Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNY because of GERD, not weight loss?

Hi everyone!

Brand new to the forums here. I am gearing up for my December 15, Roux-en Y surgery at Stanford Medical. I know that a majority of patients get the RNY for weight loss. I've been having a hard time finding people who have the surgery to purely address GERD/Acid Reflux. Is there a thread here specifically for this? I'd love to find some people going through the same thing so I can be supportive as well. 😍

There are a number of threads, including mine, about having RNY for GERD in the Revision forum.

Thank you @foxbins and @greentealael ! So thrilled to find others going through some of the same issues! 😍

12 hours ago, AmandaQB said:

Hi everyone!

Brand new to the forums here. I am gearing up for my December 15, Roux-en Y surgery at Stanford Medical. I know that a majority of patients get the RNY for weight loss. I've been having a hard time finding people who have the surgery to purely address GERD/Acid Reflux. Is there a thread here specifically for this? I'd love to find some people going through the same thing so I can be supportive as well. 😍

Hi AmandaQB!

I’m RavensLady Annette. Nice to meet you. My surgery is next week, November 18th. I am also having the Roux-en Y Bypass surgery. My surgery will be done at Wake Forest Baptist Health in North Carolina. The only reasons I am having this surgery is to have a Hiatal Hernia repaired and GERD/Acid Reflux problems. I would love your support as well as give you my support if I can.

On 11/11/2020 at 6:10 AM, RavensLady Annette said:

Hi AmandaQB!

I’m RavensLady Annette. Nice to meet you. My surgery is next week, November 18th. I am also having the Roux-en Y Bypass surgery. My surgery will be done at Wake Forest Baptist Health in North Carolina. The only reasons I am having this surgery is to have a Hiatal Hernia repaired and GERD/Acid Reflux problems. I would love your support as well as give you my support if I can.

Hi RavensLady Annette! Thanks so much for reaching out! How exciting you are nearing your surgery date. 🤩 I'm going to start following your profile so I can stay updated on your progress!

Not the only reason but a huge factor for me is the control of GERD. My surgeon told me that RNY was originally done for ppl with stomach ulcers + to treat GERD.

Then surgeons started to notice how much weight loss occurred in ppl after the surgery

8 hours ago, Stephanie4A said:

Not the only reason but a huge factor for me is the control of GERD. My surgeon told me that RNY was originally done for ppl with stomach ulcers + to treat GERD.

Then surgeons started to notice how much weight loss occurred in ppl after the surgery

Yes! That's what my surgeon said as well. Do you have a surgery date yet?

21 hours ago, Stephanie4A said:

I had my bypass on Sept 1-the reason for choosing this over sleeve was gerd stage 3, previous ulcers and fatty liver disease, stage 2. Gerd was a huge factor for which one to have but they were also very concerned for my fatty liver going to nash and found the bypass to be the quickest way to give my liver a chance to begin reparation, if possible. My biopsies confirmed it and my last fibroscan with labs already showed reduction to stage 1 and repair of the scarring. Gerd still there but not as bad to swallow now with an ability to breathe much, much easier now. Still belching a lot (3 months post-op) but I had a pretty bad case of it and Doc says to give it at least 6 months. They also still have me on heavy 'zoles' (Panzaprazole and omniprazole both for now).

On 11/25/2020 at 5:12 AM, ichabodny said:

I had my bypass on Sept 1-the reason for choosing this over sleeve was gerd stage 3, previous ulcers and fatty liver disease, stage 2. Gerd was a huge factor for which one to have but they were also very concerned for my fatty liver going to nash and found the bypass to be the quickest way to give my liver a chance to begin reparation, if possible. My biopsies confirmed it and my last fibroscan with labs already showed reduction to stage 1 and repair of the scarring. Gerd still there but not as bad to swallow now with an ability to breathe much, much easier now. Still belching a lot (3 months post-op) but I had a pretty bad case of it and Doc says to give it at least 6 months. They also still have me on heavy 'zoles' (Panzaprazole and omniprazole both for now).

Glad to hear you are feeling better and have some relief! I'm sure it's awesome to be on the road to being healthier!

Hi I had mine due to Gerd. Had sleeve done in 2013, hiatal hernia repair with complications 10/5/20 and had conversion to bypass 11/9/20

I had a revision on May 23 2020 due to gerd that caused erosive esophagitis D. 6 months later it has gone down to A which is great. I still have burning and am going to have the bravo test soon to find out why I am still producing so much acid since I am still taking 60mg Dexilant, pepcid at night, and carafette.

@Gretamarie3 I was supposed to, and then they moved my surgery up one week so I just ended up doing just one. I had my bypass on the 8th. :)

I am only 5 pounds overweight now but may need a revision to bypass for GERD