Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing the 15 lbs...

My insurance didn't have a weight loss requirement. I did have 6 months of monitored weigh-ins but I was just told not to gain weight in that time. I ended up losing 68 pounds though. I did an elimination diet where the first month I cut down my portion sizes and didn't go back for seconds, the second month I cut out soda, third month I cut out rice, fourth month I cut out Pasta, fifth month I cut out bread, and sixth month I cut out potatoes and Beans. As for exercise, I have two back injuries so what I could do was really limited. I just walked 3-4x a week 10-30 minutes. It worked for me. Plus, it made it easier for me not to cheat and I was better able to prepare myself for how I would be eating after the surgery.

Edited by NovaLuna

I didn't have a weight loss requirement pre-op, but I know from the pre-op diet and post-op eating program that you need to focus on Protein 60g or more per day, 64+ ounces of Water per day, restrict carbs (pasta, rice, bread), and ensure that any Fats you are getting are the healthy kind.

I lost 70 pounds before surgery just by doing two things: intermittent fasting and tracking everything I ate in MyFitnessPal. Intermittent fasting helped me to cut down on snacking, and tracking my food helped me cut back on my calorie intake by forcing me to think about everything I ate. These are also good habits that have helped me after surgery as well. I started with a calorie goal of 2190 per day (which is what MyFitnessPal calculated for me), and gradually challenged myself to go lower. By the time I had surgery, I was averaging about 1500 calories per day. My surgeon only asked me to lose 20 pounds before surgery, and that was my goal, but I ended up losing 70 pounds just by making these simple changes. I didn't try to drastically change what I was eating, but I naturally started making healthier choices just by trying to lower my calorie intake.

@BigSue I will definitely try that calorie counter! That would be useful having a tool that makes you think about what you're eating. The intermentent fasting is where you stop eating at a certain time then don't eat til a certain time the next day right??

Sent from my G60 using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Digidoll said:

@BigSue I will definitely try that calorie counter! That would be useful having a tool that makes you think about what you're eating. The intermentent fasting is where you stop eating at a certain time then don't eat til a certain time the next day right??

Sent from my G60 using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, there are different schedules for intermittent fasting, but the general idea for most is to stop eating for a certain period of time every day. I did 16/8, which meant that I fasted for 16 hours per day. The most common way to do this is to stop eating after dinner, then skip Breakfast the next day and not eat until lunch (e.g., stop eating at 8 pm and don’t eat again until noon the next day). Some people do 12/12 (which is not much of a challenge if you want to start easy), some do 18/6, and some do one meal a day (OMAD), which means they only eat once per day and fast the rest of the day. There are other, more complicated schedules, like alternate day fasting, but I didn’t do those. I personally think the ones with the same schedule each day are the most beneficial for changing your eating habits.