Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking forward to...

njlimmer

I’m hoping for a bypass in March, but looking at all of the success stories, I just can’t believe that it’s really going to be possible. I thought if I wrote a list of all the things I’m looking forward to doing that it’d become more “real.” Feel free to add to it or if you’ve already experienced your own victories, please share!

1. Going to a professional game and not having to squeeze into a seat. Leaving said game without having bruises on my hips from the arms digging in.

2. Wearing fun socks. Tomorrow is Christmas sock day at work, and I never get to participate because I can’t wear tall socks because of my calves.

3. Getting a pair of tall boots - same problem as the socks!

4. Being able to put my wedding rings back on after YEARS of not wearing them.

5. Shopping in boutiques or any store in the regular section and not having to search for the women’s little corner.

6. Riding a roller coaster again.

Some of my victories:

1. Being able to wear a normal sized hospital gown when I have to have tests done or go to the ER. I used to be soooo embarrassed when I had to ask for the plus sized gown and they had to tell me they had to track some down because they didn't have many.

2. Being able to have my blood pressure taken on my upper arm again.

3. Being able to sit in a booth again when I go to a restaurant.

4. Being able fit in the back seat of the car (the seat belts wouldn't fit me in the back seat, but they do now)

5. Being able to buy clothes off the rack in a normal non-plus sized specific store.

6. Being able to fit in women's regular sizes (not plus sized anymore!)

7. Getting under 300 pounds, which I hadn't been in 15 years, made me CRY! I'm so close to being under 200 (which it's been 20 years) that I know when I hit Onderland I'm going to cry like a baby.

8. Knowing I'm not being stared at and judged for being so big. I'm in a large now and the two most common sizes where I live are large and 2xl (I work in a department store and have for 13 years, that's why I know this). I used to get stared at and had little kids loudly commenting about my weight to their parents.

9. I like that I no longer have to worry that if I plop on the couch I'm going to break it (I broke two couches, it was a valid concern and super embarrassing)

10. I love that I can move around more and not be so out of breath and I don't sweat up a storm like I used to when I would walk for more than 5 minutes.

So yes, there are a lot of wonderful things that happen when you lose that weight and so much to look forward to! Congrats on your upcoming surgery! I wish you the best!

Those are all good ones. My list included fitting in the airplane seat without the person next to me giving me "the look" and dancing without my belly shaking.

1 hour ago, OAGBPal said:

4. Doing sports with my guy friends. You know, the worst part of getting fat wasn't saying no when they asked if I wanted to go play soccer or squash: it's when they stopped asking.

I feel this one, @OAGBPal One of the reasons I'm finally going through with this is that when I grew up, we lived about 3 hrs from Cedar Point (ahem... best amusement park EVER) and my mom and I would be able to ride together. Even into her late 50s early 60s, we'd still be able to ride. I'm 47 and have NEVER ridden with my kids because I can't fit the belt, and I'm terrified of that walk of "shame." I also don't think I could climb in and out of the coaster cars to begin with. I'm only 47 and this is where I am. I feel like I've already put this off for too long, but it's not too late to make some of those memories with my kids. Plus, if I'm this way at 47, where will I be in 5, 10, 15 years? On a walker? In a wheelchair? My dad died of a heart attack at 52, and on the anniversary of his passing, is when I got the news that not only did I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, I'm now also diabetic. My girls have stopped asking to do things with me because they know I CAN'T do them. Yeah... I feel this one.

2 minutes ago, OAGBPal said:

Promise me one thing: tell me when you've been on that ride with your daughter ;) ! However long that'll take. OK?

Absolutely!! I'll be sharing from the rooftops! Good luck with your journey and thanks for the feels :) !!

10 hours ago, njlimmer said:

Feel free to add to it or if you’ve already experienced your own victories, please share!

I'm 2+ years out and have basically crossed off all the things that were on my as-soon-as-I'm-smaller bucket list, except one:

The entire fam became avid scuba divers about 6-7 years ago and it was one of the few activities that I could participate in with them that my weight and overall lack of fitness didn't hold me back from.

Anyway...i had to wear a men's XL wetsuit that ended up being way too long on my legs (I'm 5'2"), AND I had to carry 20+ lbs of weights in my vest; which is ALOT...the rest of the fam all need less than 10lbs of weights.

I can't wait to be able to wear a regular women's size wetsuit (skin tight and schexy to boot!), and triumphantly reduce the number of weights I need...which, along with my own body weight loss, would make make walking to entry soooooo much easier.

Unfortunately, Covid nixed those plans this year 😭. Eff you Covid.