Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to tell work during co-vid??

I am going for mini gastric bypass surgery and don't want to tell work.

Any suggestions of surgeries I can say I am having? Keeping in mind that it is during co-vid so it needs to be something that I NEED to get done as hospitals I dont think are doing surgeries that can wait?

Suggestions?

hernia surgery? Gall bladder surgery?

Hiatal hernia. It works beautifully with your weird eating afterwards as well.

I told my work that I was having gallbladder removal surgery (which I did, it was just while I was also having gastric bypass) but I had to tell our Human Resources office everything for me to qualify for FMLA bc the hospital fills out the paperwork. But legally they are not allowed to tell anyone about you or your medical history.

I started a new contract about 2 weeks after surgery. I was still pretty run down & my blood pressure was crazy low. They knew I’d just had surgery before commencing work & were very understanding if I had to leave earlier. I was never asked what the surgery was for because the boss presumed it was female issues. Sometimes it helps to be in your 50s. Lol!

Good luck with your surgery.

I never told my job. A medical procedure of none of their business. My CEO at the time was a total weirdo and I thought he might resent our health insurance rates going up (if they did) as a result the surgery.

I wasn’t going to tell my work anything. I was using a week of annual leave, then returning to teleworking. Unfortunately, I ended up back at the hospital after a few days with dehydration. Totally fixable, but I realized my recovery wasn’t going to be smooth and I was going to need more time off. (I also had an absolute need to sleep like a hibernating bear.) I needed a doctors note and an ‘explanation’. I wish I had prepared for this possibility ahead of time. Anyway, I took the .pdf of the doctors note and erased where it said “Bariatric Center”, submitted it to my boss with a very terse explanation that I had a procedure that hadn’t gone as smoothly as expected and needed an extra week using sick leave. I added that it was not related to COVID. My boss just replied with prayers, and asked for no details , but I got the impression that he thought it might be something much more serious. Now I’m somewhat worried that I might have to squash some rumors of serious illness once I get back to the office. I kind of wish I had gone with the hernia or gallbladder explanation. Even if that’s a transparent explanation/code for WLS I hate the idea that I have given coworkers the idea that I am seriously ill.

I didn't tell my work anything. I took 4 vacation days and didn't offer any other details. I was super tired for a few weeks, but was able to hide it since I'm working from home until travel is opened back up. The good thing is that I was already starting to increase my exercise program and focusing on diet before my procedure, so now that I have lost weight (and it is now obvious on zoom calls), I don't think anybody suspects anything. I'm not going to hide it if anybody asks point-blank, but I don't feel it is information that I need to broadcast.

I told my work I was having a colectomy to treat diverticulitis. It’s similar to bypass surgery.

I ended up not saying anything. I took a few vacation days. Starting Monday we are in lockdown for at least 28 days. So I will be working from home I’m sure until the end of December. So it worked out for me that nobody needs to know.

I told people I was getting hiatal hernia surgery.