Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you deal with head hunger post op?

I know I’m not hungry, it’s just a head game. Some days it hasn’t gotten to me at all, some days in the evening is when it sneaks up on me. I don’t cheat or snack or anything, but I also don’t relish the feeling.

I’m just shy of two weeks post op. I’m doing good with consistently getting in over 70g of Proteins and my calories and carbs are pretty consistent day to day as well. Did anyone notice certain meals would lead to them feeling the head hunger more than others? I’m cycling through 4 or 5 different “meals” right now so it shouldn’t be hard to determine if one is more prone to making me feel this way, lol:)

I hate to say it but...I still deal with it. I am over 15 years Post Op and there are times I just want food. I know I'm not truly hungry. That is what led to my regain. I constantly need to remind myself to track my food and even if I think I am hungry...is it time to eat, do I still have food left to eat???

It gets better but I don't think it ever goes away 😞

1 hour ago, HeidiK+15yrs said:

I hate to say it but...I still deal with it. I am over 15 years Post Op and there are times I just want food. I know I'm not truly hungry. That is what led to my regain. I constantly need to remind myself to track my food and even if I think I am hungry...is it time to eat, do I still have food left to eat???

It gets better but I don't think it ever goes away 😞

Yep. I'm "only" 20 months out but I still deal with head hunger on a daily basis.

Head hunger as in "appetite and could eat something"? Well... my first WLS was March 6th 2001 so since 19 years, 8 months and 15 days.

😂

Head hunger is normal, everyone has it (yes, even the "skinnies"). Accept it and get used to it.

I don't think the head hunger ever goes away. We're just better equipped to deal with it post-op because of the loss of gherelin and the smaller stomach. We just have to learn to combat it by drinking something. I find that drinking a sugar-free flavored coffee in between meals keeps me from getting head hungry because it takes me an hour to drink the tumbler of coffee and it keeps me busy and my mind thinks I'm eating something with the sweetness of the flavored Syrup.

Yup, daily.

Wow, thanks for all the replies!! I can deal with absolutely anything, but it is nice to know what to expect, and I guess I can expect to have run ins with this, well, forever:)

I appreciate everyone’s time in responding as I learn to navigate all this new terrain!

Yes, a battle. One thing that has helped a lot was my Dr. suggesting not going over 2 hours without eating something. When I plan these mini Snacks, most times I’m able to say “okay self, it’s just head hunger. You had something an hour ago and will again in an hour, so hold tight and get over yourself”.

Doesn’t work 100%, but hey, I’ll take 60% help and trust that this muscle memory will get stronger each time I refuse to give in. Good luck!

Yep, 2 years out and I still get it sometimes...though I always called them cravings (which I suppose is the same thing?)

Am pretty sure everyone feels this at some point (some more than others) wls or not, big or small.

Main diff is how I deal with them now vs pre-wls.

On 11/21/2020 at 09:48, Lily66 said:

Yes, a battle. One thing that has helped a lot was my Dr. suggesting not going over 2 hours without eating something. When I plan these mini Snacks, most times I’m able to say “okay self, it’s just head hunger. You had something an hour ago and will again in an hour, so hold tight and get over yourself”.

Doesn’t work 100%, but hey, I’ll take 60% help and trust that this muscle memory will get stronger each time I refuse to give in. Good luck!

That is something I’m working out in my head, the no Snacks plan my doctor goes by. It’s 3 meals a day and that is it besides Water, crystal light, Decaf fluids etc between. I’m good with that, but I was always a night time snacker, so really it probably shouldn’t surprise me that that is when my head hunger pays me a visit. I’m honestly good all day except evening, so it’s definitely just trying to adjust to this new way of living:)

37 minutes ago, Horseshowmom said:

That is something I’m working out in my head, the no Snacks plan my doctor goes by. It’s 3 meals a day and that is it besides Water, crystal light, Decaf fluids etc between. I’m good with that, but I was always a night time snacker, so really it probably shouldn’t surprise me that that is when my head hunger pays me a visit. I’m honestly good all day except evening, so it’s definitely just trying to adjust to this new way of living:)

Wow, 3 meals/day with no Snacks would be difficult for me. I have 1/2 an apple or orange midmorning and other half mid afternoon or string cheese, yogurt, a vegetable, etc.-something sensible but it prevents stomach acid and nausea for me. It also helps maintain a good blood sugar level in my case. We’ve each got different issues to deal with so makes sense plans can be different. I told doc I want my plan to be something I can live with long term and this works. Continued success and best wishes to you!

7 hours ago, Horseshowmom said:

I’m honestly good all day except evening, so it’s definitely just trying to adjust to this new way of living:)

Many dieters are "good all day" 😊. Bodies don't really like being in a calorie deficit. So that makes it extra hard.

I can remember the dietician told us three meals plus one snack in the afternoon and to stop eating 2 h before going to bed (though that's because of possible reflux issues and not because of weight loss) but that in the end this is only a guideline just as the recommended foods.

Some patients do good on the recommended schedule and/or foods, some eat three meals a day, others need five or six because they have a higher TDEE and/or a physically more demanding job, some eat different foods because of intolerances, ethical reasons or because of taste preferences.

Plans/diets need to be adapted to the patient's needs, not the other way around.

On 11/22/2020 at 1:22 AM, summerset said:

Plans/diets need to be adapted to the patient's needs, not the other way around.

This.

I'm almost 11 months out and definitely dealing with head hunger. My Dr has us on a 3 meals a day plan and most days I'm good with that as long as I eat Protein heavy and non-processed meals. I do find that when I eat something with processed carbs I get hungrier sooner and the head hunger gets worse.