Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dark menstrual bleeding and funky smell

So I don’t know if this is allowed? I just signed up reading stuff on the forums.
I had surgery on the 5th (a week ago) and ever since I have been having a dark blood discharge with a really new funk smell (horrible!). I have PCOS and “abnormal bleeding” that I control with the medication megase/ megesterol. It’s no longer controlling the bleeding.
does anyone know what this might be? Or what to do about it? Anything???

You need to go to your doctor, sorry! There are a lot of minor bacterial infections that could cause the odor but you need to be on the right antibiotic. The bleeding could be something more serious.

a lot of women experience screwed up menstrual periods the first few months due to hormone swings after surgery (the estrogen that's normally stored in fat cells starts to be released with the rapid weight loss), so it may just be that - but I'd for sure contact your doctor just in case it's something else.

I know I heard from other fellow bariatric patients on instagram that surgery will usually bring on your period. I know for me I got my period 2 days after surgery. It was a real dark blood heavy flow with a bit of funk to it and then moved onto something more normal after a few days. I wasn't due for a period for 2 weeks so I knew it was because of the surgery. I also had terrible night sweats and hot flashes the 2nd and 3rd days after surgery. So I think what happened to you is pretty normal. Hang in there it only gets better! I'm 6 days post-op!

Sent from my LM-V600 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks all!! It ended up being a yeast infection brought on by surgery. She gave me high dose and it was cleared in two days. Thank god! Then I got the nexplenon implant and that’s been great so far. 16 days post op and I’m down 20lbs! Never thought I’d see that!