Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worsening depression before bariatric sleeve

Hello all,

I am diagnosed bipolar and was recently cleared by psychiatrist for gastric sleeve. My surgery date is 11-24 and I start diet tomorrow. I’m not sure if I should postpone this. I found out my husband had been cheating on me, my chronic pain has worsened, and I’ve been feeling extremely sad and hopeless. My bariatric team has been really, really horrible. A medical error was made for prescribing meds to clear H Pylori and I suffered a terrible allergic reaction. The doctors office is not very supportive, either. Has anyone been at a low point in their mental illness before going through surgery? If so, did you decide to proceed or delay surgery?

WOW as a true guy that cheated also going to give you my view

I think you should lock down and DO IT FOR YOURSLEF. Yes i thing you have came this far and made the decision to get healthy and happy. So I say yes Do it for yourself. I would look at this as a new you! The other things are messed up but dang buckle down and get healthy. FOR no other reason then THIS IS MY TIME

Now I am a high strung male so the other stuff i can not help you with. But i will say one thing Guys are hunters it is not that he is not happy it is the f**k#$in challenge, By no means Am i defending him Guys suck and we F#$ck up

Thanks man. I really appreciate your honesty and encouragement. Right now I may not see it, but it is the best for me

Do you have a psychiatrist or therapist outside of the bariatric office? What do they think? As long as you are not suicidal or self harming, I would move ahead.

I also have chronic pain and depression and I'd rather have them without also being obese. How many pounds of ugly fat would you lose if you lost your husband? :)

Good luck and feel better.

I think you should consult with your regular mental health professional. None of us here is qualified to advise you. This is an intensely personal decision that deserves proper counsel.

First of all, let me extend a big hug to you. You need it! I agree with what is stated above; a mental health professional would be a good idea. I’m so sorry that your health team hasn’t been supportive. I am very fortunate to have a great team. I can’t speak for you, but, if it were myself, I would continue my journey for myself. I have put things in my life on hold, due to other people, long enough and decided to stop this behavior. I hope this helps!

Oh my goodness! I am sorry that you are dealing with this! I would work with your psychiatrist to get in the best mental space possible to do this, work with your primary care physician to deal with the chronic pain and kick his a$$ to the curb! Do this for you! Good luck in whatever you decide!

My dog -- who was like my child -- died two days before my surgery and I was in a dark place. I decided to go ahead with the surgery - it gave me something to focus on. I don't want to advise you to do it -- if you aren't in a good head space as this is a major surgery and a big commitment. Even though I was beyond depressed -- I really didn't think twice about having the surgery... if you're not confident you can handle it, then I say perhaps it is best to postpone it.

Can you talk to your psychiatrist and get advice?

All good advice. We aren't professionals, we can only share our experiences. Nothing was better for my mental health and self esteem than watching the pounds drop daily over the first months. I felt like a million bucks. Add in all the pluses from weight loss and I am in a very good place right now. I wish you well.

Edited by It's time.

13 hours ago, JessLess said:

Your post made me LOL and was very encouraging. Thanks!

Do you have a psychiatrist or therapist outside of the bariatric office? What do they think? As long as you are not suicidal or self harming, I would move ahead.

I also have chronic pain and depression and I'd rather have them without also being obese. How many pounds of ugly fat would you lose if you lost your husband? :)

Good luck and feel better.

7 hours ago, kellym1220 said:

Oh my goodness! I am sorry that you are dealing with this! I would work with your psychiatrist to get in the best mental space possible to do this, work with your primary care physician to deal with the chronic pain and kick his a$$ to the curb! Do this for you! Good luck in whatever you decide!

Thank you ☺️

8 hours ago, Bobbifaces said:

First of all, let me extend a big hug to you. You need it! I agree with what is stated above; a mental health professional would be a good idea. I’m so sorry that your health team hasn’t been supportive. I am very fortunate to have a great team. I can’t speak for you, but, if it were myself, I would continue my journey for myself. I have put things in my life on hold, due to other people, long enough and decided to stop this behavior. I hope this helps!

I think you pretty much said it... enough of putting life on hold for other people. I think this is what got me to this weight in the first place, was taking care of everyone else and not paying attention to what I was putting into my own body. Amazing how we don't always see it that way!