Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Withdrawal symptoms from antidepressants 6 weeks PO

Prior to surgery my anxiety and depression were very well controlled by Zoloft and Lamictal. I was doing great until about a week ago when I started experiencing withdrawal type symptoms like dizziness, visual issues, and anxiety. I have been reading articles about bioavailability of meds post RNY. I’m 6 wks post op from revision to RNY. My doc wants me to try liquid Zoloft. Anybody have any experience with this? I’m scared and frustrated I was not warned of this possibly happening after surgery.

Edited by ScrubRN

Any time you tinker with digestion, it can affect how meds are absorbed (especially with the bypass or duodenal switch). Your bariatric team should have reviewed your meds to identify possible issues prior to surgery. Hopefully they will get it figured out quickly for you.

My team did a good job of reviewing my meds and discussing the likely affect of my WLS but I still ran into trouble with the blood thinner I was taking (Xarelto). My hematologist tried to switch me to another med since the Xarelto requires a lot of food to be bioavailable but my insurance refused to cover it. So wouldn't you know it, I got a blood clot six months after surgery. Now I take injectable Lovenox because there's no requirement to have food with it. The Lovenox is more expensive than the drug my insurance refused to cover, plus they had to pay for my hospital stay when I had the clot. Go figure, right?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches