Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone's A1C (blood sugar average) raise AFTER Bypass??

I am not diabetic and did not have high blood sugar before Bypass. Oddly, my A1C has risen consistently at each post op lab visit. It's now 5.6 which I'm told is "close" to pre-diabetic. I am, without a doubt, eating less sugar and carb than I did pre Bypass and as I mentioned did not have issues (that I'm aware of) before. Anyone else note their A1C raise when studying their bloodwork?

Wow. Im a diabetic thats why I'm getting bypass.

I haven’t had an a1c since August the week before my revision but when I had my revision surgery I was on 4hr blood sugar checks in the hospital because my post op level sugar level was over 200! It was confusing because I’m not diabetic and all of my a1c draws have been within normal limits.

30 minutes ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

I haven’t had an a1c since August the week before my revision but when I had my revision surgery I was on 4hr blood sugar checks in the hospital because my post op level sugar level was over 200! It was confusing because I’m not diabetic and all of my a1c draws have been within normal limits.

Oh wow my sugars are well controlled I would hate for them to go up after this surgery. Now im really thinking.

Sorry to hear, Meow2. My A1c was getting progressively higher post RNY also, my high number went around 5.6. Perplexed, as the only sugars in my diet at that point were from fruit. Nurse practitioner cited the watermelon I was juicing was very high in sugar, and on a lower fat, lower calorie, lower food volume intake would really spike my blood sugar. It was like putting pure sugar in my veins with little to slow, offset or balance it.

To test it, she had me quit watermelon and sure enough, next blood work was impressively better. Though not fun, you might try only having fruit or sugar items AFTER, and along with, a Protein (and ideally, a tad bit of fat) intake. It helps to slow the absorption of sugar, has worked for me and better than where this was heading. Good luck!💗

30 minutes ago, Chantrella said:

Oh wow my sugars are well controlled I would hate for them to go up after this surgery. Now im really thinking.

Mine was attributed to blood loss (hemoglobin went from 12.4 pre surgery to 7.0 day 3 post op) which can adversely affect how the body transports and uses glucose. When you don’t have enough hemoglobin it takes longer to transport everything and the antibiotic I was given during surgery was mixed with a 5% dextrose solution (necessary for some medicine as saline impacts delivery) so I’m sure that didn’t help either.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much and definitely don’t second guess the hard work you’re putting in now to be healthier. What happened to me doesn’t happen to everyone and I’m kind of a medical anomaly anyway.

Very odd. A few different thoughts on this. With the smaller volumes of food you are eating now, I am wondering if it could be related to the proportion of sugar vs. other nutrients. Conversely, I did Keto a few years ago and my A1C went up. My NUT said very low carb diets can increase insulin resistance and cause increases in blood sugar. It is probably a good idea to discuss with your surgeon and NUT. Please keep us posted on what they say. 💕

I was diabetic pre-WLS with a 6.5 A1C. I have only had one set of labs since surgery, at about 2.5 months and my A1C was down to 5.6. I stopped my metformin when I started my pre-op diet. I am super happy to no longer be diabetic and will be interested to see what my numbers are now.

I asked about this because I’m on an insulin pump and had the same issue after my csection, and this time they said it will probably happen again. My endo said it can be stress related to major surgery. So they don’t mind any rising at the initial few months. It usually settles back out.

3 minutes ago, RTL1234 said:

I asked about this because I’m on an insulin pump and had the same issue after my csection, and this time they said it will probably happen again. My endo said it can be stress related to major surgery. So they don’t mind any rising at the initial few months. It usually settles back out.

Are you type 1? I am type 2.

9 hours ago, Chantrella said:

Are you type 1? I am type 2.

I am type 2 also. I became insulin dependent, then my pregnancies made it so much worse and I ended up on an insulin pump. We are hoping this gets me off of it! If it doesn’t get me off insulin, then they will believe that I really am a late onset type 1. However, we don’t think this is the case, or I’m hoping not!

On 12/17/2020 at 8:06 AM, Lily66 said:

Sorry to hear, Meow2. My A1c was getting progressively higher post RNY also, my high number went around 5.6. Perplexed, as the only sugars in my diet at that point were from fruit. Nurse practitioner cited the watermelon I was juicing was very high in sugar, and on a lower fat, lower calorie, lower food volume intake would really spike my blood sugar. It was like putting pure sugar in my veins with little to slow, offset or balance it.

To test it, she had me quit watermelon and sure enough, next blood work was impressively better. Though not fun, you might try only having fruit or sugar items AFTER, and along with, a Protein (and ideally, a tad bit of fat) intake. It helps to slow the absorption of sugar, has worked for me and better than where this was heading. Good luck!💗

Hi Lily66! Good to hear from you. I suppose this makes sense. I am a little bummed by it though. I'll definitely speak to my nut and nurse practitioner about it.