Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Expected weight loss

I had bypass yesterday morning and feeling good overall. I’m just looking for someone with a similar experience. I’m only needing to lose 80-85 lbs for optimal BMI number. I had high blood pressure, blood work has the bad elevated numbers and have been borderline diabetic for years (2 gestational diabetics pregnancies). Just seeing if there’s others that have less to lose then 100 and how long did it take to hit the number & maintain? Thanks for reply’s!

I didn't have bypass, I had sleeve, but I'll share my experience. I lost 65 pounds within 4-6 months and have kept it off until COVID when I've gained 10 back but it's coming back off again now. I've basically maintained for 1 1/2 years.

I just had gastric sleeve to gastric bypass on October 29th. I had lost 60 pounds after sleeve surgery but slowly gained 40 back over the past 6 years. My bypass surgery was done for chronic GERD/Gastritis/Esophagitis, but I will lose weight as a "side effect/complication" of surgery. My surgeon told me I won't lose as much with this surgery, so I'm taking advantage of the recovery period to refocus on good, healthy food choices. I need to lose 25 pounds to get to a BMI of 24.9 - Normal Weight, which is where my gastroenterologist and Family Practitioner want me to be. Of course, I'd love to weight 145 pounds...haven't been that weight for over 35 years!

Good luck on your journey and keep us updated on your progress!

Edited by mae7365

1 hour ago, Luna805 said:

I had bypass yesterday morning and feeling good overall. I’m just looking for someone with a similar experience. I’m only needing to lose 80-85 lbs for optimal BMI number. I had high blood pressure, blood work has the bad elevated numbers and have been borderline diabetic for years (2 gestational diabetics pregnancies). Just seeing if there’s others that have less to lose then 100 and how long did it take to hit the number & maintain? Thanks for reply’s!

How tall are you?

5'4"

On 11/19/2020 at 05:51, ms.sss said:

How tall are you?

I’m 5’3

2 minutes ago, Luna805 said:

I’m 5’3

Ok, so we have pretty similar starting stats (along with @mae7365, lol)

Mandatory Disclaimer: everyone loses at different rates, based on a whole myraid of reasons, and one's success is NOT determined by the results of another. Further, how much, or how fast, one loses weight is a poor indicator of long term weight-keeping-off-ing (I can't think of a better word here, lol).

With that said: I am 5'2" and was 235 lbs 2 weeks before surgery. I was on blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, and was borderline diabetic for a few years too. My doc tried to manage my expectations by telling me that it would be considered a success if I lost 65 lbs, which would have got me to a BMI of 31.1, and hopefully get off my medication.

I had other ideas, and wanted to get down to below a BMI of 25, which for my height calculated at a goal of 136 lbs (i.e., lose 99 lbs):

• Lost the doc's expectation of 65lbs by 3 months post-op (and was off all meds)
  • Lost my own personal (1st) goal of 99lbs by 6 months post-op

I am now a little over 2 years post-op and weigh 115-120 lbs (BMI 21-21.9)

I think its too early to tell if I can maintain this weight range for the longer-longer-longer term...but so far so good-ish.

Good Luck ❤️

My stats are different, but I had type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure. I have lost over 80 pounds since I started my pre-op diet, two weeks before surgery. I have been pretty insane about working out during my post-op, but I have been couched for the last two weeks with COVID and continue to have steady weight loss. I do not think I am the norm, as my weight loss has consistently been about 15 pounds per month post-op plus the 15 pounds I lost on the two week pre-op diet. It looks like most people lose more the first month and then weight loss is a bit less on subsequent months. 🤷‍♀️ I am extremely happy with my weight loss thus far and hope to hit goal January-ish. I do want to get 10-15 pounds below goal, as it seems normal to have a bit of bounce back going into maintenance. I have gone from plus size 20-22 jeans down to a regular 10. I am off all meds except one blood pressure med, which I have been on for 17 years back when I was 175 pounds. For reference, I am 47 years old, 5’8”, and have a “large frame” based on wrist and elbow measurements.

Welcome to the loser’s bench!

I'm 5'3 and started at 230. My monthly stats are in my signature.

Best of luck to you!! WLS is a game changer!!!!

1 hour ago, WishMeSmaller said:

and have a “large frame” based on wrist and elbow measurements.

So off topic a little bit....I always thought (assumed) I had a "large frame" based on wrist measurements (I never measured my wrist when I wasn't obese, so I had no point of reference). At 5'2", my wrist had measured almost 6.75 inches.

After I lost the weight, turns out I have a small frame....my wrist measures just a little under 5.25 inches now. Guess I just had alot of fat on my wrists!

46 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

So off topic a little bit....I always thought (assumed) I had a "large frame" based on wrist measurements (I never measured my wrist when I wasn't obese, so I had no point of reference). At 5'2", my wrist had measured almost 6.75 inches.

After I lost the weight, turns out I have a small frame....my wrist measures just a little under 5.25 inches now. Guess I just had alot of fat on my wrists!

Lol! Yeah, I read wrist is not super accurate, so I did my elbow too. By both measures, I am “large frame.” Disclaimer: I have not measured in 80 pounds or so; I will have to measure again to check in. 😬

I do have broad shoulders, with huge hands and feet, so it might be for realsies. 😂 I noticed a lot of people lost a shoe size or two post-WLS. I am still a 9.5-10 (40-41 Euro). The good news is my shoes still fit. The bad news is my feet are still big. 🤣🤣

As an adult, the least I have ever weighed is 135. I was very fit (and young) at the time, so I did not look overly thin, but I still had these shoulders, hands, and feet. Not so sure about pulling that weight off 20-25 years older, but I am pretty flexible on my goal weight depending on how I look and feel. 💕

18 minutes ago, WishMeSmaller said:

I do have broad shoulders, with huge hands and feet, so it might be for realsies. 😂 I noticed a lot of people lost a shoe size or two post-WLS. I am still a 9.5-10 (40-41 Euro). The good news is my shoes still fit. The bad news is my feet are still big.

I'm a 39-40 Euro size (at 5'6''), depending on the brand, always was as an adult. I don't know how people lose a shoe size. Length of feet is set once you're an adult, no?

I'm also a large frame according to wrist circumference.

20 minutes ago, summerset said:

I'm a 39-40 Euro size (at 5'6''), depending on the brand, always was as an adult. I don't know how people lose a shoe size. Length of feet is set once you're an adult, no?

I'm also a large frame according to wrist circumference.

Right??? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, ms.sss said:

So I measured my elbow and wrist again. Lol...too much time on my giant hands. 😂

Wrist 6.25” = medium frame

Elbow 2.875” = large frame

My wrist is smaller than it was pre-WLS. My elbow did not change. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

5 hours ago, WishMeSmaller said:

The good news is my shoes still fit. The bad news is my feet are still big.

😂🤣😳😝😂🤣😝