Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass- 12/11/20

Well first. Congrats in your date! My number one advice is definitely walk after surgery! The gas pain you feel, in your upper chest, arms, etc, is super uncomfortable. And the best way to get rid of it is walking little by little.

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my gastric bypass on 11/03. Although I don’t want to negate the advice to definitely walk after surgery, I think I’d advise listening to your body. I wasn’t able to walk after surgery because I got my period within an hour of waking up after. It was miserable because it was a particularly rough period, so I spent my entire hospital stay in bed and in pain. If you’re not able to walk after, it’s okay. The gas pain might hang around for a bit longer, but definitely don’t try movement too early if it makes you lightheaded or if it increases your heart rate rapidly (which happened with me).

My other advice is to take fluids gradually once you’re allowed them. The hospital where I was treated had a fluids challenge that let me work up slowly from 1 oz of Water over an hour to 4 oz of Protein Drink over an hour. It was hard for me not to treat that like a competition. There’s no competition. Find a good pace for yourself as you begin to self-hydrate.

And something I learned on this discussion board: you will be heavier for the first several days home than you were when you went into surgery. This is just Fluid weight from your IV in the hospital and isn’t real. So don’t weigh yourself for at least your first week home.

I was told to expect a two-night stay, and it turned out to be two nights and the entire next day. Stabilizing my electrolytes and heart rate took some extra time. I think the hospital where I was treated tells everyone at least 2 nights for bypass. But I’ve seen some people on here say that they stayed only one night.

Congratulations on your surgery date! That's awesome. My gastric sleeve surgery was on 10/28. I was so worried about multiple things I read that other people experienced I almost changed my mind. I am so glad I didn't. I was in the hospital for 2 nights. The only tough time I had was immediately after surgery when waking up. Extreme nausea which they dealt with very, very quickly. I didn't have gas pains or problems with swallowing. I can't say enough positive things about my experience thus far. I'm really, really grateful. I 1000% agree with not weighing yourself after surgery. My weight was higher and I didn't begin to show a loss for about a week or so. That can be a tad discouraging. In summary, stay focused on why you have made this decision and know that everyone's experience is different. Blessings to you on your journey!

Oh it's so exciting when you get a surgery date, isn't it? Pack light for the hospital, just a phone/charger, lip balm, comb, and maybe some body lotion. You won't need pajamas or anything really. You'll be pretty nauseous for 24 hours afterward. Walk as much as you can to get the gas out and keep your mind off the nausea. Be patient with yourself.