Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hard to lose 9 lbs by December 16tj

I lost 15 pounds on the two week pre-op diet so you could always go on that early... If I remember correctly the diet was 6-8oz of Protein a day (meat or dairy), 1 yogurt a day, 1/2 cup of fruit a day, 2 healthy fats a day (such as 1/4 avocado or 1/4 cup of nuts), and all the veggies you want. I tended to live off of a Veggie Soup most of the time.

It can be done.

I was able lose 11.8 lbs during the 2 week pre-op diet, doing 2-3 shakes a day. It was a little challenging the first 3 days or so (in terms of wanting to eat something), but after that I got used to it, and it was much easier.

You have about 3 weeks until the 16th, so you don't have to go as drastic.

Did your team say what would happen if you don't lose the 9 lbs? (not that you can't, of course)

Eat a lot more veggies. Try to eat a big salad (watch out for the dressing) or a bowl of vegetable Soup before meals. This greatly reduces overall caloric intake. Studies also show that eating an apple before a meal reduces overall calories. I lost 15 pounds on the 2 week pre-op diet. It is not out of reason to think that you can lose 9 more pounds in 3 weeks.

Juicing will absolutely make you more hungry because you are getting all the calories and sugar from the food, but none of the Fiber. One rule of thumb is to never "drink your calories." It's just too easy to get way too much, and the juice is not very satisfying since it lacks fiber. Fiber fills you up, slows down your eating, and slows down the digestion of the food instead of just dumping it all in at once. Eat the WHOLE food - the whole apple and carrot, not just the juice. Think about the volume of juice you get from an apple, a carrot, a cucumber, and 1 cup of spinach. You could swallow that right down with no problem, I'm guessing. But how would you feel about eating the whole apple, whole carrot, whole cucumber, and the cup of raw spinach? Pretty full, right? That's the difference fiber makes. Do you know that fiber is what your gut biome thrives on, and that very very few people even get close to the 30 gms of daily fiber that is recommended? In short, CHEW your calories, don't drink them. :)

Protein Shakes will get you the Protein you need and keep you full. Add in a few veggies or cheese slices throughout the day.

Not sure if this is helpful but here it goes, i have been doing a Protein Shake in the morning, a high Protein low cal Soup at lunch and a lean cuisine at night with a side salad i also have a yogurt for snack and i have lost 21 pounds in a month

I lost 20+ pounds on the pre-op liquid diet. As everyone above said, focus on protein (60-80 g every day) and zero/low-calorie natural liquids (water, tea, broth, strained Soup, etc.). Use an app like Baritastic to log everything you ingest, and try to stay below 1,000 calories a day.

Juicing is no good, as a cup of juice can have 100+ calories and 10-20 grams of sugar. Multiply that by the number of cups of juice you drink in a day, and voila! stubborn pounds...

On 11/26/2020 at 14:27, blackgirlmagicrnybypass said:

My surgeon wants me to lose 9 more pounds by the 16th. My fiancé suggested that I continue juicing to lose the pounds, but all juicing does is make me hungrier. Any suggestions on how I can get down those 9 pounds?

Have you tried eating celery, it’s got mega crunch and is tasty! One stalk goes a long way. I wanted to let you know how I am feeling, very much the same as you, I feel starved sometimes. But if I tune into my body, I’m not really hungry, I just miss chewing. Important to drink all your shakes, I am supposed to have 4 of them a day, I usually make them with Decaf coffee and make them huge so they fill me.