either slow down (sometimes sit down), and I recover much more quickly than that first time. My PCP asked me to keep track of when it happens, record my blood pressure and in my next follow up in a couple of weeks I’m betting my blood pressure meds will be reduced again.

It sounds like you had a really long day. Maybe you needed food, maybe you needed a rest, or maybe it’s time to check in with your primary care about any meds you take. I know it’s frustrating and irritating and frightening, but you can do this!

37 minutes ago, tarotcardreader said:

Did you try adding in a Protein snack like nuts or something there towards the end of the shift? I would definitely reach out your dietician to see if there's some kind of snack that fits your plan that can help with the issue

No I havent tried Protein Snacks on the floor. We cant have food on the floor and I think that could be a problem breaks are 3 1/2 hours a part, that c

38 minutes ago, tarotcardreader said:

I eat protein snacks on break but breaks are 3 1/2 hrs a part. That could be the problem. Not eating enough on breaks because I have to eat small and slow and then working hard. I may just need to find another job

5 minutes ago, Lillimint said:

Please don’t be too hard on yourself!

I had surgery 7/23, and I still have occasional moments of lightheadedness when I’m exercising. The first time it happened it was much more like you described. I definitely thought I was seconds away from fainting. I stopped walking immediately and eventually made it to a bench. It took me a while ( hour or two) to feel back to normal. I started carrying lifesavers around with me in case it was my blood sugar dropping, but I actually think the issue was my that my blood pressure meds needed to be adjusted. My PCP has reduced my blood pressure meds, and that has helped. So that bit of near-fainting weirdness wasn’t actually an indication of something terrible.

As I said, I still will occasionally get the lightheaded feeling, but I notice that feeling much sooner. It has never been as bad as it was that first time. I will either slow down (sometimes sit down), and I recover much more quickly than that first time. My PCP asked me to keep track of when it happens, record my blood pressure and in my next follow up in a couple of weeks I’m betting my blood pressure meds will be reduced again.

It sounds like you had a really long day. Maybe you needed food, maybe you needed a rest, or maybe it’s time to check in with your primary care about any meds you take. I know it’s frustrating and irritating and frightening, but you can do this!

Thanks!!! I needed that encouragement and I'll be making an appt with my doctor

You won't be weaker, you'll be stronger. Your body is still adjusting from major surgery and your body is changing daily due to weight loss. Are you taking your Vitamins? Getting in 60-70g Protein daily? That'll help.

4 hours ago, GradyCat said:

You won't be weaker, you'll be stronger. Your body is still adjusting from major surgery and your body is changing daily due to weight loss. Are you taking your Vitamins? Getting in 60-70g Protein daily? That'll help.

Yes I'm taking my Vitamins and I get 60g of Protein from shakes. I think I'm just pushing it too hard...

On 12/18/2020 at 07:37, only1m3 said:

I think that it is very important to remember calories in vs calories out. A lot of us forget that our body is already burning calories (the muscles do that) throw in extra movement like work and you’re definitely burning more than you are consuming. I think it’s a good idea to increase the amount of Protein you are getting. I also think it’s important to maybe be on modified duties, you haven’t moved those muscles in a really long time. Even though you’ve been off work for awhile, it’s important to take it slowly. This is also just what I think, I’m not a professional, but just some input.

Have your doctor write a note - reasonable accommodation. I have one (I work on my feet with people with disabilities) - it says that due to my recent surgery I need to be able to take enough Water breaks to meet my water goals or I risk dangerous dehydration. It is for 1 yr. I was worried because of COVID and masks that I would not be able to get away to stay hydrated. You could have your doctor write something about lightheadedness- what they suggest you do and that it is a health risk. You could also apply for FMLA so that the days you fee lightheaded, you can take off and not lose your job.