Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

47 minutes ago, Hopefulin2021 said:

Wow awesome! This is giving me hope that it won’t take forever for an approval

The worst of it is getting through all of the surgeons pre op stuff. Important stuff though. If your BMI is over 40 or 35 with weight related issues, you should have no problem.

I have BCBS and am in Jersey and I have to do psych, endoscopy, ultrasound & primary dr referral and insurance requirements were three months nutrition visits (1a month) then it was approved in a few days. I did get postponed due to COVID for two month but as soon as they opened up elective surgery I had it in about three weeks later. Very easy with BCBS.

18 minutes ago, IWantTheDream said:

I have BCBS and am in Jersey and I have to do psych, endoscopy, ultrasound & primary dr referral and insurance requirements were three months nutrition visits (1a month) then it was approved in a few days. I did get postponed due to COVID for two month but as soon as they opened up elective surgery I had it in about three weeks later. Very easy with BCBS.

Awesome! This gives me a ton of hope and congrats!

BCBS Tennessee required 6 months of PCP visits/supervised wt loss program.

Wow that’s great, when is your surgery?

I have BCBS and I was required to do 6 months nutritional appointments. After my 5th, my surgeon told me they changed their required classes to zero. I didn’t have to do my 6th one and had surgery 11/17. I’d ask your surgeon to look into this. I’m unsure is it’s a CA thing or across all states. Very easy getting approval. I think I waited less then a week for approval.

1 hour ago, Luna805 said:

I have BCBS and I was required to do 6 months nutritional appointments. After my 5th, my surgeon told me they changed their required classes to zero. I didn’t have to do my 6th one and had surgery 11/17. I’d ask your surgeon to look into this. I’m unsure is it’s a CA thing or across all states. Very easy getting approval. I think I waited less then a week for approval.

Same thing that happened to me.... A day before my 6th appointment, they called me and told me they were turning in my paperwork because my insurance changed the 6 month policy lol... I got the call with approval a week later and was given a surgery date that day.

BCBS of IL, Letter to insurance describing previous weight loss attempts, nutritional classes (2 I think), psych eval and then submitted to insurance. Total time about 2 months until scheduled surgery with approval.

They wouldnt approve me bc my job underwrote it out of the policy ;(

9 hours ago, stridesforabetterme2020 said:

What?? What do you mean??

Just now, Hopefulin2021 said:

What?? What do you mean??

So you went through all the tests, nutritional classes, psych eval, and all that and they denied you? Didn’t the hospital check to make sure this is something your insurance would cover pending you did everything required?

On 12/12/2020 at 5:46 PM, Luna805 said:

Yes I only have to do 5 nutritional classes tomorrow is my last one and they’ll submit everything, hoping I get approved omg

On 12/12/2020 at 7:53 AM, Hopefulin2021 said:

Wow it only took a month? I had to have test, bloodwork, a psych eval, and 6 nutritional classes. I finished everything and I have one more class left on Monday. I am hoping it won’t take forever and a day to get approved I am so ready for this. Did you get the surgery?

I have them I started my journey October 1st 2020. I originally need 6 visits, psych evaluation, 1 dietitian visit, bloodwork, and medical clearance, but a week after my first visit it went down to three visits because I am a diabetic. I completed all my requirements before my last visit on 12/10 now it’s just the waiting game.

14 hours ago, stridesforabetterme2020 said:

Wow, did they not call and verify if you had bariatric surgery in your policy before speaking with you?

On 12/13/2020 at 11:13 PM, Chantrella said:

I have them I started my journey October 1st 2020. I originally need 6 visits, psych evaluation, 1 dietitian visit, bloodwork, and medical clearance, but a week after my first visit it went down to three visits because I am a diabetic. I completed all my requirements before my last visit on 12/10 now it’s just the waiting game.

Yes I just finished my last class and everything is done. Wondering if I should call and see what’s next or just wait and see what happens.