Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, ANewJourneyAwaits said:

Hello! I am awake enough in the hospital now to talk. Yesterday was quite miserable as the gas kept hitting my new stomach and I was super nauseous. I slept through the night. I’m still woozy and bit sleepy but much better from yesterday. I’m walking and the incisions don’t feel too bad now that they gas has subsided (except in my right shoulder). Overall the doctor said it went great. I’m now able drink 4 small cups of water—from the little cups they give to you.

The only other thing is it feels like I may have heartburn.

So glad you are doing pretty well! Hoping the heartburn feeling is gone soon! And the gas pain!

I’m on day 3 post op. No real issues so far. The constant state of feeling full is annoying, but it could be worse. I’m so happy that I did this.

17 hours ago, TexasSleeveGal said:

I'm having VSG on December 29th! I'm really struggling with the pre op liquid diet! I went for 4 days good, then cheated for 3, then 3 days good and I cheated today! But it's Christmas it's so hard! Now I'm terrified my surgery will get canceled. I've lost about 15lbs so far.

I am in Texas too and had my surgery here on the 18th. Just try to get back on the wagon and be strict until surgery day. 😀

Hi, my sleeve was going to happen 6 days ago but I had to reschedule as I was unsure if going under the knife during Covid was a good decision. I have postponed it to 21 Jan. However I am still in two minds.

Any advice? I would love to hear from someone who has had it recently.

The reason for my hesitation is when I spoke to the nurse for pre op, I asked her if this is good time(considering the pandemic), she said and I quote " after general anaesthesia, the body and organs will not work full on for a little while, and if I was to catch Covid on the ward (its a secure hospital but still there is a chance ) that my lungs won't be able to fight it as it would usually.

Any ideas? Please advise. Im thinking to leave it until the summer but frankly I don't want to.

Merry Xmas.

I had my sleeve on 12/7, and I was also thinking about Covid. I decided to go for it since I had been waiting all year, and I figured I’d rather (if I got Covid) fight it at a healthier weight and less co-morbidities than my starting weight. You have valid concerns, and maybe later everyone will be vaccinated. As a side note I received first dose of Covid vaccine on Monday! Whatever you do, take your surgeon’s advice along with others’ advice, and even your gut or intuition and do what’s right for you!!

My hospital is a heart and surgical hospital dedicated to surgeries and care related to the heart. They don’t have Covid patients there, which is why I’m relieved to have my surgery there. I will be tested for Covid on 12/28 (Monday), and will be quarantined until surgery on 12/30 (Wednesday). Then I will be quarantined at home for 2 weeks post-op to ward off any chance of catching Covid. That’s the protocol the hospital told me.

I just had mine. This was a legitimate concern of mine too so I talked to my surgeon and he said the exact same thing that the other two ladies are saying. That the hospital is completely clear of Covid patients and then if you’re waiting you could be waiting a long time because this disease isn’t going anywhere and you still have to get a vaccine and it has to be at 90% herd immunity. So you might be waiting a long time and also they take every precaution so I decided to do it now because he was right. It’s better to catch it at a smaller weight then right now where it’s been shown obesity gives way to more severe symptoms of Covid.

Also they’re supposed to be a gigantic spike in January even more so than right now due to Christmas.

I am having surgery December 2 anyone else around that time too, would like to have support from other people as we go thru this journey around the same time. Wishing luck to everyone else we GOT this!
I just had my bypass on 12.21.20

Sent from my SM-A015AZ using BariatricPal mobile app

9 hours ago, ANewJourneyAwaits said:

Thank you RTL! You had Youre recently too, right?

Yes! I’m on post op day 3! Starting to feel more like myself again! Cool liquids are going down (and staying down) well but hot liquids feel weird going down. Almost like I can feel every place it travels to. It’s weird. It’s not painful, but it makes me stop drinking it. 🤷🏼‍♀️

RTL, that’s great! I’m doing okay with the sipping Water. I even took sips of a Protein Shake. There are two things I’m worried about. I had mild gerd and knew that VSG could make it worse. It seems like I’m getting gerd today which scares me. I asked the doctor and nurse and they said this is normal the first few days.

Also, I keep coughing up phlegm. Which is kind of scary as I was out for along time without my mask on. Sigh.

12 minutes ago, ANewJourneyAwaits said:

RTL, that’s great! I’m doing okay with the sipping Water. I even took sips of a Protein Shake. There are two things I’m worried about. I had mild gerd and knew that VSG could make it worse. It seems like I’m getting gerd today which scares me. I asked the doctor and nurse and they said this is normal the first few days.

Also, I keep coughing up phlegm. Which is kind of scary as I was out for along time without my mask on. Sigh.

Yes! Coughing up mucus is totally normal! I’m in pulmonary and because of the endotracheal tube they use, it jars all kind of nasty up! I wouldn’t be too worried! In terms of relating to getting sick or covid, anyway.

do you take anything for your GERD? I’ve never really had it, minus the occasional food triggering or when I was pregnant. I’m not sure how to recognize it now. I keep like hiccuping/burping with just Water so I’m wondering if that’s GERD? Or maybe just the gas still working it’s way out? I’m clueless 🤣🤣

Having just completed my 3rd week post op I wanted to post an update in case it helps anyone with a late December surgery date still in that first week.

I guess having read so many people saying minimal pain after Gastric Bypass, and felt recovered "pretty quickly"...left me with exaggerated expectations of my healing. I should have really asked a bit more of what is minimal pain mean, and what are the typical expectations days after surgery, a week after surgery...when do I not feel any pain?

The first week was definitely rough, pain was moderate (to me), meaning I felt every movement I made and was uncomfortable in all but a few positions. Day 8 for me was finally a point where I felt I could get up and down without much discomfort, and walk around for longer period of times with pain being too much. I declared I finally started feeling human.

Each day after that it gets....better. Not dramatically...just a longer slower upward trend than my patience and pain threshold was ready for.

I had no obligations to be anywhere for 2 weeks - and WAS SO THANKFUL I did that. I am back at work week 3 but definitely not at 100%. And I just sit behind a desk. I would say for just doing computer work for 8-10 hours I am at 75% of where I was pre surgery. And very worn and more hurting at the end of the day. From a physical standpoint of any type of real movement ie Hiking, or long walks...I'd say I am 40-50% of where I was...

So for anyone in those first 2 weeks wondering like I did why I am not up and feeling great....maybe this will be some type of encouragement. The key takeaway for me is...each day is an improvement...and taking time to heal is ok...it's not a race...a journey. Each body is different.

I am thankful for no real complications, and am very pleased at the initial weight loss I have experienced since prepping for surgery, and over the past several weeks. That is also helping to motivate...and know each day is a healthier me as well.

November 26th - 290

December 15 - 270 (Surgery)

January 6th - 245

I would have NEVER believed that was possible. So thankful there is a tool that can help me get my health under control. Hope this helps someone out there struggling through pain...just rest, do the best you can each day to stay hydrated..and time WILL PASS..and you WILL feel better. Just takes time...

I can finally fit my wedding ring back on! I haven’t worn it in 5+ years!!

Still doing well. I thought I really tweaked a muscle because I was having rough consistent pain in my abdomen. I just laid on my side and let out a huge fart (TMI, sorry!) and now I feel so much better! So I went ahead and took a Gas-X and I’m sipping some Decaf peppermint tea now.

F84575AF-526F-483A-914A-198117ACEDB8.jpeg

Had my surgery on Dec 7th I was 253 im now 235 not sure if that's good or not I feel like I should of lost more