Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Had DS - feel no different.

Hi I have had DS REVISION surgery.

I had a SADI which failed and i found i could literally eat whatever i want without any symptoms and weight rocketed. I visited my surgeon who understands that if all it took was a change of diet nobody would need WLS.

I explained to him that I need something which, if i ate the wrong foods (either accidentally or by being gutty), something would give me a kick up the jacksy and remind me not to do it again.

So he recommended the DS and advised, should I "test the waters" i will be on the loo within 30 mins and this will happen every time i do. Obviously im not planning to be naughty, but I was told the same thing with the SADI and that failed and before long I was back on the Mars Bars and KFC.

I don't want that with the DS but i also need to know it's worked.

I had the DS on Monday.

As the operation didn't physically touch or reduce the size of the stomach, i am only on a weeks puree food before being allowed normal stuff slowly introduced, but don't have to follow the 6 stage plan.

However nothing i have tried so far has given even the slightest twinge and bowel movements have been been exactly the same as before the op (although the chalky green stuff is coming out now), but it's no more frequent and is actually more solid than before.

I am aware it's only ben a few days and it's probably much too early for this post, but just wondering if anyone else has had revision surgery and has had no effects from the DS.

C.

DS is definitely the strongest weight loss surgery, and most people who've had it can eventually eat more than those of us who've had RNY or VSG, but still, you can eat around any surgery. And you're right, very few people (fewer than 5%) can lose massive amounts of weight (and keep it off) without the benefit of surgery. But even WITH surgery, you still have to do your part and follow your surgeon's eating plan. I think of surgery more as a very strong tail wind - if you put in the work, it'll give you a huge boost and get you to where you want to go....and it'll be easier to maintain your loss than if you didn't have the surgery.

I know very few people who've had DS (it's not a particularly common surgery), but most of them have bathroom issues when they eat too many carbs. And I'm not sure if that happens to everyone who's had it.

7 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I know very few people who've had DS (it's not a particularly common surgery), but most of them have bathroom issues when they eat too many carbs. And I'm not sure if that happens to everyone who's had it.

There's also a lot of talk about how carbohydrate rich foods can make them gain as well because malabsorption of fat does occur but not of carbohydrates. I don't know how valid that statement is though.

While sometimes you can also see some "bragging" about how much DS patients can eat and still be thin (though what's defined as "thin" kind of seems to lie in the eye of the beholder anyway) there is also talk about that intake still needs to be watched.

So with the DS it seems to be like with any other WLS: it affects different people differently.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by test the waters?

If you mean by eating a piece of fried chicken, I don’t think you can safely assume you will have a massive reaction to deter you. I guess it is possible but I would not count on it.

33 minutes ago, Circlesis said:

Can you be more specific about what you mean by test the waters?

If you mean by eating a piece of fried chicken, I don’t think you can safely assume you will have a massive reaction to deter you. I guess it is possible but I would not count on it.

Yeah this is exactly what i meant. My surgeon said to me that "if you eat the wrong food after the DS, you will end up on the toilet pretty quick".

I appreciate that dietary changes are of paramount importance, but don't see the relevance of having an op which is supposed to aid weight loss when if you go overboard, nothing will actually happen.

Im not being negative, please please don't think i am. Im more confused and just trying to play devils advocate here a little.

I just don't see the point of putting yourself through surgery if, when once you'd had it, you feel like throwing MacDonalds down your neck, you will suffer no ill effects. If that's the case why not just force yourself to maintain an healthy diet without surgery. Im aware that people will say "well if you can do that, then yeah" but if you're gonna fall off the wagon in any way, i personally would like to know this op will give me a kick up the a** and say "don't do that again buddy"

Which is what it was sold to me as it would.

1 hour ago, CarlLondon said:

I just don't see the point of putting yourself through surgery if, when once you'd had it, you feel like throwing MacDonalds down your neck, you will suffer no ill effects.

Instead of throwing six burgers, a grande milkshake and two large fries down your neck you're done after maybe two burgers now.

If you want to binge on pizza instead of stuffing yourself with two, surgery cares for you by only being able to eat one half of a pizza, slashing the calorie count of your binge to 1/4 of what it'd usually be.

Surgery works. It protects you from going overboard with portion size when you feel like gorging yourself on binge food.

If that's the case why not just force yourself to maintain an healthy diet without surgery.

If that would be possible almost nobody would be overweight.

On 12/13/2020 at 07:33, CarlLondon said:

Yeah this is exactly what i meant. My surgeon said to me that "if you eat the wrong food after the DS, you will end up on the toilet pretty quick".

I appreciate that dietary changes are of paramount importance, but don't see the relevance of having an op which is supposed to aid weight loss when if you go overboard, nothing will actually happen.

Im not being negative, please please don't think i am. Im more confused and just trying to play devils advocate here a little.

I just don't see the point of putting yourself through surgery if, when once you'd had it, you feel like throwing MacDonalds down your neck, you will suffer no ill effects. If that's the case why not just force yourself to maintain an healthy diet without surgery. Im aware that people will say "well if you can do that, then yeah" but if you're gonna fall off the wagon in any way, i personally would like to know this op will give me a kick up the a** and say "don't do that again buddy"

Which is what it was sold to me as it would.

In my experience, that has not been the case. I have had the sleeve, and was later revised to DS. There is no food that puts me on the toilet immediately. I do get gas more frequently but that’s about it.

Sometimes these surgeons oversell.

3 hours ago, summerset said:

Instead of throwing six burgers, a grande milkshake and two large fries down your neck you're done after maybe two burgers now.

The issue for me is, I have had sleeve surgery 10 years ago. Which worked but weight came back on. So then I had a SADI, which failed completely and even gained weight.

So the DS which I had last week hasn't caused any additional restriction with eating, because the stomach reducing part was done years ago.

It wasnt the amount of food i wanted the DS for, it was the type. What I was looking for was: Eat healthy you'll be fine. Eat crap, you'll know about it, cos your ass will fall out" LOL.

My surgeon told me a story about a woman patient who went back to him stating "This DS youve given me, it's ruined my life.... i can't get off the toilet, all I eat is Jacket Potato", so my surgeon scratched his head wondering what could be the issue, until he discovered that she was smothering the Jacket Potato with lashings of butter.

This is what I wanted to happen. If i eat the wrong thing (not the amount) I wanted to end up on the toilet, so i know it's best not to.

But at the moment (although I haven't really eaten anything too naughty since the DS), i've not had a single twinge. Literally ZERO ZERO difference.

😞

5 minutes ago, Circlesis said:

In my experience, that has not been the case. I have had the sleeve, and was later revised to DS. There is no food that puts me on the toilet immediately. I do get gas more frequently but that’s about it.

Sometimes these surgeons oversell.

Why was you revised if you don't mind me asking. How, if you've had the stomach reducing part is the DS going to hel you lose weight? This could be the answer im looking for LOL

By reducing the calories absorbed from food. I revised because I had some regain 6 years after sleeve.

By the way, butter is not going to hurt you with DS because most of the fat you eat will not be absorbed. In fact, you want to eat some because otherwise things will be way too dry.

Were you able to do much research on the DS separately from talking to the doctor? It is important to understand exactly how it works.

3 minutes ago, Circlesis said:

By reducing the calories absorbed from food. I revised because I had some regain 6 years after sleeve.

By the way, butter is not going to hurt you with DS because most of the fat you eat will not be absorbed. In fact, you want to eat some because otherwise things will be way too dry.

Were you able to do much research on the DS separately from talking to the doctor? It is important to understand exactly how it works.

To be honest no i wasnt. From the time I was offered the op to the time I had it was three weeks. 😞

I was just told, "ok so sometimes you eat what you shouldn't? This is the op you need because then you wont be able to"

Edited by CarlLondon

4 hours ago, CarlLondon said:

but don't see the relevance of having an op which is supposed to aid weight loss when if you go overboard, nothing will actually happen.

Not sure if this will help you, but maybe a slight change in perspective may aid in the understanding?

The above bolded statement is not exactly true. If you go overboard, the thing that happens is that you will not lose weight, OR gain weight and keep it on (and all the mental and physical issues that go with it). That is the consequence.

Not everyone gets immediate physical feedback from their surgeries. It's unfortunate that your doc told you different, and that it wasn't more researched on both your parts.

I know it's easier said but perhaps its time to start looking seriously into other ways to address the binge eating? When you are ready, just ask away.

Good Luck ❤️

1 minute ago, ms.sss said:

The above bolded statement is not exactly true. If you go overboard, the thing that happens is that you will not lose weight, OR gain weight and keep it on (and all the mental and physical issues that go with it). That is the consequence.

Thank you so much for the reply. I know I need to change the way i control the urges to binge on junk, and Im trying my best 🙂

My mind set re your comment would be "isn't that just a diet then"? How is the DS helping?

C.

5 minutes ago, CarlLondon said:

This is yesterdays food. What would I be doing wrong DS wise? too many carbs? too much fat? Not enough Protien? All of the above?

Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 18.28.50.png

I'm not a DS'er, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but from what I understand, carbs are more of an issue for DS'ers than fat is, since fats are malabsorbed.