Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New issues two years out

I'm not really sure that I'm asking for advice, more just griping. I'm over 2 years out from surgery. I eat healthy - pescatarian and mostly fruit/veg/protein. Almost no refined carbs (my body does not like them). I'll let myself have a small dessert on my birthday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas (knowing I wont feel great after) - something fairly low cal/sugar. Stay under 1000 cal /day (any more than that and I gain - even though I'm still teetering on an obese weight). I have two issues:

1. It seems like every month new foods do not do well with my stomach. So far: dairy, most raw veg, some cooked veg, some fruit, cocoa, Peanut Butter. New this month - apples. They just are cutting up my stomach. It makes my stomach hurt. Shouldn't this have all settled out by now? My surgeon and NUT say yes, but it doesn't for everyone. I'm basically on a very limited diet in terms of variety. I mean, its better than I was in months 4-18 of this journey where I was in extreme pain no matter what I ate and struggled to get more than 600 calories, but still not fun.

2. I'm in my early 40s. About a year after surgery, I started getting the worst hot flashes 5-10 times a day. That has tamped down, but now it seems like about 15-20 minutes after I eat, I get a hot flash. Every damn time. Could be wholly unrelated to surgery, but still irritating.

Anyway, not really looking for anything here. I'm just a person that sometimes needs to send my frustrations out into the world to start moving past them. And this seems like the place to toss out my bariatric surgery related issues. I hope all of you are well.

After I had the sleeve I would get hot flashes every time I drank coffee with Creamer. I am wondering if it is something you are eating or drinking causing it? If not that maybe you are menopausing ?

Vent away. We're here to listen.

It might be worth a scope to check that you don't have an ulcer.

I am 2 years 2 months, I used top have stomach pains with some food my doctor did a scope and found no ulcer this was about 18months out but the did prescribe prevacid fast tabs which I melted under my tongue . Since then I haven't felt anything. I do keep them on hand prescribed my family doctor just in case I need them . Also, am in my early 50s after surgery the hot flashes started never felt them so bad until after surgery. I had one period after surgery and then nothing more. Guess the surgery change my body earlier than I had expected . Hope this helps but get it check out

On 12/16/2020 at 6:48 AM, AZhiker said:

It might be worth a scope to check that you don't have an ulcer.

I second this. :1313_thumbsup_tone4: