Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone so I had the lapband years ago I don’t remember the year to be honest but I want to say at least 9 years I never really lost much weight and it always gave me problem to this day I sometimes choke on Water so I want to do a revision my doctor recommends to do bypass so I guess I want to hear from people who have had a revision from lapband to bypass

Hi. Had a useless band removed in august 2020 and the sleeve done nov 9. Best decision ever! I had my band at least 12 years and was the same size beginning and end. And like you choke on Water. I would only consider the sleeve but I was 40 BMI and 230 lbs. not sure about you or if that makes a difference in the type of surgery.

Thank u for replying sadly my BMI is extremely high that’s why they recommend the bypass they suggest to keep the band in so down the line I use use it to give me a extra push I don’t think they understand that when something gets stuck it literally feels like a knife is slicing me from the inside

Wow that’s odd. I would think that the sticking and pain could some day become erosion so I would opt to have it taken out before hand. But I’m not the Dr. maybe a second opinion would be good. Best of luck!

a lot of people have had revisions from band to either bypass or sleeve. They're both good surgeries and I think you'll find people who are very happy with both! And either is supposedly WAY better than the band!!

I had my band removed in January and a bypass in November. I was having trouble with my band that I had in for 12 years. I maintained about a 50lb loss up until that point and would have been happy to stay that weight but the minute they removed all Fluid from my band I started gaining. I gained 40 of my 50 lbs back before I had bypass. They recommended bypass instead of sleeve because I had Acid reflux and the sleeve can cause that to get worse. I would definitely get a second opinion about leaving the band in. Whatever you choose just follow your plan and I am sure you will do great!

On 12/11/2020 at 11:59, PollyAnna3483 said:

I had my band removed in January and a bypass in November. I was having trouble with my band that I had in for 12 years. I maintained about a 50lb loss up until that point and would have been happy to stay that weight but the minute they removed all Fluid from my band I started gaining. I gained 40 of my 50 lbs back before I had bypass. They recommended bypass instead of sleeve because I had Acid reflux and the sleeve can cause that to get worse. I would definitely get a second opinion about leaving the band in. Whatever you choose just follow your plan and I am sure you will do great!

Thank u for responding how are you feeling today also how is your progress I’m excited and nervous I’m looking at surgeon February

5 hours ago, emma6588 said:

Thank u for responding how are you feeling today also how is your progress I’m excited and nervous I’m looking at surgeon February

I feel great. I am 5 weeks out and other than trying to follow all the guidelines regarding Protein, fluids and Vitamins, I wouldn’t know I had anything done. The most important thing my dr has stressed is to get your Fluid. I have done this and had no issues with anything I have eaten so far. I am really missing being able to have a glass of wine in the evenings but i know if I want to be successful I have to stay away from it! I am currently down 15 lbs from surgery day. I was very nervous before surgery and probably a little scared if I am honest but I am very glad I went thru with it and am on the way to a healthier me! Good luck! Keep in touch as you move forward. Would love to hear how you’re doing.

I’m doing lap band to GB on dec. 17. I got my band in 2008 and it slipped in 2016. I originally got down to 190 with the band and up to 255 after it slipped. I had my bad refilled but it never worked the way it originally did and I was soooo hungry all the time, but eating was painful. My original surgeon’s PA whom I normally saw refused to talk about revisions. He said since I was so successful with the band that I could make it work again. Fast forward three years where I’ve gained 50 pounds and spent over $5k on medical weight loss diets, etc. I pleaded for help one more time and a different surgeon in the office agreed to help. I originally wanted the sleeve, but my (new) surgeon said she would only do GB after removing a lap band because of safety issues regarding scar tissue from the original surgery. She said if I got the sleeve she would have to staple through the scar tissue and it could cause leaking. I trust her judgment so I decided with GB. I too was having problem with pain while eating and I had acid reflux issues at night. I had my surgeon take the fill out of my band and feel 100% better, and oh so hungry. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!!

Edited by Katiebal_Lecter
Spelling

On 12/13/2020 at 3:03 PM, Katiebal_Lecter said:

I’m doing lap band to GB on dec. 17. I got my band in 2008 and it slipped in 2016. I originally got down to 190 with the band and up to 255 after it slipped. I had my bad refilled but it never worked the way it originally did and I was soooo hungry all the time, but eating was painful. My original surgeon’s PA whom I normally saw refused to talk about revisions. He said since I was so successful with the band that I could make it work again. Fast forward three years where I’ve gained 50 pounds and spent over $5k on medical weight loss diets, etc. I pleaded for help one more time and a different surgeon in the office agreed to help. I originally wanted the sleeve, but my (new) surgeon said she would only do GB after removing a lap band because of safety issues regarding scar tissue from the original surgery. She said if I got the sleeve she would have to staple through the scar tissue and it could cause leaking. I trust her judgment so I decided with GB. I too was having problem with pain while eating and I had acid reflux issues at night. I had my surgeon take the fill out of my band and feel 100% better, and oh so hungry. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!!

I had lapband in 2007 and did well. Went from a high of 258 to 170. It slipped in 2016 and was removed. Of course, the weight has all come back and I tried Qsymia, Contrave, Saxenda, Noom, WW (again!). I wanted to have a revision to the sleeve, but due to issues with GERD in band to sleeve revisions, and usually less successful weight loss, my surgeone said I should have the bypass instead. Unfortunately, a decent sized hernia was discovered during a pre-op endoscopy, and she says the risk rate for serious complications is now 20% due to scar tissue that will surely be there. And even if I don't initially have issues, they are likely down the road.

Surgery is scheduled a week from today, and I just don't know what to do. I don't want serious complications, but I also want to be healthy and cannot lose the weight on my own.

Would love to hear from you Katiebal_Lecter, or anyone else who had revision with a hernia.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LM-G820 using BariatricPal mobile app

Edited by NimbleBean2

I did end up having the lap band revision to gastric bypass (again, the choice of my surgeon for safety reasons). The scar tissue wasn’t so bad that I couldn’t get the surgery and I have had no complications at all.

I think I’ve been losing more slowly because, with the previous lap band, my body was used to a lower calorie intake.

obviously every body is different and you can’t fully predict what kinds of complications, if any, could happen. I’d recommend having a serious convo with your surgeon and trust them/their competency and expertise.