Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here-Gastric sleeve 2019

Hi everyone.

I'm so glad I came across this site as I have been desperate to talk to people to see how others have coled with their weight loss since surgery.

I am really struggling and have found old bad eating habits have crept in again. I am 18 months post surgery and lost 7 stone 7lbs. Most of that ca.e off in the first year but the last 6 months nothing is coming off. It just stopped.

I have mobility problems and walk with crutches and if I go out have to use an electric wheelchair. Because of this the surgeons said I would possibly lose 3 stone if I was lucky so in their terms I've.more than doubled my weight loss. But due to only being 5'1" I'm still obese at 11 stone 7lb.

I have become so frustrated at not even a 1lb coming off each month I've started eating crisps and cake and chocolate again. I know I shouldn't but I'm addicted again. I didn't touch anything sweet for over a year but now, boredom, loneliness and frustration have triggered old habits.

I need help, I just don't know what to do and don't want weight to go back on.

I can't walk or exercise, and started to get very down that the weight wasn't coming off I've given up.

Did anyone else have this happen? If so, what did you do and how to cope?

ANY ADVICE?

LOOPY

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time right now. A few things come to mind:

1) You've already done, really really well. If my arithmetic is right, you've lost 105 pounds, right? That's amazing and cause for celebration (even though I know you're not where you want to be yet).

2) The average expected weight loss with the sleeve is for patients to lose 50-70% of their excess weight. I'm 5'1" also, and a weight of 132 will give us a normal BMI of just under 25 so based on the numbers you've given us, you've lost about 78% of your excess weight (if my math is right, lol). So you haven't failed, the sleeve did exactly what it was projected to do, and a bit more! Your outcome is actually above average.

3) I know you're disappointed about not losing more, but even with what you've lost - don't you feel much better now than you did at 18+ stone? Wouldn't it be awesome to maintain that loss and continue to enjoy the benefits of being slimmer and healthier? You can do that, but if you continue of the path of eating a lot of sweets and junk food, you'll end up right back where you were before surgery. You've come too far and accomplished too much for that.

4) Did your bariatric team connect you to a support group? I know my group is not meeting right now due to the pandemic, but they do get together via zoom, skype, etc. It can be really helpful to stay connected to people who know what you are going through and the challenges that come up along the way.

5) Because of your enforced low activity level, your basal metabolism rate (the minimum number of calories required for your body to function and sustain itself) is probably lower than average. It sucks, but that could mean that you have to cut calories more than other people, in order to keep losing. Our BMR comes down anyway as we lose weight, and most of us have to add exercise to keep the loss going. Because you're not able to do that, it might come down to cutting calories a little more. Which sucks, I know and isn't easy to do. But again, even if you've stabilized at a slightly higher weight than you wanted, isn't it worthwhile to maintain that, rather than throwing all your effort away and undoing everything the surgery did for you? You went through a lot to lose that 7 stone 7lbs.

6) Is there any kind of adapted exercise that you can do, given your physical condition? It actually doesn't take a lot to raise your BMR, which can help you to start losing again. I'm not knowledgeable in that area, but there may be modified exercises that you actually can do.

7) What kind of plan were you following when you were losing weight? If you were watching calories but not carbs, it might help to try keeping your carbs low as well (I have to do that). Or some people lose better watching the amount of fat they eat (doesn't work for me, but people report that it works for them). Can you go back to your bariatric team and ask them for advice? A nutritionist might be able to help you figure this out.

I know what it's like to feel hopeless and defeated. And that feeling is only compounded when you start to pile on weight. Given the way you are feeling, I think maintaining would be a victory right now. So maybe set aside your desire to lose for now and focus on getting back to healthy eating habits and maintaining your weight. When you feel better and more in control, then you can try to get the weight loss going again. But if your body decides "That's it, I'm not losing another pound!", you've done really well and isn't that worth hanging on to?

Sending you blessings. I really hope you find your way to a better place. 🤗

I found myself in a similar position and only three weeks ago took back the reigns of my eating program. I am focusing on eating just like I was when I first was sleeved: 60g Protein, 64 oz Water, low carb, low fat. Go back to the basics. Your pouch is still there and will be your best friend as it will restrict you from eating too much at any one setting. You need to cut out the snacking in between meals, though, as you know. You can do this!

You say you don't know what to do and that you don't want the weight to come back. First, you do know what to do, you just have to decide to do it. Second, the weight will come back because you are choosing to eat crisps and sweets. The weight loss phase doesn't last forever. If you thought it did then you were either misinformed or in denial.

I'm just in a bit of a slump at the moment. I have reached out to my therapist who I was seeing before surgery. She works for an eating disorders team and have spoken to her about whats been happening.

I will get through and and just need to find things to do to get out of the rut of loneliness and boredom. Due to lockdown yet again I can't go out anywhere even if I could so the days seem very long!

Thank you for the support and wish everyone an early merry Christmas.