Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 10 Years Ago..... considering revision surgery

Hey guys

I really need some help from "real people with real experiences", my weight is increasing despite having a lap band in and I need to do something to stop it in its tracks. I have been dieting forever but this year I have done about 7 different diets, from Keto, SW, Calorie Counting etc and I am now heavier than I was on January 1st and what worries me is what my weight will rise up to if I don't do something.

My history:

- Starting Weight before Lap band: approx. 17 stone (size 20)

- Lowest Weight after Lap band: approx. 10 stone (not for very long, comfortable weight was about 11 stone) (size 10/12)

- Current Weight: 13 stone (steadily increasing weekly) (size 14)

- I had a gastric band in April 2010, everything was fine overall, but the last few years haven't been so good, I developed a pouch in oesophagus so I only have 6.25ml in my band, this isn't really providing me with much restriction at all, I do have a little reflux however. I have also suffered with Constipation for about 20 years!

As I said above, I really need some help from "real people with real experiences", I am considering what my options are, revision surgery from the band to: Sleeve, Bypass, Mini Bypass or anything else?

I have spoken to a few surgeons this week and they have all given different advice, so it is even more confusing.

My questions are:

- Has anyone had a similar experiences and what did you decide to do and was it the right decision?

- It worries me if I have the sleeve or a bypass, will I be in the same situation in 10 years time?

- Would anyone recommend a particular company or surgeon?

- Has anyone had the band deflated and maybe had the balloon? I don't know if this is even possible? I thought this would mean surgery wouldn't be needed?

Any advice would be welcomed, thank you all for your time 🙂

It's tough, isn't it? It's a lifetime struggle for many of us.

I can highly recommend the Sleeve Surgery as I had it just under two years ago and lost 60 lbs or so. That being said, this year with COVID, I gained 10-12 of it back, but I just got back on track again two weeks ago and have already lost 4 lbs on Keto.

What's different about dieting post-op to pre-op is that your stomach is smaller so you can't eat as much. It's your best friend and aid in dieting. As long as you're choosing the right foods with the focus on Protein, the portion sizes take care of themselves and that's a huge impact on your success.

I can't speak from experience as to a revision because I never had the lapband.

2 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

It's tough, isn't it? It's a lifetime struggle for many of us.

I can highly recommend the Sleeve Surgery as I had it just under two years ago and lost 60 lbs or so. That being said, this year with COVID, I gained 10-12 of it back, but I just got back on track again two weeks ago and have already lost 4 lbs on Keto.

What's different about dieting post-op to pre-op is that your stomach is smaller so you can't eat as much. It's your best friend and aid in dieting. As long as you're choosing the right foods with the focus on Protein, the portion sizes take care of themselves and that's a huge impact on your success.

I can't speak from experience as to a revision because I never had the lapband.

Hey, WOW thank you for your quick response. I really am so confused, can I ask with the sleeve, how does it physically stop you eating, as I am worried I will overeat (not that I do now as I have the band and it doesn't allow me to, but if I didn't have any restriction then god knows!). As you said above you have gained 10-12 pounds, that would really worry me as if you can put that on then I know I probably will too and I don't want to be in the same situation in another 10 years. Thanks x

27 minutes ago, Skip111178 said:

Hey, WOW thank you for your quick response. I really am so confused, can I ask with the sleeve, how does it physically stop you eating, as I am worried I will overeat (not that I do now as I have the band and it doesn't allow me to, but if I didn't have any restriction then god knows!). As you said above you have gained 10-12 pounds, that would really worry me as if you can put that on then I know I probably will too and I don't want to be in the same situation in another 10 years. Thanks x

With the sleeve, most of your stomach is removed, so you can physically not eat a lot at one time. Of course, if you're determined to overeat, you can "eat around your sleeve" as they call it. That is, you can eat small amounts all day long until you have overeaten. But removing most of your stomach also reduces the amount ghrelin your body produces and that's one of the hormones that is responsible for hunger. I had the sleeve 20 months ago and my appetite is still significantly reduced from what it was pre-surgery. Everyone is different, hunger comes back more quickly for some people. But you have the restriction in your tummy to make overeating more difficult. Like any weight loss surgery, it's just a tool - you have to make good use of it. You can stretch your stomach to a larger size if you force the food in. But it's certainly much easier to eat less with the sleeve than it is without it. I wish you well, whatever you decide!

1 minute ago, Jaelzion said:

With the sleeve, most of your stomach is removed, so you can physically not eat a lot at one time. Of course, if you're determined to overeat, you can "eat around your sleeve" as they call it. That is, you can eat small amounts all day long until you have overeaten. But removing most of your stomach also reduces the amount ghrelin your body produces and that's one of the hormones that is responsible for hunger. I had the sleeve 20 months ago and my appetite is still significantly reduced from what it was pre-surgery. Everyone is different, hunger comes back more quickly for some people. But you have the restriction in your tummy to make overeating more difficult. Like any weight loss surgery, it's just a tool - you have to make good use of it. You can stretch your stomach to a larger size if you force the food in. But it's certainly much easier to eat less with the sleeve than it is without it. I wish you well, whatever you decide!

Thank you 🙂 all understood. I definitely do not want to overeat - I am just worried if I do. Thank you for all your advice.

15 hours ago, Skip111178 said:

As you said above you have gained 10-12 pounds, that would really worry me as if you can put that on then I know I probably will too and I don't want to be in the same situation in another 10 years. Thanks x

Well, to be fair, it was all my fault. The sleeve did it's job. I was really struggling with COVID and the racial tension in this country (no excuse) and Depression and I was eating two giant Hershey bars a day and Cookies. Sweets are my weakness. Once I quit eating the sweets, the weight started coming back off. I can't eat very much at a time. The sleeve cuts off 3/4 of your stomach so you end up with a teeny tiny stomach that can't hold much. Therefore you can't eat much at any one sitting. That being said, if you ate or snacked every few hours, it's possible you could still eat too much, but if you stuck with three meals a day and maybe one snack you'd drop the weight like crazy. On the bright side, I was able to stop myself at the 10 pounds and not gain back 20, 30 or 50. So in the long run, I've learned my lesson, I didn't regain all of my original weight, and I caught myself before I got in too deep and I'm back on track. Hubby and I are now doing the Keto diet and it's amazing how little I can eat due to the stomach size restriction. Like I said, it's a Godsend.

Hey @Skip111178 Not many of us from "lapbandtalk" still around... (all others, that's what this site was called back then) ..... as a fellow bandmember and now "sleever". I can only answer from my POV;

My questions are:

- Has anyone had a similar experiences and what did you decide to do and was it the right decision? ****I never had the reflux, i of course had the bouts with vomiting like most LB patients. I did at one point back years ago gained 15-20ish pounds. I was glad i realized what i was doing. I told myself, you didn't do what you did, go through what you went through, given up what you did to go back to the "old" person you were. Grab my small plate and went back to what i knew worked, portions, chewing, better choices, exercising... Lost and got back to my steady 143lbs and size 6. Revising to the sleeve was good for me. I knew where i was headed without the aid of WLS. My band was ER removed 2017 at 143lbs. 16 months ago i revised to the sleeve at 173lbs (30lb gain over the 2.5 years of no WLS). 5'2" and now at 120lbs.

- It worries me if I have the sleeve or a bypass, will I be in the same situation in 10 years time?**** I worry about that also, but in 10 years i'll be 62 and i'll cross that bridge when i get too it. Personally, had i had more options, i would have done the MGB (mini). But i would have had to go to Mexico for that and i felt better doing the sleeve 10 minutes from my home. The LB removal was pretty easy, removed on Thurs, back at work on Monday. Hunger really came back at about 2 weeks. The sleeve was the easiest SX i ever had. Done on Wednesday and back at work on Monday. I told my co workers i was having Hernia SX. Which i did end up having a Hiatal hernia repaired. Not telling was a great choice for me.

- Would anyone recommend a particular company or surgeon?***** I do not, i live in the US

- Has anyone had the band deflated and maybe had the balloon? I don't know if this is even possible? I thought this would mean surgery wouldn't be needed?****** STAY AWAY FROM THE BALLOON!!!! With the sleeve i don't get food "stuck" anymore. I do get the full feeling after about 3-4 bites, but i do feel like i'm hungrier faster than with the band. The band i was never hungry. I have only had 3 vomiting episodes since sleeve and it was my own fault. I learned to listen to my body and depend on Portion Control more now. With the band, it would get stuck and i would throw up. I find it's more important than ever to wait to drink after eating. I find that within minutes of drinking, i'm hungry again. I do worry about regain.. EVERYDAY..... i have had a lot of friends that did the sleeve and GB that regained. I'm hopeful that if i keep diligent with what i'm doing i can maintain the 53lbs loss

2 hours ago, GradyCat said:

Well, to be fair, it was all my fault. The sleeve did it's job. I was really struggling with COVID and the racial tension in this country (no excuse) and Depression and I was eating two giant Hershey bars a day and Cookies. Sweets are my weakness. Once I quit eating the sweets, the weight started coming back off. I can't eat very much at a time. The sleeve cuts off 3/4 of your stomach so you end up with a teeny tiny stomach that can't hold much. Therefore you can't eat much at any one sitting. That being said, if you ate or snacked every few hours, it's possible you could still eat too much, but if you stuck with three meals a day and maybe one snack you'd drop the weight like crazy. On the bright side, I was able to stop myself at the 10 pounds and not gain back 20, 30 or 50. So in the long run, I've learned my lesson, I didn't regain all of my original weight, and I caught myself before I got in too deep and I'm back on track. Hubby and I are now doing the Keto diet and it's amazing how little I can eat due to the stomach size restriction. Like I said, it's a Godsend.

Thank you for your honesty, that is good to know.

Can I ask have you had any issues with your teeth? I know you had a sleeve, but I just read an article about how people have really suffered with the teeth since having the bypass and look like they are on meth. There were loads of comments which now is scaring me! Every time I think I have made a decision, something else comes up!

53 minutes ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

Hey @Skip111178 Not many of us from "lapbandtalk" still around... (all others, that's what this site was called back then) ..... as a fellow bandmember and now "sleever". I can only answer from my POV;

My questions are:

- Has anyone had a similar experiences and what did you decide to do and was it the right decision? ****I never had the reflux, i of course had the bouts with vomiting like most LB patients. I did at one point back years ago gained 15-20ish pounds. I was glad i realized what i was doing. I told myself, you didn't do what you did, go through what you went through, given up what you did to go back to the "old" person you were. Grab my small plate and went back to what i knew worked, portions, chewing, better choices, exercising... Lost and got back to my steady 143lbs and size 6. Revising to the sleeve was good for me. I knew where i was headed without the aid of WLS. My band was ER removed 2017 at 143lbs. 16 months ago i revised to the sleeve at 173lbs (30lb gain over the 2.5 years of no WLS). 5'2" and now at 120lbs.

- It worries me if I have the sleeve or a bypass, will I be in the same situation in 10 years time?**** I worry about that also, but in 10 years i'll be 62 and i'll cross that bridge when i get too it. Personally, had i had more options, i would have done the MGB (mini). But i would have had to go to Mexico for that and i felt better doing the sleeve 10 minutes from my home. The LB removal was pretty easy, removed on Thurs, back at work on Monday. Hunger really came back at about 2 weeks. The sleeve was the easiest SX i ever had. Done on Wednesday and back at work on Monday. I told my co workers i was having Hernia SX. Which i did end up having a Hiatal hernia repaired. Not telling was a great choice for me.

- Would anyone recommend a particular company or surgeon?***** I do not, i live in the US

- Has anyone had the band deflated and maybe had the balloon? I don't know if this is even possible? I thought this would mean surgery wouldn't be needed?****** STAY AWAY FROM THE BALLOON!!!! With the sleeve i don't get food "stuck" anymore. I do get the full feeling after about 3-4 bites, but i do feel like i'm hungrier faster than with the band. The band i was never hungry. I have only had 3 vomiting episodes since sleeve and it was my own fault. I learned to listen to my body and depend on Portion Control more now. With the band, it would get stuck and i would throw up. I find it's more important than ever to wait to drink after eating. I find that within minutes of drinking, i'm hungry again. I do worry about regain.. EVERYDAY..... i have had a lot of friends that did the sleeve and GB that regained. I'm hopeful that if i keep diligent with what i'm doing i can maintain the 53lbs loss

Wow thank you for taking the time to write so much information. Its good to hear from someone who has been where I am. Can I ask why you are not keen on the balloon? (I don't think I can have it anyway but just curious).

Your profile pic looks amazing - well done!! Congratulations!! 🙂

47 minutes ago, Skip111178 said:

Thank you for your honesty, that is good to know.

Can I ask have you had any issues with your teeth? I know you had a sleeve, but I just read an article about how people have really suffered with the teeth since having the bypass and look like they are on meth. There were loads of comments which now is scaring me! Every time I think I have made a decision, something else comes up!

Wow, I hadn't heard that one. My teeth are straight and healthy and white and look lovely. No issues there.

My experience was that at 2 years out (currently past the 6 year mark) my sleeve capacity increased a lot. I think it relaxed over time. I became able to eat a full meal of food in a similar portion size as before sleeve.

The sleeve will not stop you from overeating except in the very early stages after surgery. I think it is important to get that fact out in the open. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Circlesis said:

My experience was that at 2 years out (currently past the 6 year mark) my sleeve capacity increased a lot. I think it relaxed over time. I became able to eat a full meal of food in a similar portion size as before sleeve.

The sleeve will not stop you from overeating except in the very early stages after surgery. I think it is important to get that fact out in the open. Good luck!

Thank you 🙂 x

8 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

Wow, I hadn't heard that one. My teeth are straight and healthy and white and look lovely. No issues there.

Great - thank you 🙂 x

3 minutes ago, Skip111178 said:

Great - thank you 🙂 x

But after I think about this, I bet a lot of it has to do with whether people are diligent about taking their Vitamins and supplements. I haven't missed a day of Vit. D, B12, Multi, and calcium citrate.

7 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

But after I think about this, I bet a lot of it has to do with whether people are diligent about taking their Vitamins and supplements. I haven't missed a day of Vit. D, B12, Multi, and calcium citrate.

I hope you are right as this has really stopped me in my tracks! I love my smile and I don't want to lose it. x