Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The best compliment....

Yesterday I picked up Starbucks. While waiting on my drink, another woman was making small talk with me. She very confidently said to me: "So you play soccer?" It caught me off guard because I wasn't wearing anything indicating anything about soccer, nor had we discussed anything about sports or soccer. (I had on tennis hoes and Nike Running crop pants.) It was honestly pretty random... but later it hit me... She assumed that I was an athlete.. because I looked thin/athletic enough to look like an athlete. It's been the best compliment I've received in the 5-ish months since my surgery. So, what was your best compliment?

Edited by FindYourFire

What a great story. We all know how a random comment has the power to crush us but we forget how the right comment can be so empowering to someone’s self esteem.

I have two. The day someone said: you really are tiny aren’t you. And the day someone said: there’s plenty of room for you to sit here. I never though I’de ever hear anyone say those things to me before I lost the weight.

Ok, maybe not the best compliment, but definitely the funniest:

The first time the Kid's boyfriend (now ex) met me, I overheard him tell her "Whoa, your mom is hot". He was 15.

I was all "awwww" and "ewwww" at the same time. 😂😂😂😂

A co-worker of mine who hadn't seen me since a few months before my surgery (she was on LOA and came back when I was on LOA lol) kept staring at me when I went into work to pick something up and she looked so confused lol. I went up to her and said hello and it was nice to see her again and she was like "OMG! I thought maybe you had another sister and I just hadn't known and I didn't know what to say if I was wrong" I laughed and said that no I just had the one sister I just had lost about 150 pounds (at that time) and she told me that she'd heard I'd had weight loss surgery but she'd only been back 2 months at that time (after being on LOA for 10.5 months) and she thought maybe I'd just recently had it (this was in August) and then she proceeded to tell me how thin I looked (I was in an xl in shirts and 18 in pants at the time, I'm in 14's right now and large tops) and that was the biggest compliment to me. I mean, a lot of people tell me I look good, but being told I look thin in any way shape or form just made my day (I used to wear 6xl tops and 32 pants, to put things into perspective). She gathered a few of my other co-workers that I hadn't seen in ages and they were all gushing about my weight loss and I felt great! I have a bit of body dysmorphia and still often times see the big girl I used to be when I look in the mirror so the compliments make me realize that what I see isn't necessarily what IS.

I love when I get compliments from people that don't know the "presurgery" me. The other day a guy was hitting on me at the carwash. The conversation eventually got around to age. He guessed my age but was off by 24 yrs! I asked him how he came up with that age since I was wearing sunglasses and a mask. He said, "Well, you are so tiny and you look like you take care of yourself. You have great abs and no body fat." I said, "Maybe I just have a really good plastic surgeon!" He said, "No, you don't look like the plastic surgery type." I thought to myself, well I guess I won't tell you I just had a lower body lift and brachioplasty in August. And no, I didn't give him my number.

I was recently at a neighborhood gathering and posted a picture on social media. People commented "You look wonderful", "Absolutely gorgeous", "You look so tiny"...….

I was 5 weeks post op that day and had lost about 20 lbs. The comments were so inspiring.

Sometimes its those unexpected "wins" that give me the the greatest motivation!

Pic from Nancy.jpg

When I went to the bike store to look at bicycles, the store guy wanted me to sit on the bike to check for frame size. I was a little hesitant to get up on the bike with him holding it. He said, "Don't worry. I can hold you, you're so tiny. I've held up much bigger people than you!" Woo Hoo! Made my day. Several times at work patients have said things like, "Are you sure you can push this bed, you're so tiny." Who? ME? Wow. How did I ever push the beds AND 100+ extra pounds???!!!

And the really sad thing is that I am NOT that tiny. I'm 5'6" and at goal weight. That is actually an average weight, but I think it shows how heavy our whole society has become, that average now looks tiny.

Edited by AZhiker

You all have done an amazing job......

my best ones were being called Thin Mint as a nick name by a close friend.

My youngest son was about 24-25 and a co worker of his saw us together and asked him if i was his girlfriend, he said.... ewwww dude that's my mom, the co worker then said, wow she hot... is she single... heheheh Same son's friend asked him...now that your mom is single can i ask he out....ewwww

When my grandkids were little and they would call me nana and people would look at me and say..... I thought you were their mom

Those are some great compliments. I don't have a story like that. Nobody's really said anything to me. And I'm OLD!

52 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

Those are some great compliments. I don't have a story like that. Nobody's really said anything to me. And I'm OLD!

I’m old too!

A few weeks ago my 26 year old, size 0, step-daughter stopped by to pick something up. Her words were something “Oh my gosh, you are sooooo tiny.” I weighed about 180 at the time. 🤣

This one was pretty funny, but I took it as a compliment. My husband’s band practices at our house. I have known all of the members for at least a couple of years. The lead singer hadn’t been here in 2-3 months. Two weeks ago, I walked into the house from the gym and greeted her. She looked at me with a puzzled look on her face and asked me to remind her who I was...she was serious. 🤣🤣🤣

I haven't seen many people since my weight loss due to Covid, but my my husband's comments always warm my heart. Sometimes when we hug he'll exclaim "I keep forgetting how tiny your are." One time we were out and he hit the mens room while I waited, and when he came back out to find me he said he didn't see me at first b/c he was looking for the "old" me and forgot to to look for the "tiny" me.

I'm actually excited to go back to work someday and see my coworkers who have no idea what I look like! That will be a fun day!

22 minutes ago, ChubRub said:

I haven't seen many people since my weight loss due to Covid, but my my husband's comments always warm my heart. Sometimes when we hug he'll exclaim "I keep forgetting how tiny your are." One time we were out and he hit the mens room while I waited, and when he came back out to find me he said he didn't see me at first b/c he was looking for the "old" me and forgot to to look for the "tiny" me.

I'm actually excited to go back to work someday and see my coworkers who have no idea what I look like! That will be a fun day!

I can relate to this from both sides! Part of the reason I had surgery was because I saw my mom's success, and for a solid two years I was shocked every time I saw her because I forgot how skinny she was!!

And SAME about going back to work. My last day working in the office (pre-covid) I was about 290 lbs. I was sleeved 7/14/20, so I'm 5 months out (As of yesterday) and have lost 85lbs. Will be exciting to see reactions in the office if/when we ever go back! Especially considering I didn't share with anyone that I was having surgery, and I'm not connected with anyone from work on social media.

Edited by FindYourFire