Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it last...

Every time I hit a couple day stretch, or even up to a week where I don't see any lbs lost I think "this is it... my "tool" is done, I'm not losing any more weight and this is the weight I'm going to be forever" obviously every time so far that has happened the weight loss has continued, but it did make me wonder, how long do you feel that the "tool" of surgery was effective for you? They generalize a year, but I'm wondering if that's the norm for everyone?

My impatient ways are probably heightened at the moment because I'm close to ONEderland, and I jut can't wait!!

Hi! I'm 2+ years out and my sleeve is just as effective as ever, in terms of Portion Control.

The main difference, honestly, between now and the first year-ish is that I am less militant about what I put in my mouth. I was very strict during weight loss phase, and have since loosened the reins since being in maintenance. I don't go nuts or anything, I just allow myself stuff now that I didn't before (i.e., alcohol and dessert, and the occasional processed carb).

Given that, I have still basically maintained my weight +/- 5-6 lbs for the past 1.5 years. When I go up a few lbs for a sustained period of time, I cut calories and get back down to my happy place.

My sleeve still works as it always did, its just my choices and behaviour has changed.

Edited by ms.sss

Having stalls where you lose nothing or slight daily variations are all perfectly normal during the weight loss phase. You will lose more slowly the closer you get to your goal too. But is your weight still trending down? Are your clothes getting loser? Do you have more energy?

I’m 19 months out & mine’s working fine. I still lose if I don’t keep my food intake up. My restriction is still there and I often am not interested in eating.

Three years out seems to be the point people may start to put on weight. Why, I don’t know. It could be because their will power starts to fade or they start introducing more less healthy choices into their diet or they reduce their exercise or maybe life gets in the way. Maybe it’s just where their body wants to settle. Shrug.

Your tool will always be with you. You just have to decide how you are going to use it, not just while you’re losing weight, but for the rest of your life.

Good luck. You’ll be in ONEderland before you know it.

I was told that people generally hit maintenance 18-24 months out. But then again, I had a lot more to lose as someone with a starting BMI of 60. Most people I know who had WLS usually hit maintenance around 18 months. Some a few months before and even one who kept losing until 27 months out. So really it depends on a lot of things like your starting weight, how your body is handling the weight loss and when it'll find it's 'comfort spot', and whether you're following the nutrition guidelines that you were given. Also, stalls happen and so do big ones. I've had a 23 day stall and a 27 day stall and they both stressed me the hell out (April into May and August into September) but both of them DID pass.

I'm 2 year out and the sleeve is still a tool that works for me.