Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to sleeve

Hi Everyone I was banded in 2009 I started having serious stomach problems, Severe GERD and gaining weight back. My doctor removed all Fluid out of my band. I’m looking to get a revision to the sleeve. I start my nutrition appointments tomorrow and have a pyshch evaluation next Monday. They plan to remove the band in January hoping to move through the six months and become sleeved. Excited to begin this journey.

Hello,

I just had a conversion from band to sleeve September 21st. I was banded in 2010 and loved it and did really well until a few years ago when the GERD became unbearable. They removed the Fluid from my band first and I had to wait about 6 months to get the surgery and I gained 40 pounds, the result of no restriction and not being able to work out because my gym closed due to Covid. Yes, I know I could have worked out on my own but I'm not good at that at all LOL. I've been doing fitness boot camp for years and it's the only thing that works for me. I need a coach to crack the whip, otherwise I tend to just stay on the couch.

The surgery was much easier than I thought it would be and GERD has not been a problem, but I am still on Omeprazole. It's too bad you can't have the revision all at once rather than having two surgeries, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing. I think this is pretty common now and most people do really well. My weight loss has been slow, partly because of my age (60) and because I still haven't been back to the gym, it's open again but I still don't think it's safe to go. Unfortunately for me if I don't work out every day I just don't lose weight. It's always been that way for me. I am glad I had the revision though and I'm trying to figure out a way to get my workouts in on my own. I'll get there!

I wish you luck on your journey, I'm sure you'll do well and I'm sure you're making the right decision!

@Barbwired & @toytoy Our stories are so similar..... I to was banded 11/10/2009. Did great till 2017 when i was going through a divorce (25-26 years) and then i got a stomach virus and couldn't stop throwing up..... slipped band and ER removal 3/23/2017... Worse day EVER. I lost my beloved band Tina. At the time i lost her i had not gained any weight and was at my steady 143lbs. Because it was ER i was not giving the option to wait or revise. Looking back on it i wish i had been given the choice.... But because i didn't gain, my dr said i didn't weigh enough anyway. And that's what i heard from every dr after that. Fast forward a little... i started with a few lbs here and there and no matter what i did i could not get the scale to go back the other way. I was starting to get depressed and then the beginning of 2019 i started menopause (50). When May-June came around i was up to 173lbs. (30lbs). Planning a wedding for Sept and i was steady gaining..... so i upped my search and found a dr. here that agreed to do the revision. I really wanted the MGB, but he doesn't do that.... so the sleeve it was. It went quickly as i told the dr i wanted to go as fast a possible, all other appointments went... bam bam.. Done. He noted in my chart that i was a "revision" (2.5 years later) and what my BMI was back in 2009 was 44, how well i did and that in 2.5 years i had only gained 30lbs. Handed over 14k and was sleeved 8/28/19..... Married 9/26/19 20lbs lighter. As of today i'm at 120lbs and have been since Juneishhhh.... (-53lbs)

Barb.. i'm the same way, i like the gym but i have to go straight from work, do not stop anywhere, do not pass GO... hehe.... if i do, i'll go home and that's where i stay. I have not exercised a day since Covid started. I did for the months of Aug-Jan...(crossfit). But nothing since.

Honestly, the sleeve sx was one of the easiest i ever had.... sx on Wednesday and back to work on Monday he even fixed a HH. @toytoy Is there a reason they can't do the removal and revision at the same time? The weight loss has for me been pretty easy and no complications. No vomiting, no getting stuck, no fills... I went see the dr every 3 months and now i'm on maintenance and only have to go once a year (unless i have issues).

Personally, i think us Band-members that did well with the band do well with the sleeve. I know the band taught me how to eat better and it has made a huge difference. People that didn't do well with the sleeve i see them having more of their same issues.

Thank so much for replying, I don’t know why he just said he doesn’t and want to remove it 2 months prior. My appointment went good today just some uncertainty with insurance. I got my lap band under United health care and now I have bcbs.