Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like quitting before I begin

Hello everyone. I am going through pre-op approvals and my doctors all feel like I am a good candidate (just waiting on insurance). To be honest with myself and you all, I am scared and go back and forth with this. I am worried most about the Protein and nutrition aspect. I am not a cook. At all. I hardly eat any protein or much meat now. I have been trying to do the shakes which I like so that is encouraging. I am not a veggie person. I am a carb person. Waffles, Cereal, Bagels, chips and salsa. Sigh. I am so worried as to how I am going to figure out 1. How to cook...2. What to cook 3. Staying away from carbs and sugar (my two favorite food groups). I am 40 and weigh 205. I am anemic (shocker due to lack of meat and protein). I started taking B12 and D due to those being low in my labs. All of my cholesterols were not great (not devastating but not great). I was 125 at my lowest and 158 before I had my daughter 8 years ago. I carry my weight around the dangerous middle (42” waist). My husband told me to not have surgery and just eat better and exercise but I kinda feel that if I had surgery I could do that while getting a jump start on the weight loss. Does the hunger go away a lot? Any advice would be great because right now I am so confused!!!! Thank you!

Everyone's experience is different, but I haven't found managing nutritional needs to be difficult after my sleeve surgery. I'm not cooking these days either but I'm able to get enough Protein with basic things like rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, eggs, yogurt, cheese and so on. I eat a little weird because I don't often eat a whole meal but I'm managing to get my nutritional needs met (I know because I'm still keeping track of everything). And of course I take my Multivitamin daily and B12 weekly as my doctor prescribed. My bloodwork always comes back fine, the only suggestion the doctor has given me was to start taking Vitamin D, which I did. And there's no malabsorbtion with the sleeve, so that's not a factor.

I do find that my appetite is significantly reduced. I know hunger comes back more quickly for some people, but 20 months out I'm still hungry less often and less urgently than I was before. One of the BEST side-effects of surgery for me is that things that used to be "comfort food" for me no longer have that emotional kick they used to have. I can eat a pancake with Syrup and it tastes good, but whatever that emotional hit was that I used to get, that's gone. And that's a VERY good thing for me. I mostly avoid the carby, sweet stuff but I do allow myself a treat every now and then. And then it's RIGHT back on my eating plan because I don't want to wake up cravings for all that stuff.

I still don't keep sweets or junk food in the house. When I have a treat, I have to make a special effort to go get it and it's planned. And I only get enough for one serving. When that's gone, I'm done and it's back to protein, dairy, nuts, eggs, etc.

I'm an apple shape like you, so I know exactly what you mean. I've lost 11 inches off my waist, which my doctor is ecstatic about. Only you can decide if weight loss surgery is right for you, but I wouldn't let malnutrition fears be the deal-breaker. Your bariatric team will give you a diet designed to meet your nutritional needs and they'll be monitoring you. All the best, whatever you decide! 🤗

I can totally relate to that. Before WLS I felt like I could live the rest of my life eating nothing but Cookies and be totally happy. I still don't eat vegetables or fruit now as I just don't care for them. But I get plenty of "sweets" with chocolate Protein Shakes, Protein Cake Bites, etc. which satisfy both my need for sweets and the protein needs of my body.

The easy answer i found is that it takes away your choice. After the surgery you don’t have a choice anymore. It’s not up to you so you follow the steps. Most of the food is available in the stores in individual packages. You won’t be cooking for quite a while and by then you will welcome the chance for some variety.

Thank you all so much. This all makes sense. Do you eventually get to the point where you can eat what everyone else eats but just a tiny portion?

First of all, what you are feeling is perfectly normal and natural. You are making a decision that will change your life forever. That's the reality.

Before my surgery I had major doubts. I was worried I would be the one person in the world that the surgery didn't work for. I worried I would fall back into my normal eating habits, I wouldn't exercise, I wouldn't lose weight or I'd gain it all back. And to be honest, 2 years post-op, I still think that almost on a daily basis. But I wouldn't change it for the world.

The weeks following surgery it is crucial you follow the plan. It is not only to help your body heal but this is the boot camp to teach your body your new way of living and eating. Take it one day at a time.

My hunger (or fake hunger) between meals went away as long as I keep focusing on the healthy eating at my meals. Do some research on how you can get your Protein without cooking. I do Protein Shakes too and they help a lot. But think about keeping grilled chicken or turkey burgers on hand - that requires little effect to make and you only have to heat it up. Beans provide a lot of protein, and again you just heat them up. Unprocessed lunch meats also require no cooking.

Now real talk - Your husband needs to STFU. This is not his decision and he does not get to dictate what you do. This is your decision. Also, it is extremely detrimental to anyone to tell them just to eat better and exercise more. That doesn't work for everyone and anyone that says that callously does not understand the emotional toll it takes to do what you are supposed to and still not see results. I was overweight because my body fought me no matter I did, it wasn't due to lack of knowledge or motivation.

Do what you feel is right and don't let anyone talk you out of what you want to do.

Edited by Ylime

On 11/20/2020 at 15:28, Kelchicky said:

Hello everyone. I am going through pre-op approvals and my doctors all feel like I am a good candidate (just waiting on insurance). To be honest with myself and you all, I am scared and go back and forth with this. I am worried most about the Protein and nutrition aspect. I am not a cook. At all. I hardly eat any Protein or much meat now. I have been trying to do the shakes which I like so that is encouraging. I am not a veggie person. I am a carb person. Waffles, Cereal, Bagels, chips and salsa. Sigh. I am so worried as to how I am going to figure out 1. How to cook...2. What to cook 3. Staying away from carbs and sugar (my two favorite food groups). I am 40 and weigh 205. I am anemic (shocker due to lack of meat and protein). I started taking B12 and D due to those being low in my labs. All of my cholesterols were not great (not devastating but not great). I was 125 at my lowest and 158 before I had my daughter 8 years ago. I carry my weight around the dangerous middle (42” waist). My husband told me to not have surgery and just eat better and exercise but I kinda feel that if I had surgery I could do that while getting a jump start on the weight loss. Does the hunger go away a lot? Any advice would be great because right now I am so confused!!!! Thank you!

Hi I just wanted to follow up with you. We have really similar stories and I can completely relate! I’m 36, currently 202 lbs (after WLS), I was NEVER a meat eater and was a carb/snack Queen. Anemic, a mostly vegetarian but on a non balanced diet just ate all the wrong stuff. Nobody though I “needed” WLS, but I felt old, tired, loss of energy and my happiness was slowly slipping away. I needed naps, and always was exhausted beyond belief. I didn’t see how I could make all the changes, I was already too tired! I made a decision to set my mind and commit 100% to this process. Yes I had doubt moments beforehand but I dismissed them and followed everything that was asked me to. Once I started the protein supplements I felt great! I didn’t realize my way of eating was making me feel so terrible. I’m 1 1/2 weeks post op and never felt better. I track everything, my energy is up and my addictive hunger cues are silent. Yes there’s pain, there’s intense recovery but I couldn’t be happier. If you want this, tell yourself you can’t fail, put a positive mind on and don’t look back. If it’s not for you, there is great info from nutritionists that’ll help you fix your diet and feel better. Best of luck to you.

Wow! Here I am in your shoes...going to exactly everything you’re going through (except I’m not married)...

I find that it is very helpful to read,read,read on all your questions...I have been educating myself on plant based diets and why it is so important to incorporate veggies and more natural foods in our bodies...now granted this process or any good outcome doesn’t come over night...I have a year trying to be vegetarian...( I am at a point where I only eat chicken and fish) just recently I only eat a plant based Breakfast and lunch ...dinner is chicken and whatever carb I love...so it’s really about getting our minds right before we get our refrigerator right...

Please look up Dr.Vough he’s been my guide.