Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

URGENT - Before Going To Mexico

I've been a big fan of being Banded in Mexico until this past weekend. I just underwent my SIXTH Band related surgery (four major surgeries under anesthesia; two minor ones, plus countless other lab tests and appointments.)

Please do not go to Mexico until you have made an appointment with a local LapBand doctor to discuss your aftercare options. Don't set foot in Mexico until you are sure that you can get the care you need close to home, especially if you have an emergency. Most Band-related complications are not the type that require emergency services, but when you are scared, in pain, can't swallow, can't hold food down, have severe stomach pain, your port hurts or is popping out, you have a leaking infected incision, or any other Band-related complication, you'll want to get to a doctor within a day or two, not by the end of the month. Trust me on this one, many of us have been there!

I'm sick with grief right now. I don't want to slam any of the Mexican doctors, because if they practiced in the United States, they would most likely be our top surgeons. However, the standards of care in Mexico are way below US standards. I've had an open wound since May, yet nobody in Mexico (I've been there for 3 surgeries) has ever even did a culture, biopsy, or endoscopy; they just diagnosed and operated. I finally found a US surgeon. He operated on me this week and did everything in his power to figure out why I had an open wound, including an endoscopy, a laporoscopy, lab tests, blood tests, a biopsy, a breath test for H-Pylori - the list goes on and on.

Mexican doctors are not bad, but they don't go to the same lengths as required by doctors in America. It's been my experience that they treat you based on their first impression of what may (or may not) be wrong with you. In the US, people are lawsuit-happy. So many doctors have been sued that surgeons here have been forced to uncover every possible diagnosis before making a treatment, but luckily, that means we get the best care possible. Medical Malpractice insurance keeps our local surgeons on their toes. Mexico doesn't share the same problem with so many law suits related to medical malpractice. Kind of a Catch-22 situation. This is simply MY experience. Unfortunately, I've met many others that share these types of problems.

If money is no object to you, then do yourself a favor and get it done in the US, where the higest level of medical standards are required to be met.

The best way to get Banded would to find a local surgeon that accepts Mexican patients. Go to that surgeon first for a check-up, and to discuss your plans for Mexico. Once that doctor agrees to see you, make a future appointment with him, only THEN should you go to Mexico to get your Band. As soon as your band is placed, go back to your local doctor for a checkup. Keep relations open with both your Band surgeon and your local doctor. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get a second opinion.

I went to Mexico cause it only cost me $7,500. But now I have to add in 5 additional procedures, my traveling expenses, incidental costs, time lost from work, etc. I can't give you the numbers because I'm scared to death to add them up. I went there to save money, but I could have gotten banded locally and saved myself all the horror.

So, before going to Mexico, you gotta post here that you've got aftercare lined up or I won't let you go!

ALSO, MAKE SURE THEY PLACE THE INAMED BAND! There are many bands out there, but you will have a very difficult time getting someone to service your band in the US unless it is the Inamed LapBand.

Lisa, thank you for sharing some very valuable advice. It's unfortunate that you had to learn it at such a high personal cost (financially, physically, and emotionally). Hopefully other pre-bandsters will read this post and learn from your experiences.

De Larla, I made the mistake of not having someone for aftercare, after my surgery I was very ill and landed in the hospital at an expense of $15,000+, My problem was minor, I was swollen and couldn't keep fluids down, but all the MRI and X rays that were done, sure add up. I went back to Mexico to get a fill first part of January and have differerence in restriction that I had right after the surgery. I have been trying to find a doctor that will fill me in Florida, but the three that I have found, one of them doesn't do patients that were banded in Mexico and the other two are outrageously expensive, Dr. Grossbard in Clearwater wants $1000 for the first consultation and then $500 for the fill, that is too much, and Dr. Rosenthal on the east coast wants $250-450 for the first consult and then $658 for a fill, for that kind of money, I might as well fly to Mexico, the airfare is about $250 and my fill only costs $100 for the xrays, Is this how much fills generally cost here in the US? It is just not right. Well I better start planning my trip to Mexico.

Guys, I couldn't agree more with Lisa. I too had some personal issues with my care from my original band surgeon and had to have a second operation myself. If I had not done this second surgery I would certainly have ended up with the same problems as Lisa.

I agree you better have your follow up doc in place before you go to Mexico or Lisa and I will come and kick your butts. And there are those on this board that know we will do it too. LOL!! Only because we Love you guys and want you to have a safe recovery.

I guess I am lucky then to live so close to the border becasue driving to Dr. Billy ( he is the closest US doc for me that is Inamed certified that will take patients from Mexico, I have called them all from OC to LA ) or driving to Dr. Ortiz is the same distance and I'd much rather go south then north on the 5 frwy on a weekday not to mention there is a sense of security "for me" going to my original surgeon....

I had a problem with esaophagitis ..called Dr. Ortiz on a evening at 6:30 and I met him in his office on his day off the next morning at 9:00 am , it was just him and I & he spent over an hour with me answering all of my questions and checking my band under flouro with the barium, prescribed me a medication even called the next day to see how I was and called the day after that..2 weeks later when he knew I had finished my medication he called again...he was very caring and concerned..so you can get good aftercare in Mexico...This is just my experience and like I said I guess I'm one of the lucky ones

Lisa I am curious though ..didnt you also have 2 or 3 doctors here in the US who also looked at your wound who did not do a culture either? If I recall correctly , you did right? ..so why do you say none of the 3 doctors in Mexico did a culture when the Dr's here did not do one either? Just curious

I agree though with Lisa & Penni that if you live out of the area and not close to the border like I do, you must arrange aftercare in your area prior to your surgery in Mexico..it is vital, especially in the event of an emergency.

Lisa, it's those very concerns about aftercare which have me rethinking what surgery I'll have. There is, quite literally, nobody up here who could help me if I had a problem. It's very scary. I just have to decide if bypass surgery with good aftercare (and an excellent surgeon) is more or less scary than banding with no aftercare at all. ::gulp::

Hope you're well on your way to recovery, m'dear. You back home now?

DeLarla, You've been through sooo much. I sincerly wish you the best and hope that you will feel normal again very, very soon.

Michelle, nobody in the US did cultures because nobody here was willing (or able) to treat a Banded patient. The 2 Urgent Care docs lanced and drained the wound and prescribed antibiotics but told me to go back to Mexico for care. The local surgeon was hesitant to do anything other than clean the wound since he's not a Band doc. And the local Band doc simply sent me for an Upper GI so I could show the results to Billy and was too scared to do anything else (he simply doesn't touch Mexican patients.)

Michelle, you gotta admit that you're one of the exceptions when it comes to Americans banded in Mexico on LBT. You practically live in Mexico, and Ortiz does take very good care of you. He offered to take care of me, as well, but I had a lot of options to weigh, one being Ortiz & Lopez used to be partners, and now they seem to be at odds with each other. I didn't want to put Ortiz in any position where he would be stepping on Lopez's feet, so to say. I haven't seen many complaints about Ortiz, but still, when you're having an emergency, getting to Mexico (for most of us) is really inconvenient. I knew that when I had my orginal surgery, but I never expected 8 entire months of emergencies! And it's all because surgeons in Mexico aren't required to offer the same standard of care as in the US. On top of the tube not being tucked in my abdomen (where it belonged) and having it draped under an inflamed wound, my American doc found 6-7 sutures floating around in me. He didn't even know what they were from, but he knew they weren't necessary so he removed them. After all these months, 3 trips to Mexico, all my irritation, the infection, gallons of leakage, a wound that refused to close, etc., you'd think somebody might have taken them out just for sport. Why would ANYONE leave them just floating around?

I am not telling people to avoid Mexico. I think it's a great option, but only if you have someone close by in case of emergencies. For me, Billy is about the same distance as Mexico, but I have family and friends an hour away from Billy's office. So instead of flying to San Diego, taking a taxi to the boarder, walking across the boarder, taking a taxi to the doctor, ect., all I gotta do is fly to California, where my friends argue with my family about who gets to pick me up and who I'll stay with.

The whole point to this post is to be proactive and make sure you'll have convenient and safe aftercare. I'm not the only one that's been in such a horrible position. There are way, way, way too many of us. And this is only one board, so there are many others that we don't know about. Plus the poor souls who don't own a computer or aren't aware of these boards.

Amen to this thread. Thanks, DeLarla, for posting this for newcomers. I'm one of the lucky ones who had both a good Mexican surgeon and good aftercare options -- but then, I live in a big city and was lucky enough to find one of the surgeon's proteges in town.

If anyone is considering getting banded in Mexico, please take DeLarla's advice and arrange your aftercare doctor -- local or in Mexico -- before you take the big step.

I agree 100% to get your aftercare lined up prior to being banded in Mexico unless you intend on going back there for fills and you feel comfortable going there in case of an emergency.

This thread is not meant to slam any surgeon in either country. IT is simply a wakeup call to those that are considering being banded out of the US to consider what you would do for fill and emergent situations. Just be proactive in your aftercare. That's all.

Lisa,

I am so sorry that you've had to go through all of this. As a nurse, I just don't know how any of the docs. that you saw for the draining wound could blow you off the way that they did and refuse to culture your wound. For that matter, they could have AT LEAST given you an RX for a broad spectrum antibiotic to see if that would heal your wound up. It seems that all U.S. docs are terrified of the whole liability thing.

I am lucky to have found a great surgeon who will provide my aftercare and even though his office is a 2 hr drive away from where I live I consider myself lucky.

BUT... had I known what I know now, (I found this out just TODAY 2/2), I would have had him do my surgery in a heartbeat. My aftercare Dr. has a "package" deal. Surgery, hospital, labs, anesthesia, AND 2 WHOLE YEARS of aftercare including all fills for: get this.... 12,500.00. Hindsight is 20/20.

If my band has to be replaced, I will have my aftercare Dr. replace it.

Dr. Kuri was fine. But he's kind of like a car salesman, he knows his business, does a great job at it, but DON'T expect a call after you drive the car away "just to see how you're new car is running." I think the main difference between the U.S. and Mexico is the follow up.. It's just not the same.

I hope you are on the mend, and I am so glad you found Dr. Billy. I sure hope that he will continue to give you all of your follow ups from now on.

I think this would also apply to those of us who are getting their band in one state while living/staying in another. I'll be getting my band installed in the Seatle area, but I spend most of my time in SE ID.

Of course, I'm not too sure of the medical care in this area anyway, judging by my experineces in the ER with my asthma... But all my after care will be done in Seattle, so it means either a flight or having my DH come and get me...

If you are going to MX or any other country to get banded, I do agree that you should find your follow up doctor BEFORE YOU EVER LEAVE THE STATES. Before you ever go, you should plan ahead and tell the doctor, coordinator, secretary, or WHOEVER, you deal with that you will need you O.R. papers. Even if you are planning on traveling back to MX or wherever to do your follow-up you should plan to get these papers. I really thought I would go back and decided not to and had a time getting my O.R. papers. Most doctors here will not see you unless you have these.

I have found several doctors that will do fills and follow-up on pts. who were banded outside of the US, but it comes with a price. Some are very high. The doctor that I was planning on using gave me a price of 560.00 per fill as of last week. But this past Monday, his coordinator informed me that they now have a new policy. It is 2000.00 for the 1st year and 560.00 a fill the 2nd year. This is in GA. There is a Doctor in Atlanta that does fills for 600.00. A doctor in Nashville that does fills for about the same, another in Nashville that charges 500.00 for the 1st visit and 400.00 after that. But there is a doctor in Dallas, TX that does them for 250.00. He is at the Central Imagining of Arlington. This place has been the cheapest so far. But if you are like me, by the time I pay for a plane ticket that costs 200.00 - 300.00, it's easier just to stay pretty much local. I may have to drive a couple of hours, but that's ok.

But I will have to say that I was banded by Dr. Arturo Rodriguez in Monterrey, MX and he is GREAT! I really do wish that I were closer to him.

Pati, I'm grateful to all my Banded nurse friends here on LBT. Several nurses doubted Dr. Lopez's rejection theory from the start. I was placed on a universal antibiotic, but the wound was never going to close because the tube was so close to the skin. And I did ask the urgent care doctors to do a culture. I practically begged, but they refused. They said the antibiotic would disrupt the results, but even more they wouldn't be able to fix the port or tubing even if they knew what was wrong, so they just kept telling me to go back to Mexico.

My original doctor referred me to several local Band surgeons for emergency aftercare. I should have called them before getting the Band, but I didn't see any reason to doubt Inamed's top surgeon. Never occured to me that I'd be refused considering my doctor trained the local guy.

The whole thing certainly is exhausting. I hope my experience can save at least one person from having to go through what I've been through. If you count the procedures I've had with local anesthetics, I've had six surgeries on the same wound since May. I'd say that earns me the right to post my brains out with warnings.

I never thought to ask for my OR report or surgical records - Gagirl, you should start a new thread cause those records would have come in handy several times if I'd have thought of it. Thanks for that info.

Good call, gagirl! I have heard complaints all over about having a hard time getting paperwork. If we left MX with them, it would certainly help.

DeLarla, you have earned your threads, girl. Post away, I'm lovin all the good info!

Take Care!