Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Canceled

I am devastated. I went through everything and my surgery was scheduled for tomorrow (12/14) only to have my hospital call and say I’m canceled due to Covid. They said all non emergency surgeries are canceled... I did the liquid diet and invested so much money, effort and tears only to be cut off before the finish line. I really am feeling depressed...

Ugh, that's brutal. I'm so sorry. There's nothing I can say to take the sting out of the unexpected delay. You have every right to be upset. This pandemic is wreaking havoc in so many ways. But it will pass (or slow down to the point that they are doing surgeries again). You might have your surgery a few months down the road but it's a delay, not a denial. Once you pick yourself up from getting blind-sided, think about how you want to spend whatever amount of time you have to wait. You could go negative and abandon your eating plan and put on weight (please don't!) Or you could stay positive, use the extra time to get in better shape and practice good eating habits. I hope you keep your eyes on the prize and make the extra time work in your favor. Hugs. 🤗

it's happened to a lot of people on here this year. It's not over - they'll reschedule it. The only thing you're really "out" is the liquid diet, since you'll have to do it again, unfortunately. The money and effort will still go towards your (rescheduled) surgery.

My original surgery date back in May was canceled right before I stared my pre-op diet. I was devastated at the cancellation. So sorry this is happening to you (and many others too). It is even worse because you are going to get the double dose of liquid diet. At the end of it all, I did get my surgery though, and you will too.

Hang in there! 🤗

I am “out” more than just the liquid diet. There was time & money spent and arrangements with my job which also lined up with a 3 week long winter break so I wouldn’t have to take much time off.. yes it is a delay but it’s devastating nonetheless. It’s easy to talk about it like it’s nothing when it’s not affecting you.

12 minutes ago, arrington0711 said:

I am “out” more than just the liquid diet. There was time & money spent and arrangements with my job which also lined up with a 3 week long winter break so I wouldn’t have to take much time off.. yes it is a delay but it’s devastating nonetheless. It’s easy to talk about it like it’s nothing when it’s not affecting you.

oh I know it's not nothing. I was in the hospital and all prepped to go into plastic surgery (with the IV in my arm) when I was told the surgeon fell on his way to work and broke his wrist, so my surgery was cancelled. I had it three months later. And yes - I know it's devastating. But I DID eventually have it, and in retrospect, it was OK. I was out some money because I had to go to Chicago to get it (I live in Wisconsin) so I was out the money for a hotel room, but....things happen that are often beyond your control. But I eventually did get my surgery - and so will you.

I know you're disappointed, frustrated, and probably even a little bit mad. But you can do this. It will happen. COVID has changed everybody's lives and the states are each handling the surges differently with shutting down restaurants and gyms and hair salons and now elective surgeries. Mourn the delay but hang in there and stay with your diet and be ready for the rescheduling. Don't give up.

I’m so sorry!!! I’m wish I had some magic words to help the devastation you feel, but I don’t. However, I’m sending you lots of hugs and prayers. The pandemic is affecting things we would never dream of in the trickle of the mess it’s created. Take the time to let yourself be upset and pissed. You deserve it, but don’t let it derail you from your ultimate goal! Hugs!!

I'm so sorry!!!! If it were me, I think I would have been tempted to just binge on food for a while and feel sorry for myself. So don't be like me!! Stay strong, continue to eat healthy and continue to lose weight, and hope that you surgery will happen in early 2021.

Again, I'm sorry!!! I'm actually scheduled for PS next month and am fearing a cancellation due to Covid. I know that it would be less devastating than a cancelled WLS, but will still stink if it happens.

Lots of HUGS!!!

1 hour ago, arrington0711 said:

Yep. Devastating. We go to great lengths to make this work. Deductibles, max out of pocket, work, PTO, etc. I'm very sorry you are having to go through this. I would be livid.

What’s meant for you won’t escape you. I promise you that! Take your time with you’re disappointment but don’t allow what you can’t control to eat at you or change your focus. I was due to get mine when everything was shut down earlier this year. I didn’t end up getting my surgery until Nov 16th. You’re surgery was so close you should be one of the first to get rescheduled when they reopen elective surgeries.

I am sorry to hear this. I understand the feeling and you are right that many can understand but they do not know if they have not experienced the same. It sucks in the strongest words possible. I was to have mine in March and arranged with my company for time off then Covid came and it was moved to September. Take today and as much time you need to be angry, dissappointed and feel whatever you wish then speak with the practitioner and see what they can tell you and when. You cannot control Covid and the impact but you can concentrate on what you need to do next and choose to not let this jeopardize any progress or strives you have made. Again I am sorry that this occurred to you

I too had mine canceled- pre-COVID. My blood pressure spiked to scary levels and they wouldn't do it. But I got my bp under control and re-scheduled. I was pissed and out of pocket $$ too. But I did get the surgery and you will too. Be angry, sad, feel all the feelings. But don't give up!

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

When they cancelled my surgery (it was scheduled for July) I called and asked if there were any other options, which is how I ended up "out patient" at the Hampton Inn! (I had surgery in a surgery center, they just couldn't do it in the hospital). I was one week into my liquid diet and at first I was devastated, but then I got determined and called and spoke with the office staff and said I was willing to do it wherever he was going to be performing surgery, if he was. I also wanted to make sure that I would be scheduled immediately if anything became available. And I ate Pasta and mexican food over the weekend and on Monday , they called and said they could get me in on Thursday! A day earlier than my original surgery date. I confessed about eating and they said "Just be good until Thursday, and I was and I got it done. Good luck...2020 is a crazy year. I hope you get a surgery date soon!

This happened to me. I was scheduled for April. It was put on hold with no new date. They called in June and I had it done 10 days later. I had to scramble at the last minute to do the pre-op diet and make arrangements etc.