Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have GERD. One surgeon suggested bypass as GERD can worsen due to increased stomach pressure with the sleeve. But, while bypass often cures GERD and often results in greater weight loss, there is major concern regarding mal-absorption and health issues with Bypass, including the pain of DUMPING SYNDROME, Can anyone speak to acid reflux and the struggle to choose between the two surgeries? The second opinion surgeon suggested I do the sleeve and can always move to bypass if acid reflux worsens....but that's another surgery...UGH. I'm nervous and confused as there are drawbacks to both options. Is gerd worse than the pain of dumping? Anyone suffer from this issue?

Edited by AJSassyPants
typo

GERD is serious. It can lead to cancerous changes in the tissues. I chose bypass because of my GERD and have not regretted it a bit. There might be a little malabsorption going on, mostly fat, but I don't think it is much. Most malabsorption starts resolving on its own as the jejunum takes on a more absorptive role. Another reason I chose bypass was BECAUSE of dumping. I wanted to have as strong of a deterrent possible to sweets. However, almost 2 years out and I have never dumped, even with sweets. From what I've read, the majority of bypass patients do NOT dump. IMHO, if you have GERD, go with bypass. I actually had Barretts esophagus from the GERD, along with a nice little, precancerous Barrett's polyp which was removed pre-op. Since surgery, the Barretts has completely resolved, which I think is pretty amazing. I'd take the risk of dumping anyday over the increased risk of cancer from unresolved GERD. I would not want to undergo a second surgery, either.

I also chose RNY b/c I had GERD. Happy to say that my GERD has been 100% gone since the day of surgery. I was shocked that it just went away like that!

I also haven't had dumping yet. I did get the "foamies" a few times in the first few months after surgery, but that's it. I actually wanted dumping as a deterrent! LOL!! I haven't gone crazy with sweets, but had a few pieces of halloween candy, a cookie here and there, etc, without any problems.

Going with both responses above with an emphatic agree! I was scared beyond belief with any of the surgeries but never even considered sleeve with my surgeon as soon as he said it had even a little chance of gerd worsening. I was stage 3 and having my esophagus widened every year with swallowing problems-with a real fear of Barret's Syndrome for real. I had tight fists of air in my chest that didn't hurt but were so scary and disturbing with a lot of breathing problems.

My surgery had some complications but minor in the long run. I am 15 weeks out now and down 100 lbs as of today! Not gonna lie-my GERD is not completely gone but my Dr said with the severity I was at, it can take a good 6 months for it to be so much better. He still has me taking meds for that but it is much better and more so day by day. Dumping syndrome is not fun but I also feel it's a benefit to learning how to eat differently for long term weight loss and control. I really feel like a new person and am ok with what I need to do and the after-effects of the bypass. It's not an easy recovery but not as bad as I thought it would be either; I still have some bruising as the complications made it more difficult the first month. Even with that, I am, without even a tiny shred of doubt. so happy I went with the bypass. Yeah, I wouldn't want to just 'gamble' with surgeries as a 'just in case'. Especially with GERD-it's a very serious thing to have.

Dumping syndrome while uncomfortable, I actually find to be a good thing. It’s a great way for your body to make sure you stay on track with your diet lol. It happens if you eat too much sugar and doesn’t typically last long when it happens. As long as you follow your doctors dumping shouldn’t be an issue