Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone for Jan/ Feb 2021

On 12/27/2020 at 9:39 PM, DandyJo said:

My surgery date was just set to happen on Jan 21, 2021. I start my pre surgery diet on Jan 7th. I feel like I was excited to have the surgery but since they scheduled it I feel scared. Still excited but scared now.

I am getting 1 last holiday season in with normal foods.....I doubt that's a good thing but it sure has tasted good 🙂 lol!!!!

Congrats on your scheduled surgery date and good luck on your WLS journey.

On 12/27/2020 at 12:32 AM, SoulGardener said:

I am frightened because of my age - 65 - & dr wants me doing 60 minutes of cardio daily before surgery. I am 65 and have severe degeneration in spine, fibromyalgia, nerve damage. I can do 35 min so far but then I get injured — for days I cannot walk. I just hope I am making a good decision.

It's never too late. You can do chair exercises for cardio that don't involve ambulation/walking. Congrats on your scheduled surgery date and good luck on your WLS journey.

On 12/1/2020 at 4:37 PM, Neensyb said:

Hello

I have been confirmed for 4th January and I am also nervous. I met a lady last night at my husbands work party and she had it done in May this year. I am feeling so much better about it all now!

I've just joined up to this group to look at questions and answers online. 🙂

J

Congrats on your scheduled surgery date and good luck on your WLS journey. Keep us updated on your progress.

On 12/9/2020 at 7:11 PM, Spitfireash said:

So I am super excited and also super nervous. My surgery is scheduled for Jan 19th. I have a pre-op appointment on Jan 5th when I have to start the liquid only diet.

Do any of you have any suggestions for good liquids that will allow me to get my Proteins in and not get sick of just having liquids all the time? I am doing about 64 oz Water a day daily right now. It's the food part that is scaring me the most. I looked up some of the liquid meals available on various sites as well and boy are they expensive. I'm wondering if there are some people on here that might have some good home made recipes for us to try.

Congrats on your scheduled surgery date and good luck on your WLS journey. Keep us updated on your progress.

On 12/9/2020 at 11:34 PM, Anita.Perez said:

Hi Everyone! I just confirmed my date for January 7th.

I too am excited and nervous, but super ready for the next chapter.

I have been heavy my entire life and I am over it!

Good luck everyone.

I have to start my pre-op diet on Jan 7th and take a covid-19 test on Jan 15th, 6 days prior to my surgery on Jan 21st.

It would definitely not be cool if I have to re do the pre-op diet all over again!

Get well soon Jaye W!!! Good luck!

My bypass is TOMORROW...and I'm petrified!

Happy new year to everyone. Let 2021 will be the year of good health and lots of weight loss. 🙂

surgery date is 1/18, start pre-op diet on Monday, 1/4...very nervous about the diet. Have been having a food funeral this past week...lol..worried that I will be very hangry during the next two weeks. I am a nurse and work in a very busy surgical unit. Worried that I will be so hungry!! Dietitian said first 3-4 days will suck..Ready to get this party started and get to a new thinner and healthier me!! Good luck everyone with their upcoming surgeries!!

My surgery is scheduled for 1/14!
Starting my pre-op 2 week diet today.
I’m not sure how I feel. I’m excited but nervous. I am hoping the next 2 weeks are not super miserable 🤪 but I’m reminding myself it will all be worth it!

I have had the surgery about 6 hours ago now...feeling weak and in pain...woke up very nauseus and pain...not as nauseus now but a lot of pain in my stomach. Struggling to drink Water, can only drink ridiculously small sips without hurting my stomach. Staff are taking care of me though. Hospital bed so uncomfortable! Wll that's me done, best of luck to everyone with upcoming surgeries this month.

I have had the surgery about 6 hours ago now...feeling weak and in pain...woke up very nauseus and pain...not as nauseus now but a lot of pain in my stomach. Struggling to drink Water, can only drink ridiculously small sips without hurting my stomach. Staff are taking care of me though. Hospital bed so uncomfortable! Wll that's me done, best of luck to everyone with upcoming surgeries this month.

This is what I posted in the post op section.

I have to say, being day 3 after surgery I have asked myself a number of times what the hell have I done....then I have moments of comfort which removes all concern.
It took me nearly 12 hours to come out of the anaesthetic properly, and I had the awful sweats and nausea, but no vomiting. I remember only the Ice packs put behind my shoulders and the cold towel on my head.....ooh it felt so good. The nurses were just smashing and I'm going to send a thank you hard to them at the ward. I came home the day after surgery.
I've had two bad nights, but last night felt so much better and slept 8 hours straight. I am already 4kgs down since surgery so that gives me hope.
My first night home I was worried about my intake of Fluid. I struggled to consume even one cup of liquid a day. Yesterday I got through an entire Optifast shake, one cup of warm coffee, and about 500ml of Powerade zero.
What has worked for me through trial and error (haha that auto corrected to "terror")
1. Don't drink laying down. Try and sit upright as possible, it reduces the chance of pain.
2. Small sips mean exactly that. Wet the inside of your mouth, and don't do more than two at a time.
3. Room temperature liquid gives me less issues
4. Make a shake in the morning and aim to complete by midday. Same for the afternoon
5. Keep on top of standard pain relief. Here in Australia we have panadol which is safe for bariatric patients. I tried dissolvable ones but the contain effervescent bubbles... not a great outcome
6. When pain is felt, stand up tall, take s deep breath through the nose and slowly out through the mouth. At most it has been two breaths and the pain is gone
7. A cool shower, clean hair, clean jammies and clean sheets make everything feel better [emoji16]
8. My headaches are likely to be caused by coffee withdrawl. I added 1tsp instant (powdered) coffee to a choc or vanilla shake. Voila!! Headache gone
Just my thoughts, and hope some of these ideas can help others just having had surgery.
Day 1 I was 7/10 discomfort, and full of unfounded regrets.
Today, day 3, 1/10 discomfort, totally happy with my decision to have taken this route.
How are you all doing?

Sent from my SM-G950F using BariatricPal mobile app

16 hours ago, Neensyb said:

I have to say, being day 3 after surgery I have asked myself a number of times what the hell have I done....then I have moments of comfort which removes all concern.
It took me nearly 12 hours to come out of the anaesthetic properly, and I had the awful sweats and nausea, but no vomiting. I remember only the Ice packs put behind my shoulders and the cold towel on my head.....ooh it felt so good. The nurses were just smashing and I'm going to send a thank you hard to them at the ward. I came home the day after surgery.
I've had two bad nights, but last night felt so much better and slept 8 hours straight. I am already 4kgs down since surgery so that gives me hope.
My first night home I was worried about my intake of Fluid. I struggled to consume even one cup of liquid a day. Yesterday I got through an entire Optifast shake, one cup of warm coffee, and about 500ml of Powerade zero.
What has worked for me through trial and error (haha that auto corrected to "terror")
1. Don't drink laying down. Try and sit upright as possible, it reduces the chance of pain.
2. Small sips mean exactly that. Wet the inside of your mouth, and don't do more than two at a time.
4. Make a shake in the morning and aim to complete by midday. Same for the afternoon
5. Keep on top of standard pain relief. Here in Australia we have panadol which is safe for bariatric patients. I tried dissolvable ones but the contain effervescent bubbles... not a great outcome
6. When pain is felt, stand up tall, take s deep breath through the nose and slowly out through the mouth. At most it has been two breaths and the pain is gone
7. A cool shower, clean hair, clean jammies and clean sheets make everything feel better
8. My headaches are likely to be caused by coffee withdrawl. I added 1tsp instant (powdered) coffee to a choc or vanilla shake. Voila!! Headache gone
Just my thoughts, and hope some of these ideas can help others just having had surgery.
Today, day 3, 1/10 discomfort, totally happy with my decision to have taken this route.
How are you all doing?

Those are all good tips! Glad you are doing well so soon post op. The shoulder pains were honestly the most difficult thing to deal with for me, however I'm grateful they only lasted badly for 2 days. I'm 5 days post op and doing better. I manage 1.5L Water, 1 Protein Shake and 1/2 bowl thin Soup each day now. My stomach is still very tender and getting comfy in bed is difficult at night. But on the whole I am feeling fine.

Haha I totally get those feelings you mentioned of regret on the first day. We just feel so bad at first there's a whole load of it! I'm not weighing myself until 6 weeks post op so unsure how much is gone so far. 4kgs is great so soon! I feel like a bloated whale still.

Those are all good tips! Glad you are doing well so soon post op. The shoulder pains were honestly the most difficult thing to deal with for me, however I'm grateful they only lasted badly for 2 days. I'm 5 days post op and doing better. I manage 1.5L Water, 1 Protein Shake and 1/2 bowl thin Soup each day now. My stomach is still very tender and getting comfy in bed is difficult at night. But on the whole I am feeling fine.
Haha I totally get those feelings you mentioned of regret on the first day. We just feel so bad at first there's a whole load of it! I'm not weighing myself until 6 weeks post op so unsure how much is gone so far. 4kgs is great so soon! I feel like a bloated whale still.
Wow good intake! Today I am aiming for 2 shakes and a litre of Water (including mandarin Protein powder).

Go us!!

By the way, bloated whale is the new look you know... I'm feeling ya!

On 1/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, Neensyb said:

7. A cool shower, clean hair, clean jammies and clean sheets make everything feel better
How are you all doing?

I love this. Thank you so much for sharing. I was wondering about pain meds too. I've been thinking maybe children's liquid tylenol? The tips you have shared are really good and I certainly am grateful to those of you that do share with us. I am scheduled for the 19th. Started my liquid diet today. I love your tip about the coffee, that's going to be really handy for me.