Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What % of excess weight have you lost & in how long?

Hi all,

Would love to get a rough idea of how people have done at seperate stages. Think % of excess weight is a good way to track as everyone's weights will be so different.

Here in the UK they advise that Sleevers lose on average between 50-70% of their excess weight by 18 months.

I've lost 35% in 1 month 1 day. Assume it'll slow very soon!

I guess I lost 54% of my excess weight in 12 months. But then I've never lost another pound. It stayed there. Hoping to start over again (two weeks ago) and ramp this puppy back up for weight loss.

I weighed in at 377 lbs on June of 2019 Had the sleeve done June 18 - OK forgot one thing I am a alpha Male so i had a goal to weigh in in Cuba On December 27 2019 That was my goal

So I was not addicted to the scale So i can not tell you the stages percentage but I lost 155 pound when i weighed in on Dec 27 i was 208

1 hour ago, Kam-R said:

Hi all,

Would love to get a rough idea of how people have done at seperate stages. Think % of excess weight is a good way to track as everyone's weights will be so different.

Here in the UK they advise that Sleevers lose on average between 50-70% of their excess weight by 18 months.

Hi! Congrats on your weight loss this far!

”Excess weight” may be calculated differently from person to person. Some use normal BMI of 25 as a baseline, others may use a personal goal weight.

How do YOU calculate excess weight?

Edited by ms.sss

2 hours ago, Kam-R said:

Hi all,

99.4% in 20 months. My weight loss was never super-fast but it kept going and going. I'm 2 pounds from goal now.

Using my starting weight and MY goal weight of 150, I have lost about 73% of my excess body weight at about 4.5 months post-op. If I use a BMI of 25 (164 pounds) I have lost around 83% of excess body weight. 😊

2 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Hi! Congrats on your weight loss this far!

”Excess weight” may be calculated differently from person to person. Some use normal BMI of 25 as a baseline, others may use a personal goal weight.

How do YOU calculate excess weight?

I didn't know that! So professionals are probably referring to the 25 bmi. I based mine on my "fantasy" weight. BMI of 22. Dare to dream :)

The replies are SO encouraging by the way. You've all done amazingly. Its really helpful to get real world examples. No in person support available at the moment with Covid & I'm a bit swamped with info from the Internet!

8 hours ago, Kam-R said:

I didn't know that! So professionals are probably referring to the 25 bmi. I based mine on my "fantasy" weight. BMI of 22. Dare to dream :)

K, so both me and my surgeon calculated excess weight using the BMI 25 baseline.

He (and online literature) told me statistically sleeve patients on average lose 60-70% of their excess weight, and this would be considered a successful result. I'm 5'2", and 60-70% excess weight for me calculates at a 65lb loss. 100% excess weight would have been 99 lbs. I lost a total of 120 (i did lose more if you count my lowest weight about a year ago, but that didn't last long)

So to answer your original question about how much excess weight folks have lost in stages, here are my stats, percentages displayed as cumulative:

Note that everyone's results will differ greatly, as we are all so different!

• during 2 week pre-op: 12%
  • 1 month: 34%
  • 3 months: 64%
  • 6 months: 98%
  • 7 months (stopped trying to lose): 107%
  • today (2+ years post op): 119%

As mentioned, there was a point almost a year ago that I was at 128% excess weight lost, but that didn't last long and it was just after I had plastics and wasn't eating, so....yeah.

I've basically maintained 119% excess weight lost (give or take a couple percentage points) for about 18 months.

So far so good...but we'll see what the next couple years will be like...

Edited by ms.sss

I reached my doctor's predicted weight (130 lbs) at about 9 months out. MY first "goal" weight at 11 months out. At my last visit in Aug (it was considered my 2 yr visit even though it was only 22 months) I was at 103% loss of excess weight. I'm now 8 lbs below what was considered my "optimal" weight but haven't calculated what percent that is.

My GB was 10/2/19. If you include the fasting prior to surgery, I’ve lost 90 lbs. My DH says the fasting doesn’t count but I told him it did count. I had to lose the pre-op weight to qualify for the surgery, per my insurance co! I’ll take any victory! It was hard to fast!

7 hours ago, JoanneLaRusch said:

How do I calculate this?

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi. Your excess is your starting weight minus your ideal weight. Some determine the ideal weight as BMI 25 but you can decide which weight works for you. So once you know your excess weight you can work out what % of it you've already lost.

I’ve lost 74% of my goal in 6 months. Need to lose 22 more pounds. It’s been slow this past month. Only losing about a half pound a week.